Motchin > Dangerwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 5 of all time , in alphabetical order, imho, that I have seen since 1963
G Ablett
G Ablett
W Carey
D Martin
L Matthews

Is that the Geelong hate for all things Matthews clouding your judgement? Ablett Snr was a freak and easily has the most talent of anyone I've seen. Matthews still has him covered though if you wanted to win a game. Ablett could turn it on like no other. Matthews would win it for you though.

Of the others, Carey obviously was magnificent and deserves to be a part of the discussion. Martin will more than likely end his career in that top bracket of best ever...not yet though. Martin's finals series played (across all games) is probably best ever. His h&a has fluctuated from good to unbelievably excellent. As recognised by most though, he saves his best for the big games. Another year like '17 (just close to '17) will place him in this bracket of "best ever".

IMO.

I would say for Cotchin that he's almost had two careers. The first one ended in 2016. An undoubtedly brilliant and flashy midfielder, but there were queries - and at times totally justified - of his ability to handle tags and pressure.

The second one started in 2017. I can not remember a name player changing their style of footy so profoundly, and so effectively. As Carey said after (I think) the Preliminary final this year, I can't remember the last time he got an easy possession now. Everything is contested and at the coalface. It's been an amazing transformation.

Yeah, this is a good narrative. I like it.

As a duo, total career, Danger and Selwood win the fight.

It's a bit pointless though, isn't it?

I mean, if you told Paddy that he and Selwood were considered the better collective in a poll but he couldn't have a flag, he'd drop it in an instant.

4 amazing footballers, happy to have watched them play.

530007_d2b367a39c3df28d51c5335e6e30ea97.gif

:hearts::hearts::hearts:

Ok, I am trying to imagine it….what happens next?

Same question to you I asked to vicward….what did you think of the Barrett interview with Dangerfield?
I haven't watched or listened to it but I did see the excerpt article and I thought that was pretty good, why?

What do you think was the point of it? It is on afl.com.au
Dunno, seems like interesting insight the general punter would subscribe to. Maybe PD wants people to think he isn't such an egomaniac and can give credit where its due?

Is that the Geelong hate for all things Matthews clouding your judgement? Ablett Snr was a freak and easily has the most talent of anyone I've seen. Matthews still has him covered though if you wanted to win a game. Ablett could turn it on like no other. Matthews would win it for you though.

Of the others, Carey obviously was magnificent and deserves to be a part of the discussion. Martin will more than likely end his career in that top bracket of best ever...not yet though. Martin's finals series played (across all games) is probably best ever. His h&a has fluctuated from good to unbelievably excellent. As recognised by most though, he saves his best for the big games. Another year like '17 (just close to '17) will place him in this bracket of "best ever".

IMO.
In what way has that post revealed any clouding of judgement?
I listed Lethal in that top 5, and said it WAS ALPHABETICAL!!
I loved watching him play back in the day. Dusty is as close as it gets to him, and better to watch, and not a thug. Dusty does it so easily, it's scary that he is still improving. Already in my top 5.
Junior dominated like no player before, over an incredible period of time. Winning a Brownlow at GC was ridiculous in a season they hardly won a game, and the number of MVP's is a testament to his superiority.
Senior- so many opposition people went to his games just to watch him in action.
Carey- the best CHF ever.
Lockett is a close #6.

Last edited:
In what way has that post revealed any clouding of judgement?
I listed Lethal in that top 5, and said it WAS ALPHABETICAL!!
I loved watching him play back in the day. Dusty is as close as it gets to him, and better to watch, and not a thug. Dusty does it so easily, it's scary that he is still improving. Already in my top 5.
Junior dominated like no player before, over an incredible period of time. Winning a Brownlow at GC was ridiculous in a season they hardly won a game, and the number of MVP's is a testament to his superiority.
Senior- so many opposition people went to his games just to watch him in action.
Carey- the best CHF ever.
Lockett is a close #6.

Missed the alphabetical bit 👍

But if Dusty was in a Selwood led team that implies he plays for Geelong, because Richmond would never appoint a head ducker captain.

If Dusty plays for Geelong his 3 Normies don’t happen. Geelong don’t win many finals and even Sir Dusty of Dusty Road would not be able to fix that. 😁
So you are trying to argue Martin is overrated?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back