Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

He is no Higgins.
Last year Higgins was U18 AA, the Morrish medal winner (Best TAC cup player), Vic Metros MVP and was the highest ranked U18 in Champion data points in history.
Higgins backed it up with a good season in his first year in AFL.
McHenry has a long way to go to be spoken about like Higgins.
Higgins was a full time footballer in his draft year dropping out of school to concentrate on football, similarly Stocker this year.....so no school footy or exams etc to worry about. Is it just a coincidence 2 "full time" footballers won the Morrish Medal the last 2 years?

I don't think they were suggesting Ned is as good or better than Jack, merely that they share some traits.
My point is Higgins was far, far more accomplished as an u18 player than McHenry is. Not just a bit more, but orders of magnitude more. He pretty much took every trophy on offer in his U18 year. He was drafted with pick 17. So McHenry is far more of a stretch at pick 16 than Higgins ever was.
Like always, doesnt mean that McHenry wont be a good player, but rest assured, Hamish went out long on this one.
Higgins was a full time footballer in his draft year dropping out of school to concentrate on football, similarly Stocker this year.....so no school footy or exams etc to worry about. Is it just a coincidence 2 "full time" footballers won the Morrish Medal the last 2 years?
He also cleaned up everything else as well.

Like always, doesnt mean that McHenry wont be a good player, but rest assured, Hamish went out long on this one.

You'll convince yourself eventually.
I saw plenty of Ned play in the flesh this year and he just kept growing on me every time I saw him so I'm goingb with Hamish not your assessment... I'm sure you'll come around to loving this kid when you see him play in the flesh.

You'll convince yourself eventually.
I saw plenty of Ned play in the flesh this year and he just kept growing on me every time I saw him so I'm goingb with Hamish not your assessment... I'm sure you'll come around to loving this kid when you see him play in the flesh.
Quick question Bicks. I read McHenry is an endurance machine, and the bigg st challenge with young draftees is getting their endurance up to AFL level. Do you see this kid playing games next year?

He is no Higgins.
Last year Higgins was U18 AA, the Morrish medal winner (Best TAC cup player), Vic Metros MVP and was the highest ranked U18 in Champion data points in history.
Higgins backed it up with a good season in his first year in AFL.
McHenry has a long way to go to be spoken about like Higgins.

Not by achievements but by style and personality, runs the same, yaps the same, tackles the same. Is better in other areas. Higgins is great and certainly benefited by playing for Richmond than for example the Gold Coast Suns. Remember....#27 on my board and last year I had Higgins at 6

Last edited:
Everything in his bio reminds me of when we picked up Sloane. I'm a bit late in claiming him as "my" draftee but I'm happy to join the queue :p

Everything in his Bio reminds me of Knight!

Small, but endurance machine. Good kick and tidy user of the ball. Loves the rough stuff, great tackler for his size, a team mate you’d love to have, but hate to play against.

Literally sums up Knight in a nutshell for me. Interesting times ahead!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had him at #27 but I trust Hamish, I think whilst I think there were better players on the board, none were better at defensive pressure, endurance and tackling than McHenry....plus he has a mouth, real mongrel and fight which I think we have lacked for a while, very much in the Jack Higgins mould, but perhaps better agility and evasiveness....and he's not slow, around packs he is nippy, and can burst away and give quick hands but quickly compose and balance and chip to the right option....his brain ticks over very quickly with ball in hand so he'll be fine, especially in our development sysem.
I’m happy that we drafted 2 maniacs that will train and play like their life depends on it

2 obsessive footballers coming in , will help shape future culture

Im not sure I understand this pick.
Not doubing if he will be a good player, but with trading in two smaller forwards in McAdam and Stengle, Im not sure we needed his type.
I agree as just don't understand why we are loading up with small forward types.
We need some x factor players with some outside speed and get more KPP into team.
Feel so deflated after looking forward to our big slice of the super draft .

I agree as just don't understand why we are loading up with small forward types.
We need some x factor players with some outside speed and get more KPP into team.
Feel so deflated after looking forward to our big slice of the super draft .

I don’t think Hamish has overlooked Caldwell or Hately lightly. Expect huge things from Jones. Absolutely huge things.

I am also trusting Hamish that McHenry was best availabile. We didn’t pick him because he was a small forward. We see a few championship games and a 5 minute clip on most of these kids. Our scouts watch them for years. I expect McHenry to be a better player than most if not all the players taken after him.

I like when we do the opposite of the crowd. Buy low.

There’s a fad towards very tall mids in the last few years.

We just drafted two physical competitive skilful footballers. Would they have gone in the top 5 if they were a handful of cm taller?

Running power was a need for us. Both draftees meet that need.

There’s multiple ways to build a premiership team. Hawks mids weren’t especially quick. Tigers mids weren’t especially tall. This is a good fit for us.

Clearly the super draft tag Was overplayed if we were happy to deal pick 19. We wanted the star SA lads; they weren’t available, and nothing else on the board greatly appealed; so we roll the dice for 2019.

:thumbsu:

Small clearance player? Yuk.
Small player with limited speed? Yuk (Rory Laird is the exception, not the rule here)
Likely to end up as a small forward as a first rounder (which seeing he's sub 180cm is a likely thing)? Yuk.

I'm hoping there is much more then meets the eye here, because right now, I'm missing something with this pick. Hopefully this is just the case of whoever wrote that is just also missing something with McHenry.

Edit: Watching the draft highlights - I still don't get drafting McHenry this early.
Brisbane just paid a high price for a midfielder like Ned....... and he doesnt have the aggression or niggle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back