MRP / Trib. MRP 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Was more of a mind meld than anything...

But, the head is held sacrosanct (unless an AFL pinup boy is flinging an elbow back)...

Just shouldn't have done it, this isn't about impact.

Gov got done on outcome
Walters on intent.

considering what they let go, with bellchambers, the stomp, and tim english, there is no consistency.
Absolute none. Bellchambers got off on his when that had more intent then McGovern. Really no basis for consistency at all. Players will continue to appeal these frivolous 1 weeks suspensions.

....Wait till McGovern gets off and they hold up Sonny’s suspension
Mcgovern should get off, its unfortunate Guelfi hit the fence but it wasn't Mcgoverns fault.

Walters should also get off but he won't

I agree with you that Gov will get off and Sonny won't, its the freo tax

Thank god Gary Ablett got done for the same thing Fyfe did literally a week before Fyfe or he would be missing another brownlow due to the freo tax

McGovern illegally pushed a player in the back, with both hands, with force ... nevermind doing it over the boundary line and at a stage where Guelfi clearly had nowhere to go other than in the direction of the fence.
If McGovern is in a marking competition and he strongly pushes a player in the back, and that player's head crashes in to another player and he is concussed, are you seriously saying that's fine and it's just an accident?
There's a reason why there are free kicks for tripping and reports for tripping, tackles and reportable sling tackles, bumps and reportable careless head clash bumps, etc... Players need to be accountable for actions that can cause injury, especially when those actions are unnecessary.

I can't believe just how easily the media can sway public opinion to have sympathy, once again, for a West Coast thug while we hear crickets for Walters, who did an equally stupid act, but an act that had far less risk of any potential injury.

The moment this was reported in the news/media as a "headbutt", there was going to be no other result. An appeal may find differently, but that was always going to be our only hope to get Walters off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree on McGovern tbh. Players push players over the boundary line when play has finished all the time yet umpires do nothing about it. It’s a free kick - nothing more.

The amount of force in the Walters incident so far below sufficient high tackles quite often would have higher force/potential for harm.

McGovern got suspended because there isn’t enough Victorian sides in the top four. Walters got suspended because there isn’t enough Victorian sides in the top eight. There - I said it.

P
McGovern illegally pushed a player in the back, with both hands, with force ... nevermind doing it over the boundary line and at a stage where Guelfi clearly had nowhere to go other than in the direction of the fence.
If McGovern is in a marking competition and he strongly pushes a player in the back, and that player's head crashes in to another player and he is concussed, are you seriously saying that's fine and it's just an accident?
There's a reason why there are free kicks for tripping and reports for tripping, tackles and reportable sling tackles, bumps and reportable careless head clash bumps, etc... Players need to be accountable for actions that can cause injury, especially when those actions are unnecessary.

I can't believe just how easily the media can sway public opinion to have sympathy, once again, for a West Coast thug while we hear crickets for Walters, who did an equally stupid act, but an act that had far less risk of any potential injury.
Pushed in the side in the field of play and McGovern is no thug.

McGovern should get off, sonny not so much. He also ran flat out at VIney while he was in a pack and just rammed him.
He gets targeted sonny, so it's no surprise. I say rest him, and bring him in fresh for the derby

How is it not McGovern's fault? He pushed Guelfi into the fence, Guelfi was a metre out of bounds already. You want to blame the fence?
because it was in the act of guelfi disposing of the ball? happens a million times a game and he was just unlucky that there was a chair directly at that spot, wouldn't be an injury if the chair wasn't there

I don’t understand why the Eagles are going to appeal. They should be popping the champagne corks for having that adjudicated careless, and medium. The kid went off to hospital (in a taxi but still). As the shots above show, McGovern’s shove was in the back and delivered well over the boundary line. If that isn’t deliberate nothing is. Kid could have been paralysed.

As far as Walters, if there is any vision of him jerking his head forward and contacting the Melbourne player, then it’s headbutting and he should go. Is there any vision of this? It was at the MCG, the home of football. Surely there are heaps of cameras? I can’t believe the charge was laid solely because of an umpire’s testimony.

Wtf Walters suspended for what exactly? Anyone have footage that isn't far away?

Thing I saw it wasn't even a free kick let alone a suspension, MRP seem stop be caught up in the media narrative, zero common sense .

because it was in the act of guelfi disposing of the ball? happens a million times a game and he was just unlucky that there was a chair directly at that spot, wouldn't be an injury if the chair wasn't there

No it wasn’t. Have a look at the photo. Where is the ball? The chair if anything protected Guelfis head from being pile driven into a wall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back