Opinion Nathan Foley

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, no, not really.

Just responding to the OP's claim that he's our 2nd most important mid.
In a reply earlier to Jade's, I did say clearly Lids is the better player and I would never doubt that. Lids influence around the ground and mainly on the outside of the contest is profound, no doubt. Is becoming pretty good inside too, although I do think he needs to go harder with respect to desparation when in there- just my opinion after watching many replays of last seasons games.

I just think that Foley, when up and going, is sensational in and around the contest at either releasing the footy out to a runner or using his own speed to take it away. Tackling and desparation were first rate too.

I was never a huge rap for Nat until early this year TBH. Thought he was a bit overrated by my fellow Tigers, but his efforts in the first half of the 2012 season completely changed my view, and showed me just how influencial he was for the whole side.

As said, Lids, Martin, Tucky are all great (the former 2 are/will be elite players in the AFL) but Foley had a big influence on how well we were playing early last season. Just my own personal opinion which you and others are more than entitled to disagree with.

Foley's injury only had a minor effect on our season last year. We fell in a heap when teams started shutting down Newman and to a lesser extent, Houli and stopping the run they'd been giving us off half-back. The loss of Grimes also had a far greater impact IMO.

Prefer we give Foley as much time as possible to get fit and even bring him back though Coburg then bring him in as an added weapon in the second half of the season when we're hopefully still in the mix for finals and probably need that extra firepower to help get us over the line. Same goes for Grimes.

Axel has far more impact on a game than Lids, especially out of the midfield. His days could be numbered but bloody hope not. Richmond may need to consider using Axel in short two or three week spells with a couple of weeks break in between. Bringing him in as a pinch hitter for big games. His courage at the pill in the middle is not exceeded by any of the players mentioned. The guy is a gun when on song.. Sadly he may be stuffed, however, we need to give sometime to find out. Rather risk axel on the list than take a chance with a rookie. If fit we know he is top notch!
First I rate foley really high I do how ever think he's body might be a bit gone and agree he needs to be managed what about foley being the sub I reckon he would have a massive impact in second half of games ?

Forecast: Foley fires frequently, finally finals football.

I think having Foley out of the side had a bigger impact than Vick or Griff. No team can hold Cotch, Lids and Axel.

A vital inclusion to the team, but we have taken measures to cover any unforeseen circumstances, now that we were bitten on the arse last year. As someone else suggested, Lids, Cotch & Axel is a midfield that wouldn't look out of place in one of the top shelf teams now. ;)

A vital inclusion to the team, but we have taken measures to cover any unforeseen circumstances, now that we were bitten on the arse last year. As someone else suggested, Lids, Cotch & Axel is a midfield that doesn't look out of place in one of the top shelf teams now. ;)

EFA :D

Like everybody else, I hope and pray Foley can finally overcome his injury troubles and have a clean run of health and games (along with Grimes). Easily one of my favourite players, especially when you consider he came from the rookie list.

With our midfield getting stronger, I think our reliance on Foley has decreased (as other players are starting to emerge) a bit but when he is fit and firing, he is a huge inclusion to have in the team. There was a time when he would have been just about our best midfielder but with guys like Grigg, Conca, Ellis, Martin and others taking up some of the slack in midfield (and not leaving it all to 1-2 players), maybe we are becoming better placed to cope with his absences?

Was just wondering, as our depth is getting stronger - could we possibly use Foley as a rotation player? i.e we don't play him in every 22 games but maybe give him a few games at a time so his body isn't strenuously pushed and tested? Maybe we could look at resting him every few games or play him as a sub? Anything that might help increase our chances of managing him so he can participate in a full season.

Axel just adds another dimension in to what is panning out to be a potent midfield!
He will be sadly missed if dogged by injuries again this season.
People don't remember that pre Deledio and Corchin days, Axel was "by far" our no 1 onballer!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like everybody else, I hope and pray Foley can finally overcome his injury troubles and have a clean run of health and games (along with Grimes). Easily one of my favourite players, especially when you consider he came from the rookie list.

With our midfield getting stronger, I think our reliance on Foley has decreased (as other players are starting to emerge) a bit but when he is fit and firing, he is a huge inclusion to have in the team. There was a time when he would have been just about our best midfielder but with guys like Grigg, Conca, Ellis, Martin and others taking up some of the slack in midfield (and not leaving it all to 1-2 players), maybe we are becoming better placed to cope with his absences?

Was just wondering, as our depth is getting stronger - could we possibly use Foley as a rotation player? i.e we don't play him in every 22 games but maybe give him a few games at a time so his body isn't strenuously pushed and tested? Maybe we could look at resting him every few games or play him as a sub? Anything that might help increase our chances of managing him so he can participate in a full season.
I think that it will be a judgement call for the medical staff and Foley himself NU. If they and he feel he is over his problems and he gets some runs on the board/games under his belt, I think he will be left to play all games as a starting 18 mid.

