Motorbikes

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Who here rides and what bike do you have?

I'm in the market for a new one at the moment. Thinking a mid sized naked but not being able to decide between the grunt of a twin, and the powerband of an i4, i think the triple could well be the one that is choosing itself.

This is perfect riding weather so i'm using it as motivation to get a new bike.

I'm glad someone has perfect riding weather! It's been rubbish here in Melbourne. Gonna miss a ride tomorrow because of the rain.

I'm very much a Kawasaki fan. My current roadbike is an 06 model ZX-6R and I have a 04 model ZX-6RR trackbike. My previous roadbike was a 98 model ZX-6R. First bike I ever owned was a 1990 KDX200 chook chaser.

I'm a bit like you and possibly looking to move off my sportsbike and onto something a bike more comfortable and the middleweight naked sector is very appealing. However, it can be quite confusing as there is now a plethora of options available in this sector.
I'd absolutely love a new Z1000 but the Z750 is more likely in my price range. Yamaha have recently brought out their highly regarded FZ8 which comes in naked or semi-fared. The Suzuki Gladius and the Kawasaki ER-6 are on the softer side of things but are really good first 'big' bikes.
Of the euros, the Triumph Street Triple is the most highly rated with it's glorious 675cc powerplant though it's the most hard edge sports oriented of the lot. Monsters are the most affordable of the Ducati range and are nice bikes but servicing is expensive. Two really underrated bikes are the BMW F800's and Aprilia Shiver. Both come in naked models or semi-fared 'touring' type models and can be commuted, toured or punted and seem to have decent pillion carrying capabilities. Or finally, if ya wanna live a bit on the edge (and you can find one), a Benelli Tre 899 would be awesome, so long as you don't mind dodgy reliability but they are sexy as.

At the end of the day, narrow down what you like the look of, have a sit or ride of the shortlist, pick a winner and buy it! :thumbsu:

test riding a z750 today, but saw a TL1000s the other day in great condition. I know its a little older now, but such a beautiful bike, esp being a big twin.

It's a long time since I gave up bikes for breeding and I haven't got back into them yet, so I'n not qualified to make a recommendation, but surely you'd at least want to TRY one of the latest Dukes?

Why a naked bike, if you don't me asking? I remember I used to have a neck like a boxer when I rode naked bikes. Then my Ducati had a fairing and I loved that

Why a naked? Well personally i think they look a bit more appealing, although i have to admit, a white 848 could swing that opinion in a second.

I also like the more upright position too, but that could be because i'm more used to it.

The ducatis are a beautiful machine, but i dont have the mechanical nous to keep one on the road. Couldnt handle all the breakdowns.

Why a naked? Well personally i think they look a bit more appealing, although i have to admit, a white 848 could swing that opinion in a second.

I also like the more upright position too, but that could be because i'm more used to it.

The ducatis are a beautiful machine, but i dont have the mechanical nous to keep one on the road. Couldnt handle all the breakdowns.

All the breakdowns:confused:

My Duke never broke down! Mind you, it was a Paso 750 (way back then), and they are not highly stressed.

All the breakdowns:confused:

My Duke never broke down! Mind you, it was a Paso 750 (way back then), and they are not highly stressed.

They were the ones that looked like they had almost 1 single fairing that covered the whole bike?

Something beautiful about those early faired bikes. Would have been a beast to ride wouldnt it?

Yes, It was a beautiful looking thing, and looked faster than it actually was. Definitely more a tourer than a sports bike. It had 16-in wheels and a shorter wheelbase than the 906, but the word nimble did not really apply. With removable topbox and panniers it was a practical weekends-away bike with looks and soul. Covered a lot of miles on it and loved it.

I don't know what I what I would buy these days, but my experience with that Ducati means I would always at least explore their offerings. Good luck with your search and keep safe on the road!

567-ducati-making-mechanics-out-of-riders-since-1946.jpg

I really like Ducati's but they haven't had a great reputation for reliability (especially electrics) and they have been known to be expensive to maintain. Both 'problems' are said to be improving on their later models. I've always liked the Monster range and they are probably the best value model of the bikes from Bologne.

Ended up getting a naked FZ6, but have since had surgery on my ankle so can't ride for 6 weeks.

Really hope i get some decent riding weather before the rain sets in for the year.

WA isnt known for having many good riding roads, but the best of a sorry lot are down in the south west where i am lucky enough to live.

That's cool and suckful all in one! Hope ya heal up soon and can get out while the weather's good. FZ6's will still punt pretty good. I know a guy who got off a CBR600F4i and ended up with an FZ6 and apparently he's never ridden better!

yeah hoping it is only another 3 weeks til i can ride. Was surgery i had been putting off for over a year, so not an accident or anything like that.

