Opinion Nathan Foley

Remove this Banner Ad

Your talking out of your arse if you think he is more important than lids... Watch the freo games and see what happens when lids is t providing drive. Ditto the dreamtime game and how good he was there. Foley is about on par with tuck as far as importance to our side goes imo
Don't agree Mate, I think you underestimate Foley a bit there, but we all have opinions. Look, I think Lids is among our top 3 players and Foley is clearly not, but in terms of impact in the midfield in clearances, tackles, hard ball gets etc, I think Foley has more impact. Brett is clearly a superior player but Foley just adds so much in that centre square.

Watch the Hawks and West Coast games in particular Mate- geez Foley was good. Really changed my perception of just how valuable a player he really is in that role. And I would never underestimate Lids BTW, a true star and certainly elite in my book.

How much % chance is Axel of playing Round 1?
I would not like to put a percentage on it, however, I'd think not much of a chance. I do not think the club would take the risk and rush him back. If he plays in the NAB then I would say it is all systems go, however, I will be shocked if we see him before about round five or six. What a bonus it will be if he can get over his injury problems and back to full fitness by the halfway point of the season.

i think we need to find a replacement for foley as he is way too injury prone

here is hoping ellis can step into that role .. won't have that brake away pace (i think) but should be suitable

I'll risk the backlash. I think the club made an error in giving him a two year deal. I think his body can no longer stand up to the rigors of AFL. Which is an absolute pity, because when Axel was up and about, there wasn''t too much around who could stop him.
Anyway, fire away..............

They actually gave him a 3 year deal CB. After his injury. Is there something you know that we don't because I doubt they'd be handing out 3 year deals to a bloke they think has stuffed legs? Surely not any more?! The fact that he managed a run of 30 odd straight games in between his 2 injuries is probably the one thing that keeps me buoyant about his prospects. If it was 5 games playing then 10 injured etc then I would be much more worried.

Either way, my fingers are crossed because he would be immense for us if fit and firing.

Laughable to say he has more impact than Lids; we're underestimating Foley etc.

You're underestimating Lids if that's your opinion. In my opinion.

Foley is an absolute gun in top flight, no doubt. But he doesn't have the sheer class of our top 3 mids. Martin I consider more important because if he hits his straps he will be absolutely unstoppable. Foley hits his straps again and we have an excellent midfielder on our hands but not an elite of the competition like Dusty will be.

Foley is an absolute gun in top flight, no doubt. But he doesn't have the sheer class of our top 3 mids. Martin I consider more important because if he hits his straps he will be absolutely unstoppable. Foley hits his straps again and we have an excellent midfielder on our hands but not an elite of the competition like Dusty will be.

Doesn't really matter who is better does it? We've got them all and if they're all fit and firing, they will complement each other beautifully!

Doesn't really matter who is better does it? We've got them all and if they're all fit and firing, they will complement each other beautifully!

Yeah, no, not really.

Just responding to the OP's claim that he's our 2nd most important mid.

They actually gave him a 3 year deal CB. After his injury. Is there something you know that we don't because I doubt they'd be handing out 3 year deals to a bloke they think has stuffed legs? Surely not any more?! The fact that he managed a run of 30 odd straight games in between his 2 injuries is probably the one thing that keeps me buoyant about his prospects. If it was 5 games playing then 10 injured etc then I would be much more worried.

Either way, my fingers are crossed because he would be immense for us if fit and firing.

I'm only going off what I see. I would actually hope you are correct and not me. I would have no issue if we cotton woolled this bloke and bought him in mid season. Let him get right, then as bodies get tired, he comes in and goes bang.

Hopefully hell be right to roll around April. Give the team a bit of a boost and rest him when need be except the Darwin game (8 point game/RFC's dignity).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this is true.2013 is all about depth.
nice to have a player of foley's ability for either R1 or mid way through the season.

are we playing in Darwin? do you mean Cairns?

I think you're right mate.

Definitely not playing in Darwin and I don't reckon the club will consider the game against the indigenous all stars in Alice Springs an 8 point game!

I'd think Round 5-6. Just a guess, but I cannot see the logic in pressing hard for R1 as opposed to a few weeks later
rounds 5-6 for me too. a few games before the bye round then a big second half of the year. if he comes up sore give him a week off and play lonergan. geelong's approach to player management (resting) will do foley wonders I think and extend his career that little big longer.

that's certainly another option. play him for half a game vs the lower teams (to insure we beat port:mad:) and play him for longer periods vs the higher ranked teams.

I suggested something similar a few months back. Its better than giving weeks off completely but manages his work load a whole lot better.

Sadly, we have long since seen the best of Axel.
I was howled down on occasion for suggesting we trade him while he had plenty of currency, stull suggest that would have been a wise move.
But look forward to whatever we can get out of him going forward ... his start to 2012 was electric!

I saw him at training yesterday and he seemed to be limping a little when he was running laps, also his right calf looked skinnier than his left.

I`d say he`s no chance for Round 1.

But as long as he comes back fit and healthy sometime during the season I`ll be happy, no need to rush him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back