NBA PLAY-IN Week - Find yourself someone who loves you

Who is the NBA's truest romantic?

• The city of Washington - most other people would have offered to drive the Wiz to Virginia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glen Taylor - his devotion to the suffering of Wolves fans is truly inspiring

• Doc Rivers - if Pat Bev's leg had fallen off, Doc would still have traded for him

• Tom Thibodeau - when he says he loves you to death, he means it literally

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • NBA officials and the Lakers - still a better love story than Twilight

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, New Orleans Pels
Hola, and welcome to the penultimate week of the NBA regular season.

It may be Easter at the moment, but you might be forgiven for thinking that it's Valentine's Day with all the loving that's going on in the NBA right now.

Let's take a moment to catch up on all the gossip and blossoming romance from another action-packed NBA week, shall we? Hold onto your hats, because it's time to...

Find yourself someone who loves you...

... like Glen Taylor loves tormenting Timberwolves fans.

Those poor, wretched Minnesota fans - they were that close to shedding the funny little egghead who has owned the team since 1994. At the time he purchased them they were an unsuccessful franchise who were losing money, so after 30 years Taylor has presumably successfully managed not to make the Wolves financially unsuccessful, but has also largely been unsuccessful in making Minny successful. You got all that?

Anyway, Taylor announced three years ago that he was selling the Pups for $1.5 billion. Given that when he purchased the Wolves for about $90 million back in 1994 he said on public record ''what I paid for the team was too much'', the 84 year old must have been ecstatic with his return on investment.

Or so you'd think...

This week Taylor dropped a quiet little passive-aggressive press-release stating that he would remain majority shareholder for the franchise. This was apparently news to the prospective new owners, who released their own statement. Now the sh1t has really hit the fan with both sides playing the media like a fiddle. Taylor has accused the new owners of being glory seekers. They in turn have called him petty and dishonest, and insist they WILL own the team.

Meanwhile that sound you hear is thousands of loyal Minny fans simultaneously bashing their heads against the wall. At least this isn't all happening during one of the very rare times the team actually has it together, right? Oh, wait...

... like the fair city of Washington loves its Wizards.

When your one true love started letting him or herself go roughly 40 years ago, began dressing differently and even changed their name to something ridiculous in an effort to distance themselves from you, it's probably a sign that the marriage is just a smidgen short of perfection.

Then evidence of an affair with the next-door neighbour called Virginia came out. The suitcase was packed. The divorce lawyers were on standby.

However Washington refuses to give up on its Wizards. I guess if 40 years of mediocrity, a stupid name change, locker-room gunfights and Jordan Poole can't kill this marriage, then Virginia never really stood a chance.

Loyalty's not completely dead in professional sports then. Hey, misguided loyalty is still loyalty.

Washington fans in happier times. Hey, a 21 win season still beats a 14 win season.

... like Atlanta loves playing the Celtics, apparently.

After 23 imperious weeks atop the NBA pile, we've finally found a weakness in this Boston team. I don't what it is exactly, only that the 34-39 Hawks beat them this week without Trae, Johnson, Bey and Okongwu... after trailing by 30 points! And then proceeded to repeat the trick three days later.

Maybe the likes of Bruno Fernando and Vit Krecji have bad B.O. or something, I dunno. Dejounte Murray won the second game with the final of his 44 points. On 44 shots. 19 threes attempted. That seems like a lot...

... like Tom Thibodeau loves to ride his starters.

Look, we know the Knicks have their injuries at the moment. But Thibs, mate...

After a west coast trip in which he received the grand total of five minutes rest in three games COMBINED, Miles McBride - yes, Miles McBride - played the full 48 minutes against the Nets, over 43 minutes in a blowout win over the Pistons, nearly 40 minutes in another blowout against the Raptors, and finally 46 minutes in an overtime loss to the Spurs. Look at those last four opponents. Sheesh!

Meanwhile Donte DiVincenzo averaged 41 mins per game during that stretch, Josh Hart a mere 40. No wonder they looked flat in San Antonio.

I'd wish the injured cavalry in New York a speedy return, but Thibs would only proceed play them all 40 minutes a night again anyway.

1.gif

... like Jontay Porter loves his props. And a little degenerate punting.

Apparently Michael Porter has a brother. Apparently he's named Jontay, because apparently that's a name which I never knew existed before. And apparently Porter Junior's, er, Junior has gotten himself into some hot water over some suspicious betting patterns.

Apparently a deluge of sports gambling can lead to unforeseen consequences - who knew?

... like someone at the NBA loves trolling the Phoenix Suns.

Denver away. OKC away. Nawlins away. Cleveland home. Minny home. Nawlins home. Clips home. Clips away. Sactown away. Minny away.

That's what the Suns face in their final 10 games to close the regular season. Their opponents have have an average 65% win rate, which makes it the toughest stretch to finish a season by any team since 2016.

1711874641357.png

Ten tough games and nary a cupcake in sight.

... like Bucks coach Doc Rivers loves Pat Beverley.

Doc and Bev had a pretty good ride together with the Clippers a few years back. However Doc needs to realise that it's not 2020 any more.

