Society/Culture Does the Australian flag have an image problem?

Remove this Banner Ad

Does the indigenous flag now an image problem? Alot of people wearing it yesterday where not exactly respectful.

If that's the case then every flag has an image problem......................... depending on how one views it.

Do you believe the Aboriginal flag and by extension any indigenous (as you mentioned) has an image problem?

On the back of a small minority protesting?

My answer would be no, others views may differ.

Does the Hawthorn flag now have an image problem? Has it always had an image problem?

We all know the Collingwood flag has an image problem, just coz Collingwood - that one doesn't need a valid reason.

If that's the case then every flag has an image problem......................... depending on how one views it.

Do you believe the Aboriginal flag and by extension any indigenous (as you mentioned) has an image problem?

On the back of a small minority protesting?

My answer would be no, others views may differ.

Does the Hawthorn flag now have an image problem? Has it always had an image problem?

We all know the Collingwood flag has an image problem, just coz Collingwood - that one doesn't need a valid reason.
Well thats the jist of the thread. Im with you thinking the flags don't and its the yahoos that have the image problem. (So definitely your pie supports, very noisy as the scg last Saturday;)).

Is this really what you think Jim?

Or is this another pathetic attempt at both sidesing?
If we're sidesing, we've just witnessed a brutal display of power from the monarchists with dissent all but crushed over the past fortnight, it's hard to complain much about a few republican protests now
Public opinion over the last fortnight for the Republican movement has nosed dived with the fortnight with how people dressed up in Aboriginal flags have been acting. Viewed very similar to people who do they same thing with the Australian flag which this thread is about.

Public opinion over the last fortnight for the Republican movement has nosed dived with the fortnight with how people dressed up in Aboriginal flags have been acting. Viewed very similar to people who do they same thing with the Australian flag which this thread is about.
Do you have evidence that that is the reason?

If that's true I'd suggest you enjoy the sugar hit while it lasts and before the reality of King Charles kicks in.

Ah, so it’s more of a poorly worded culture war tangent that you are putting forward?

When I look at the sort of people who wrap themselves in the indigenous flag I honestly don't see a lot to be proud of, bludgers, Lidia Thorpe, Extinction rebellion, Bandt and his flag antics, the indigenous flag as a cape crowd. These people certainly don't represent the best of us and yet they seem to have co-opted our indigenous symbol as their own leading some people to be a touch reticent in displaying it lest they be lumped in with these type of people. Does our indigenous have an image problem?

Interesting how easy it is the flip the script.

Yeah, and I guess that is what this thread is precisely about.

The most obvious example in history being the swastika

And it’s a shame that the misuse becomes what everyone sees the symbol as in the end.

There’s a lovely older bloke in my caravan park, great with the kids and happy to have a beer, tolerant, just a good fella. He has an Aussie flag off his caravan, you’d hate people to prejudge him for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A modified British flag that is at times indistinguishable from a dozen other flags is not what I'd call uniquely Australian.

Disagree. Australia is deeply beholden to both the UK and the US. It's currently the most Australian thing it could be.

Culturally and politically we are the 51st state of the US and and overseas territory of the UK.

why we have a flag with the union jack symbol on it is a joke, its like the British are still our lord and master lets move on . I prefer either the southern cross or a boxing kangaroo symbol moving forward.

I implied that you said the Cronulla riots were about rape. They weren't.

Only a certain type of person thinks it was about rape.

In part they were, that's how the whole thing started. It was reported that a young anglo girl was raped be men of Lebanese descent.

Then the *head knuckledraggers got all hot headed and went out looking to bash anyone of similar appearance. In other words an excuse to beat up who they don't like. How it all started.

I never said it was wholly and solely the reason, the beginning yes but not the sole reason. So your 2nd sentence is simplistic and naive

You need to be be careful about implying things about people you don't know. Last warning - don't do it again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back