First I rate foley really high I do how ever think he's body might be a bit gone and agree he needs to be managed what about foley being the sub I reckon he would have a massive impact in second half of games ?

The sub has to be 100% fit to play 100 minutes. The day we try to ease someone (Axel) thru as a sub is the day a mid twangs a hammy in the first 5 minutes. Then we're rooted.

Definite possibility and worth consideration, at least until Foley can demonstrate he can regain full fitness and form. Very good suggestion you have made here.

I'll risk the backlash. I think the club made an error in giving him a two year deal. I think his body can no longer stand up to the rigors of AFL. Which is an absolute pity, because when Axel was up and about, there wasn''t too much around who could stop him.
Anyway, fire away..............

imho very important player when fit

in terms of sending a message to the player group, think mcdonald and scully

The club clearly realizes how important Foley is to the team, hence why the resigned him to a 2-3 year deal while suffering a fresh injury. In this era of mid rotations, a pacy insider with good foot skills are gold... With teams having to match up on cotch, lids, dusty, axel is off the leash and if you watch his highlights vid on the website you can see how important he is to our midfield. Really hope he gets back to his Big V form where he was practically a lock for all aus.

The sub has to be 100% fit to play 100 minutes. The day we try to ease someone (Axel) thru as a sub is the day a mid twangs a hammy in the first 5 minutes. Then we're rooted.
But will not happen every game and when it does foley will get through it fine seeing as he has only been playing part games previously

It was no coincidence whatsoever that when Foley went down, so did our season.

People have to realize this;

A midfield of Cotchin, Deledio, Martin and Tuck is awesome.

BUT

A midfield of Cotchin, Deledio, Martin, Tuck and a raging Foley is almost unstoppable.
I agree , interesting that we gave foley a new three year deal after he was injured they must think he's going to come good I really hope he does big part of the future and hopefully soon all our mids will be fighting for the number one tag, maybe number two cotch seems special

Wrap him in cotton wool and ease him back in about round 13-14. That has two affects... 1. Creates a spot early for a youngter to fill in the midfield(Ellis seems to have the grunt and the motor or maybe Conca)...2. Injects added midfield grunt at the buisness side of the season.

Foley's injury only had a minor effect on our season last year. We fell in a heap when teams started shutting down Newman and to a lesser extent, Houli and stopping the run they'd been giving us off half-back. The loss of Grimes also had a far greater impact IMO.

Prefer we give Foley as much time as possible to get fit and even bring him back though Coburg then bring him in as an added weapon in the second half of the season when we're hopefully still in the mix for finals and probably need that extra firepower to help get us over the line. Same goes for Grimes.

imo foley had a massive influence on our season. while the loss of vickery and grimes also had an inpact and maybe tactics played a part for me foley going down was huge.

Had a REAL good look at Axel while the boys were in Cairns, and these are my personal thoughts only.

As the poor bugger didn't even run at all, and even when he was walking laps he had a noticable limp.
Always with a companion though, monitoring his every move and not overdoing it.

Most of the other guys were getting flogged with sprinting, boxing, fast drills etc..

I was surprised that it was worth the trouble of bringing him up, but I'm sure the Club has massive plans for this bloke and he was walking a few laps then resting, going to the rehab group doing various handball and skill drills for a while and then resting, then doing it all over again.

3 observations i made were

1. He miles behind everyone else and probably 66/1 for round 1

2. He's building slowly, surely and patiently, he wasn't up there for a holiday and it might be a long grind.
but the Tigers must have him in extremely high regard for his playing ability and leadership.

3. When not walkin or resting he was doing the quick ball drills in the rehab group, his hands were like lightening and his skills were suburb and fisting and flicking the sherrin around with bullet like slick silky precision and with a vice like grip.
Not a fumble or hesitation was seen. if he get over this injury/s he may end up better than ever.

I'll risk the backlash. I think the club made an error in giving him a two year deal. I think his body can no longer stand up to the rigors of AFL. Which is an absolute pity, because when Axel was up and about, there wasn''t too much around who could stop him.
Anyway, fire away..............

Here is some backlash for you princess , the club gave him a 3 year deal not 2 . That's a year for each Achilles for those that can't count. Supporters like you are like those Myan clowns that thought the world was going to end 4 weeks ago.

Foley will play again , he will play well and he 'll play 75% of the game time that 3 year contract goes for including all finals involved. He'll also win the Brownlow next year . Book mark it !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back