tigerfan1961

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa, SF 49ers
Have been watching quite a few of our games from last season on the revolving turntable that is the Fox Footy Channel this off-season, and boy, was Foley a key player in our midfield last season early on. His ability to extract, run hard and be a link player was outstanding. His games against St Kilda, West Coast and especially Hawthorn were fantastic.

IMO, he is our second most important midfielder when he is in-form and to lose him after round 10ish was a cruel and savage blow to our prospects. I am just hoping he gets back to the level he was performing at early on as he is a real key element in our midfield structures.

Have been watching quite a few of our games from last season on the revolving turntable that is the Fox Footy Channel this off-season, and boy, was Foley a key player in our midfield last season early on. His ability to extract, run hard and be a link player was outstanding. His games against St Kilda, West Coast and especially Hawthorn were fantastic.

IMO, he is our second most important midfielder when he is in-form and to lose him after round 10ish was a cruel and savage blow to our prospects. I am just hoping he gets back to the level he was performing at early on as he is a real key element in our midfield structures.

Agree with most of this but no way is he more important than lids in the middle

I'll risk the backlash. I think the club made an error in giving him a two year deal. I think his body can no longer stand up to the rigors of AFL. Which is an absolute pity, because when Axel was up and about, there wasn''t too much around who could stop him.
Anyway, fire away..............

I'll risk the backlash. I think the club made an error in giving him a two year deal. I think his body can no longer stand up to the rigors of AFL. Which is an absolute pity, because when Axel was up and about, there wasn''t too much around who could stop him.

You're not the only one playing Devil's Advocate CB, but I'm a massive Axel fan...
When he played for Vics, Bomber said to him, "You're playing because you're tough as teak, and you win the hard ball"...
But he's also a heart and soul Tiger, and his luck is due to change just in time. ;)

Im with you on this in fact i started a thread on this so fire away.

He has played what 40 games in some four seasons or so......

The club stuck thru with Moore thru thick and thin. I think they'll give foley as much chance as possible to get his body right. I dont they'll want to die wondering "what if". I think the club is right in doing things for the guys who give everything theyve got, and then even more. ..... As long as theres not too many on the list

Im with you on this in fact i started a thread on this so fire away.

He has played what 40 games in some four seasons or so......

I love Axel, i will put that card straight on the table, but, there is no sentiment in footy, and particulary a club that hasn't won a fafking thing for 32 years. I made the call on Brown a few years ago on this board and i remember the personal s**t that was levelled at me from a few posters (some still here, some long gone). Axel is no different in my eyes. It's not his fault, it's not any bodies fault. It's just the way it is.
His legs are shot (and for all the Peter perfects out their, i mean lower leg - ankles and achilles).
His body can no longer withstand the year long rigours of AFL. The call should have been made. With some of the kids that didn't get drafted this year, we could have rookied a kid to try (and keep in mind Axel came from the rookie list). It's an opportunity lost in my eyes.
I wish through some miracle his legs would get better and he would stick it right up my arse, but, it wont happen. My arse will remain Axel free for the next two years.
I'm just purely looking at this from a factual point of view. 40 games in 4 seasons, and a foot back in a moon boot? Lets get serious.

The club stuck thru with Moore thru thick and thin. I think they'll give foley as much chance as possible to get his body right. I dont they'll want to die wondering "what if". I think the club is right in doing things for the guys who give everything theyve got, and then even more. ..... As long as theres not too many on the list

I would reply to this, but i think i covered it in my previous post.

Understand what you are saying CB, but he did play 22 games in 2011. Another bad run this year and I would be agreeing with you, but as I said in the OP, he was a key player in the midfield for our first 10 games, and I mean KEY. Makes a big difference when he is fit and firing, and more vital than Lids IMO in that pure mid role.

I would not have traded him out as some are suggesting. His attributes are far far too valuable to us to take that risk IMO. I am more than prepared to give him another season or two to get back.

BTW, saw some photos of todays training on the Club website and looks like he is participating?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw NATH training today and he is coming along nicely I told him for us to win the premiership this year we need him all year he said he working on that should we cut him slack no he will get up this year and help us make top 4. He plays in those narrow losses at the end of the season we meke the eight

Love Axel but he's not as vital to our midfield as Cotchin, Martin and Deledio. Brilliant 4th midfielder though
Axel has far more impact on a game than Lids, especially out of the midfield. His days could be numbered but bloody hope not. Richmond may need to consider using Axel in short two or three week spells with a couple of weeks break in between. Bringing him in as a pinch hitter for big games. His courage at the pill in the middle is not exceeded by any of the players mentioned. The guy is a gun when on song.. Sadly he may be stuffed, however, we need to give sometime to find out. Rather risk axel on the list than take a chance with a rookie. If fit we know he is top notch!

To thecotchybear if you were at trainig today you would not have made that statement

Martin is no doubt more talented then Foley but he doesn't work hard enough for a midfielder yet. Dusty still doesn't tackle enough and work hard enough for the team. Very much a one way attacking player, needs to work on his defensive side. Foley was brilliant both attacking and defensively until he got injured.

Is Martin actually a midfielder? Foley definitely is. Martin is a top player, one of my absolute favourites but a lot of the things we consider great about the guy are his forward line / 50 metre involvements. I agree with cotchybear that Martin doesn't do enough hard running. Especially defensively.

As several of you have stated Foley might well be too broke to fix, but lets remember the club has fully professional medical staff who would have done exhaustive examinations and assessments prior to him getting his contract extension, so lets back them. (and then all cross our fingers)
Absolutely, and as I have said, IMO he is a crucial member of our midfield. More crucial than all bar the great Cotch :) (as a pure Mid). Lids and Martin offer different attributes and hurt more on the scoreboard, but as a pure mid, Foley wins (IMO of course).

Absolutely, and as I have said, IMO he is a crucial member of our midfield. More crucial than all bar the great Cotch :) (as a pure Mid). Lids and Martin offer different attributes and hurt more on the scoreboard, but as a pure mid, Foley wins (IMO of course).

Your talking out of your arse if you think he is more important than lids... Watch the freo games and see what happens when lids is t providing drive. Ditto the dreamtime game and how good he was there. Foley is about on par with tuck as far as importance to our side goes imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back