National Draft Pick #17 - Michael Apeness

Remove this Banner Ad

That's what we want to believe, but it's not what I'm getting from the mock draft write ups. I'd be happy to hear it from our recruiters
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...at-his-best-in-first-love-20131003-2uxfg.html

Apeness is the lesser-known twin of the Eastern Ranges key forward towers, but became first fiddle mid-season when predicted No. 1 draft pick Tom Boyd went down with injury. Apeness had barely tried his hand in the ruck until he was told that would be his position for Vic Metro at this year's under-18 championships. Now, he can't get enough of it.
''I love the physicality of it. I love the actual ruck contests themselves, I love competing,'' said Apeness, who also played gridiron.
Strong performances playing ruck and deep forward for Vic Metro was followed by a TAC Cup premiership with the Ranges, an invitation to this week's draft combine and interest from AFL clubs.

Take this then

Is there another highlights video besides the one on the club website? Cause they are not exactly exhilirating, so I'm assuming there are more? Can anyone post them please?

Even in those clips the thing that I liked was when he flew for marks there seemed to be carnage around him. Not every highlight package should be about running away from your man or the one specky a player takes in the whole carnival. I think he will be an awesome fit for our needs.

Very happy with this acquisition. A strong bodied tall forward with great hands and a polished goal kicking technique is the missing ingredient from our already multi-talented forward line. Seriously reckon next year with no injuries we could have the two best small forwards in the competition (Ballas and Walter), the best mid-sized forwards in Mayne/Fyfe/Sylvia, the best CHF in Pavlich and a very capable FF in Gumby or Apeness.

Very nice addition to our existing top 2 midfield and the best defense in the league.

Even in those clips the thing that I liked was when he flew for marks there seemed to be carnage around him. Not every highlight package should be about running away from your man or the one specky a player takes in the whole carnival. I think he will be an awesome fit for our needs.

I hope so, most of the highlights on that package were really just a guy who is bigger than less well developed under 18's taking marks against smaller blokes.
I didn't see much of a leap or that he was taking the ball at it's highest point.
Anyway, the good thing is he's a big boy and we obviously have something to work with, but I didn't see many great assets besides size that in those highlights, which I agree can be misleading.
I'm looking forward to seeing him for more than 3 minutes soon!

That's what we want to believe, but it's not what I'm getting from the mock draft write ups. I'd be happy to hear it from our recruiters

The vast majority of people who do mock draft write ups would only have ever seen him play at the U18 Championships, hence to them he must be a ruckman. Or they've never actually seen him play, and only looked at the stats from then. It's why I take no notice of what Victorian PDers say about the draftees from SA, WA, Tasmania or any of the non-Victorian states.

3 things.

First: Hayden Crozier was picked up at No. 20 in his draft and wears guernsey No. 17.
Apeness was picked up at No. 17 on Thursday.
Maybe Apeness wears No. 20.

Second: Got a nickname lined up for him already.
His Royal Apeness.

Third: Both Crozier and His Royal Apeness came from the Eastern Ranges.

I'm trying to think of man-children who used their greater size to dominate their smaller U-18 opponents and then went on to be poor AFL footballers.

I've having trouble finding the duds. I can think of plenty of skinny "lots of development in them" talls who have gone on to be skinny "not genuine KPF" talls.

I'm trying to think of man-children who used their greater size to dominate their smaller U-18 opponents and then went on to be poor AFL footballers.

I've having trouble finding the duds. I can think of plenty of skinny "lots of development in them" talls who have gone on to be skinny "not genuine KPF" talls.

Well a reasonably high proportion of them don't get drafted, but I can give you one example off the top of my head that I know because I am remotely acquainted Jordan Lisle's family and I saw him as a junior a couple of times. He was a dominant big forward at under 18 level, I think he was close to 100 kg at that age and I don't know what you reckon but he isn't exactly dominating now. Being just a big guy isn't enough any more but I agree it sure helps to start with.

Gee it's a pity that Fyfe's contested marking ability disappeared overnight when he started playing in the AFL, it could have been a real weapon. Looks like its ruck or Freo oval light bulb changer for Apeness.

The vast majority of people who do mock draft write ups would only have ever seen him play at the U18 Championships, hence to them he must be a ruckman. Or they've never actually seen him play, and only looked at the stats from then. It's why I take no notice of what Victorian PDers say about the draftees from SA, WA, Tasmania or any of the non-Victorian states.
Yes I don't meant I take the mock drafts too seriously. What is your opinion of him as a pure forward?

3 things.

First: Hayden Crozier was picked up at No. 20 in his draft and wears guernsey No. 17.
Apeness was picked up at No. 17 on Thursday.
Maybe Apeness wears No. 20.

Second: Got a nickname lined up for him already.
His Royal Apeness.

Third: Both Crozier and His Royal Apeness came from the Eastern Ranges.

Yes I don't meant I take the mock drafts too seriously. What is your opinion of him as a pure forward?

I like him much more up forward. Best contested mark in the draft, he leads strongly at the ball and marks at the highest point. He does have the feel for the game that resting ruckmen often don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like him much more up forward. Best contested mark in the draft, he leads strongly at the ball and marks at the highest point. He does have the feel for the game that resting ruckmen often don't.

Cheers for the insight, do you know how he goes outside of his marking? Any good field kicking, under his knees etc?

That is good news!

Cheers for all your work Chhis25. You have done an outstanding job keeping us informed about the draft. We get MUCH better and more accurate information from you then either the West Australian or any commercial tv station that is for sure.

He looks not unlike Paul Salmon at that age.
I'm beginning to think we may have overlooked McCarthy for Appy.

He looks not unlike Paul Salmon at that age.
I'm beginning to think we may have overlooked McCarthy for Appy.

Lloyd was on ABC sportstalk today and said that they had mail that McCarthy wouldn't slip to Freo and that they were more concerned that Apeness would also be gone before our pick. Said Apeness was a natural forward, strong contested mark, great endurance, very competitive, very good tackler, can pinch hit in the ruck and is a bit 'nasty' (in a good way).
Pearce has elite endurance,impressed at the combine, has a great attitude and they believe they can develop him into a defender (as an after thought he said or forward).
Grey is competive, quick, an all round player who can also make an impact forward. Said he chose Grey because we had already gotten two talls so they were able to go for something they wanted.

Well a reasonably high proportion of them don't get drafted, but I can give you one example off the top of my head that I know because I am remotely acquainted Jordan Lisle's family and I saw him as a junior a couple of times. He was a dominant big forward at under 18 level, I think he was close to 100 kg at that age and I don't know what you reckon but he isn't exactly dominating now. Being just a big guy isn't enough any more but I agree it sure helps to start with.

Jordan Lisle makes Levi Casboult look like Jason Dunstall in the kicking stakes.

Apeness led the goal kicking trial at the draft trials

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back