Society/Culture Monkey image & athletes?

Remove this Banner Ad

NavyHair101

Senior List
Jul 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
A post on the Carlton Board got me thinking, given the outrage over Adam Goodes, what has happened with NBA players being called monkeys and the general greater awareness around nicknames (not to mention the Pies saga), is it ever ok to use an image of a monkey when posting about a player?

In the context of whether Michael Gibbons, who looks like this:

gibbo.jpg

We had a poster put up the following:

original post.jpg

Now personally I found it funny. I didn't see any racial intent and I thought it was very clever. Clearly a play on the surname vs monkey type and hanging off a branch signifies being dropped. But then the BML movement got me thinking - is this an example of me not understanding my own racial prejudices? Is this offensive?

So I ask for SRP Board for guidance - is this ok and more broadly, is it ever ok to associate players with monkey images? I don't want to hear from the Karen's or the statue toppers, but the average person. This is ok right?

It's ok by me - clearly a play on Gibbons' surname and not intended to be in any way derogatory. Play on.

That said, I probably wouldn't post it in the current climate because the chances are at least one person will link it to racism and I couldn't be ****ed dealing with that.

• Banned
Yep I basically share your view. Am fine with it but wouldn’t post it. I guess anonymous username so chances of the poster being identified are low. Would hate to think it offends Gibbo though

What would happen if the monkey taunts to Andrew Symonds on the cricket field in the subcontinent happened today?

• Banned
What would happen if the monkey taunts to Andrew Symonds on the cricket field in the subcontinent happened today?

All hell would break loose.

Interesting I raised this issue with some colleagues today - the consensus was it is racist and abhorrent. I’m 22 and they were aged 22-27 so on the young side. I wonder if age influences this? I am surprised at the lack of response to this topic tbh

Also what are your thoughts on the post RN? Ok? Or too far?
I agree with TheWoodenSlug. Play on words, no intent to be racist.

Probably not worth posting on SM due to the shitstorm it would cause. As a regular visitor of Twitter the treatment of innocent posters posting stuff that has been taken out of context by the unhinged has been borderline frightening.

It's more important whether Gibbons himself would find it offensive rather than the masses. But yeah I think it's unwise to do this, given the history and connotations of using monkeys. Too bad his last name isn't Partridge or Bullock, nobody cares about those animals since there's no existing racist trope about them.

• Banned
It's more important whether Gibbons himself would find it offensive rather than the masses. But yeah I think it's unwise to do this, given the history and connotations of using monkeys. Too bad his last name isn't Partridge or Bullock, nobody cares about those animals since there's no existing racist trope about them.

Gibbo has been asked on Twitter. Let's see if he responds.

No it is not more important whether the person who was the target finds its offensive. Any individual can claim they find anything offensive. What matters is 1) if the person who said it intended it to be offensive 2) if the majority of people would find it offensive and therefore see the target as either a victim or someone worthy of shame.

Gibbo has been asked on Twitter. Let's see if he responds.
Who cares what he thinks. We dont know if he is good at perception. He may just be a sore loser when it comes to nicknames. What matters is did the person who sent it intend it to be a play on his name or a reference to race or looks? If the former ok. If the latter then that is disgusting. Its the person who sent it whose action we are judging.

Who cares what he thinks. We dont know if he is good at perception. He may just be a sore loser when it comes to nicknames. What matters is did the person who sent it intend it to be a play on his name or a reference to race or looks? If the former ok. If the latter then that is disgusting. Its the person who sent it whose action we are judging.

Couldn't the person just always deny any ill intent though?

Isn't it what does a reasonable person think? In my view, a reasonable person would see no racist or ill intent so it is fine. That said, in this day and age I would not do it. I am also surprised it was allowed.

Couldn't the person just always deny any ill intent though?

Isn't it what does a reasonable person think? In my view, a reasonable person would see no racist or ill intent so it is fine. That said, in this day and age I would not do it. I am also surprised it was allowed.
They can deny ill intent. Do we believe them? The victim can sometimes help us determine if there was intent. But plenty of times they cant. We should not make victims sole judge.

Yes you are right its what the reasonable person or majority think. We usually treat the two terms as interchangable in this circumstance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always been curious as to the origins of the "ape," "monkey" and "chimp" sledges in sport towards black people. I spent years living in Darwin and dealing with a lot of folks from remote indigenous communities and I honestly have never heard even once, one of these terms used directly towards or in relation to a black person.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back