Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 13, 2004
Vic
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The Mongrel Punt
Howdy all,

Just reading a blog post about players leaving and pulling on a different jumper. Thought this would be the best place to get some more info on the players that left and hurt supporters the most.

I reckon Jezza to the Saints would've hurt Blues supporters a fair bit. Club legend, captain and then gone. I suppose it's similar to the Judd situation, only Jezza had spent almost his whole career at Carlton before departing.

Who else have ya got?

Also, original article about players leaving is here

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2017/11/16/different-colours

Recently, hated seeing Monfries and Ryder in port colours.

Historically, Barry Davis is a pretty significant one. Had great success at North.

Both cousins at the tigers and Judd at Carlton have stung significantly. Cousins in particular.

I suppose before all that the exodus of WAFL players to the VFL used to kill me. Krakouer brothers and Maurice Rioli leaving Claremont tore me to bits as a kid. I couldn't understand what the VFL had that the WAFL didn't.

Both cousins at the tigers and Judd at Carlton have stung significantly. Cousins in particular.

I suppose before all that the exodus of WAFL players to the VFL used to kill me. Krakouer brothers and Maurice Rioli leaving Claremont tore me to bits as a kid. I couldn't understand what the VFL had that the WAFL didn't.

Interesting on the Claremont stuff. I guess that's what SA and WA clubs had to contend with - not just rival clubs in the comp poaching their players, but the interstate departures to the VFL as well

Ron Todd & Des Fothergill (Coll), Bob Pratt and Laurie Nash (South), Soapy Vallence (Carl), etc defecting to the VFA in late '30s/early '40s.

Barassi from Melbourne to Carlton during the '60s is the obvious one.

Barry Davis (Ess), Stan Alves (Melb), Doug Wade (Geel), John Rantall (South) all to North Melbourne for a flag was big in the mid-'70s.

Peter McKenna (even though he was past it) from Collingwood to Carlton in '77.

Peter Moore (Coll) and Kelvin Templeton (Foots) poached by Melbourne.

Fitzroy champs Paul Roos and Gary Pert to Sydney and Collingwood respectively.

Lockett from St Kilda to Sydney.

Footscray legend Doug Hawkins playing on at Fitzroy after the Bulldogs tried to retire him.

Umm what?
Ohhhhh that was a phone screw up.

Meant to say Krakouers leaving Claremont and even Maurice Rioli leaving after that game. Was in a rush and didn't reread.

Was more making the point that all the great WA players were being poached interstate. Apologies for any confusion.

Ohhhhh that was a phone screw up.

Meant to say Krakouers leaving Claremont and even Maurice Rioli leaving after that game. Was in a rush and didn't reread.

Was more making the point that all the great WA players were being poached interstate. Apologies for any confusion.
I know. It’s a travesty that Tarkyn Lockyer ended up at Collingwood.

.Roger Merrett and Merve Neagle leaving Essendon, probably cost us a couple flag chances.
Paddy Ryder moving to Port has hurt Essendon more than anyone is letting on.

Ron Todd & Des Fothergill (Coll), Bob Pratt and Laurie Nash (South), Soapy Vallence (Carl), etc defecting to the VFA in late '30s/early '40s.
Barassi from Melbourne to Carlton during the '60s is the obvious one.
Barry Davis (Ess), Stan Alves (Melb), Doug Wade (Geel), John Rantall (South) all to North Melbourne for a flag was big in the mid-'70s.

How dare you mention Ron Todd. The club turned his picture to the wall for many many years.

Barry Davis walked in off the street as a 17 year old in January 1962 and asked to train with the u/19s. So impressed were the Bomber's match committee of him, he played practice matches then 1 reserve game, then into the seniors for round 2 never to be dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

.Roger Merrett and Merve Neagle leaving Essendon, probably cost us a couple flag chances.
Paddy Ryder moving to Port has hurt Essendon more than anyone is letting on.
I believe if Sheedy played Salmon in the ruck like he desired instead of ruck/forward, he would've stayed & you guys would have won another flag. Amazing that he made Hawthorn's team of the century as a ruckman but is mostly remembered as a don.

I believe if Sheedy played Salmon in the ruck like he desired instead of ruck/forward, he would've stayed & you guys would have won another flag. Amazing that he made Hawthorn's team of the century as a ruckman but is mostly remembered as a don.
Sheedy is the most over rated coach of all time, with the cattle he had he should have been the Bradman of coaches, lost more prelims when we were faves to win the flag than I've had knockbacks.
Deserves every accolade for contribution to football, but * me.
In all fairness Salmon's time at the Hawks was pretty good, to me the only opposition for your best ever ruckman was Scott. I can only talk from 1968 on.
yes ,I'm an old *

Peter McKenna playing at Carlton was just wrong. Great player, and god it looked so wrong when he ran around in Carlton colors. Ray Byrne was another one. He left Carlton then went to Collingwood and Geelong. Ofcourse you cannot forget how Carlton allowed St.Kilda to rebuild. We gave them half a premiership team! St.Kilda being St.Kilda sacked the architect in Ken Sheldon and are still waiting for their 2nd flag. Serves them right.

Dermie leaving Hawthorm was pretty ordinary. He wanted to stay there and prepared to take a pay cut.

I think the sticking point was that they wanted to make it performance-based and it rested on number of games played, etc... with a really low base salary. Not ideal for someone whose body had endured so much.

Dermie was offered $7,500 plus match payments
He had been receiving
I think the sticking point was that they wanted to make it performance-based and it rested on number of games played, etc... with a really low base salary. Not ideal for someone whose body had endured so much.

For what he gave that club, it was a terrible ending. They should have let him finish on his terms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back