Beverley seemed set to miss the rest of the season with a torn wrist ligament. However he decided this week to continue playing through the pain.

Kudos on the bravery and all, but given Beverley's results with the Bucks so far, some time off might have been better for all concerned. Milwaukee has been 10 points per 100 possessions better off with Bev on the bench. Their offense has cratered when he plays, while even the soon-to-be 36 year old's patented defensive intensity hasn't translated.

To be fair he filled in well for Lillard today against the Hawks, but the fact remains that Doc might need to be saved from himself when it comes to playing one of his favourites big minutes come the playoffs.

... like the New Orleans Pelicans love blowing a big lead.

The litany of lost opportunities this season is enough to drive a Pels fan to drink. Well, moreso.

The Pels have thrown away game after game after game after game after game after game after game after game after game in 2023/24. Those games are literally the difference between competing for top seed in the conference and battling just to avoid slipping into the play ins.

Nawlins were at it again this week, blowing a five point lead down the stretch against the Thunder, then coughing up a double digit lead against the Celtics. Both these games were at home, where the Pels continue to bafflingly play worse (21-15) than they do on the road (24-14)

Overall the team ranks in the bottom 5 for clutch time offensive efficiency - a lot of dribbling and iso plays will do that - and is just 1-6 in games decided by three points or less. Unless that changes, the Pels will continue to be less than the sum of their considerable parts. And Pels fans will continue to drink.

1711876153400.png

A depressed Pelican yesterday.

... like the zebras continue to adore the dudes wearing purple and gold.

The Lakers went 3-1 this week, as their inevitable late run to qualify for the playoffs continued. As far as the officiating went, the final free throw count fell 128-66 LA's way, or an average of over +15 free throw attempts per game.

Rick Carlisle became the latest in a long line of coaches to offer a blunt assessment of the continuing disparity. It'll all even out in the end, right? Right?!

... like Draymond loves giving his coaches and teammates heart palpitations.

Oh, Dray. And just when we were thinking he'd turned over a new leaf too. Maybe.

He began his week by attempting to do to our Patty what he did to Rudy Gobert a few months back. He then followed that by impressively getting himself tossed less than four minutes into the Dubs game against Orlando.

Steve Kerr seems destined to waver between optimism and despair. Steph on the other hand...

Coming Up

Monday
- It's a Texas Throwdown as the red-hot Rockets and surging Mavs clash. Elsewhere the Thunder visit NY, and the Nugs host the Cavs.

Tuesday - Pretty grim pickings - it's like the NBA dumps all the worst games on a Tuesday. Either watch Pels/Suns, or catch up on work.

Wednesday - This is more like it. Sixers/Thunder, Heat/Knicks, Wolves/Rockets, Kings/Clips or Dubs/Mavs - your choice.

Thursday - Celtics/Thunder could be a Finals preview. Meanwhile Orlando visit Nawlins, and the Cavs travel to Phoenix.

Friday - Like Wednesday, plenty of choices here - Heat/Sixers, Knicks/Kings, Rockets/Dubs and Clips/Nugs all featured.

Saturday - Fair bit to play for here too - Indy/OKC, Boston/Sactown, Chicago/NY, Dallas/Golden State or Phoenix/Minny, take your pick.

Sunday - The Cavs and Lakers will be GOTD, unless you really, really look forward to Nets/Pistons blockbusters.

May your week be filled with more love than peternorth 's most famous movies.

You missed this one, where Draymond was mms from being suspended for the season.

I almost get the split second ones where it's all impulse. but the ejection on a nothing play 4 minutes into the game, and the one below in a game we are in control of just tell me that it will be only a matter of time.

Knicks giving me heart problems. 10 up in the last to give up and lead and have it blown out to 8 only to get back infront with 4 seconds left only to give up an easy shot for SGA and lose the game.

Really let one get away today.

Knicks giving me heart problems. 10 up in the last to give up and lead and have it blown out to 8 only to get back infront with 4 seconds left only to give up an easy shot for SGA and lose the game.

Really let one get away today.
Was a very tense game. Ordinarily I would say no shame in losing to us, but losing in that fashion would be very disheartening.

Related but unrelated, was glad to see Josh Giddey do his thing even with Shai back in the team. Showing why he's so valuable to this team and I'm very happy we didn't end up trading him before the deadline. Hopefully his momentum continues into the playoffs.

Was a very tense game. Ordinarily I would say no shame in losing to us, but losing in that fashion would be very disheartening.

Related but unrelated, was glad to see Josh Giddey do his thing even with Shai back in the team. Showing why he's so valuable to this team and I'm very happy we didn't end up trading him before the deadline. Hopefully his momentum continues into the playoffs.
Thibs does run the players into the ground, Donte had a shocker today just wasn’t on. Would have played Bogdanovic more minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How are the Bucks getting trounced by a side that’s trying to lose

Players lost a bet and were forced to listen to Doc's incoherent ramblings.

Malachi Flynn with a lazy 50 pts. I wonder when the last time a white dude put up 50 points was :D

I want that stat but no one ever gonna produce it are they :D
Outside of Luka the most recent one I can find is Jokic in the 2020-21 season although I might have missed some

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back