Mo' mem, or hardware refresh?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
My PC is like grandfather's axe, its the same axe although it keeps getting upgraded and about the only original thing left is the keyboard.

Last upgrade was around eight years ago, with a GA-970A-D3 motherboard, AMD Phenom 2 X6 2.7GHz processor and 16GB of DDR3 RAM. Since then I've gone through three graphics cards and now I'm running a GTX1050Ti 4GB on two monitors.

Performance is more than adequate for what I do, a train simulator (I don't play often) maxes the processor and can be a bit choppy and another sim (I do play often) keeps banging against the memory rev limiter, causing it to crash every couple of days. Nothing else goes anywhere near the cpu/mem/gpu limits.

Because the memory is now considered ancient, it's going to cost over $350 to get 32GB and that might not be a good investment given the other components are in their twilight years.

DDR4 memory is around half that cost, but I'd be up for a new motherboard, processor and PSU, and then spend a day or more ******* around trying to get the combo working with Win7. Or spend a couple of hundred more and go for a new system and port the graphics/drives across, and then spend two days or more ******* around trying to get my apps reinstalled. Hard call given I'm a dole bludger and want to hang onto my covid supplement savings to survive the rollback.

What is the opinion of the BigFooty hive mind? RAM and hope the PSU/mobo/processor soldiers on, or bite the bullet and set myself up for another few years?

Went the new mobo, new processor, new memory, new PSU, new case route.

Fk me what an absolute shitshow. Five hours in and I'm ready to throw the lot in the bin. Shop charges $70 for a build, tempted to take it back tomorrow, dump it on the counter with $70 cash and tell them to have at it.

Believe it or not, ten minutes after posting that I've got it to work. Had to dig out my oldest video card and VGA-cable attach it to a scungy monitor. That was so it could tell me my video card did not support UEFI booting. Went into BIOS setup, accepted defaults, saved and rebooted, up she came.

******* thing.

Now the Windows pain begins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back