I test rode an R6 and loved it, but i didnt like the riding position, so the FZ6 was the obvious choice. Loving it but looking at a small screen to help with all the hwy riding.

Where are you doing your trackwork? Really can't wait to do a few track days.

Done half a dozen (slow!) track days at Phillip Island. Possibly heading there again on May 9th. Am keen to do Broadford at some stage but Phillip Island is a bit easier to get to. They are great fun, no matter your speed, although throwing it down the road is less fun...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of questions mate, before you get down to which bike. With so many choices, you really need to narrow it down a bit.

Things like, How long will you keep it before you want a bigger, faster bike, Do you like the look of a fully faired, or a naked bike, Do you have much mechanical knowledge, or do you think you would be best off getting a reliable bike...........

First thing to note though. DON'T BUY A HYOSUNG. Avoid them and you are off to a good start.

Lots of questions mate, before you get down to which bike. With so many choices, you really need to narrow it down a bit.

Things like, How long will you keep it before you want a bigger, faster bike, I'd hope for a few years (3-4) at least Do you like the look of a fully faired, or a naked bike Really not to sure at the moment probably a naked bike but again not a big deal, Do you have much mechanical knowledge Low - Moderate, or do you think you would be best off getting a reliable bike........... Friends and family live in Melbourne, would need to make the journey to and from and be semi-practical i.e satchel/storage (Being realistic of course).

First thing to note though. DON'T BUY A HYOSUNG. Avoid them and you are off to a good start - Noted.

Really just started looking so any advice is great

Learners these days have a terrific range of more practical bikes to ride than ever, however, as the LAMS rules have only been in effect for a couple of years, the significant range on offer are only a couple of years old and thus well over your $5000 budget. Following are the three options I would recommend:

Suzuki GS500
http://www.bikepoint.com.au/all-bik... 1430 1429 1626 1428 4294967268 4294966592 85

Suzuki GS500F
http://www.bikepoint.com.au/all-bik... 1430 1429 1626 1428 4294967268 85 4294967124

Kawasaki Ninja 250
http://www.bikepoint.com.au/all-bik... 1430 1429 1626 1428 85 4294967215 4294961390

I prefer the larger engined bikes, I think the extra power makes them easier to ride though the little Ninja is the largest selling roadbike in Australia. Japanese, as late as you can get and make sure you at least have a good sit on 'em to check the ergo's and you can't go wrong.

How long are you restricted with LAMS? Is it just a year or do you have to have a restricted bike for longer?

I would avoid the 250 ninja and go for something that isnt so overpriced for what it is.

Not sure what they are like in other states, but for something that in reality is a GPX in pretty clothes, they cost close to $5999 second hand. This should change drastically though with the release of the new CBR250.

Maybe it is because we had to have a 250, but if you are allowed bigger, like the suzukis mentioned, i would go for them for sure.

I would avoid the 250 ninja and go for something that isnt so overpriced for what it is.

Not sure what they are like in other states, but for something that in reality is a GPX in pretty clothes, they cost close to $5999 second hand. This should change drastically though with the release of the new CBR250.

I only read today that Kawasaki have dropped the price of the Ninja to compete with the CBR. Seems funny to me that the CBR250 used to be a 4 cylinder screamer sportbike and the new one is a single pot CB250 with a fairing to look like a VFR1200. :confused: 250cc bike prices will continue to fall as the larger LAMS approved bikes become more common over time I reckon. Also, a lot of the new bikes are coming with ABS too, though you'd need a budget closer to $10k.

Ooh, I really hope this movie somehow makes it's way to Australian cinemas, especialy with the TT now only just over a month away from starting:

[YOUTUBE]QldZiR9eQ_0[/YOUTUBE]

Guy Martin is the main 'character' of the movie so here's some footage and commentary of him riding around the Manx circuit:

[YOUTUBE]QVXc29ZgutI[/YOUTUBE]

Part 2

[YOUTUBE]DFUYIH2Ttzk[/YOUTUBE]

Love IOM.

The trouble with watching it though is that it makes you want to go out and push the limits a bit more.

Weather over here is turning good too.

With the recources goverments have put in to traffic coppers you cant enjoy a bike anymore the way you use to be able...........

With the penalties ever increasing, its not worth it. psycholigicly its quite abhorrent and stressful on the right hand and left foot, cause you know what they wanna do...........

Even running out of places to take the scrambler, becoming politicaly incorrect to go tearing threw the bush with gum tree branches constantly scratching the helmet.....

The roads are pretty frustrating these days, especially continually dropping the speed limits everywhere and the over-policing of our roads. I've finally got my bike running again after a couple of months of inactivity and the nice weather we've had lately is really getting me keen for a fang. I really need to get my track bike out for a run soon too, haven't done a track day since last year. Then you can REALLY blow some cobwebs out! :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back