New AFL Career Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Mahama said:
No, not a bug, most likely you only juuust missed out on winning it.

Just on the update, I'll be implementing the new Brownlow system this afternoon, assuming everything goes to plan, so it should be available for download this evening.

One thing I'd like a couple of opinions on though is that for suspensions and injuries to be fully implemented, I'll have to have it so that save games from the current version do not work with the update. If anyone has any games currently going, I'd suggest they finish up with them before installing the update ;)

you sure it aint a bug?

i just played a season at state level.
25 matches
822 disposals
182 goals
43 behinds

most disposals 36
most goals 10
average disposals 32.9
average goals 7.3
B.O.G's 14

all i won was the goal kicking award..
more then half the games i was BOG and i didn't even win the B&F.

You've covered some questions that were asked of me on another board earlier today, so I'll post the answers here too:

Finals: There are finals at the moment, hence there being 25 games in a season rather than 22, however its at a very basic stage right now as I wanted to concentrate on individual players before including team results, ladders, etc. Team features, including finals, are high on my priority list, but will take a bit of time to implememt.

Awards: For the next update the Brownlow system will be changed, which will result in more people winning it. I'll also be looking at the difficulty levels for each of the other awards and tweaking them, now that I've received so much feedback since I released the game.

Also, the game was written in Visual Basic, and no sorry, I have no plans for now or in the future to release the game in any form other than what it is in now ;)

Mahama said:
You've covered some questions that were asked of me on another board earlier today, so I'll post the answers here too:

Finals: There are finals at the moment, hence there being 25 games in a season rather than 22, however its at a very basic stage right now as I wanted to concentrate on individual players before including team results, ladders, etc. Team features, including finals, are high on my priority list, but will take a bit of time to implememt.

Awards: For the next update the Brownlow system will be changed, which will result in more people winning it. I'll also be looking at the difficulty levels for each of the other awards and tweaking them, now that I've received so much feedback since I released the game.

Also, the game was written in Visual Basic, and no sorry, I have no plans for now or in the future to release the game in any form other than what it is in now ;)

i just played a full career.. (first time) hated how quickly my skills declined... it made me sad.
BUT i found a loophole.. sign a long as hell contract in the afl (as ur declining) save a ********LOAD of money, and when ur contract runs out, and u go back to stat league, just spend all ur money on maxing out ur stats each week.. get back on a long afl contract, and repeat..

i got REALLY bored of that after i did it once though.. so i started signing 1 year contracts to get it finished with :)

ended up playing 350 afl games, 100 state, 100 1sts, 150 ressies. and i was 41 from memory?

Yeah, the quick decline of skills is my way of trying to 'naturally' force you into retirement. You decline will get steeper and steeper before peaking at age 45 I believe. Too bad you didnt keep going as long as you could, I'd like to know if it would still be possible to do the strategy you mentioned into your 40's ;)

Anyway, some good news. Update 1.23 is finally here! :p
Note that, like I said earlier, any save games from previous versions will not work with this update.
Here's a list of the changes/new features:
-Completely re-did the way Brownlow votes are done. This will result in Brownlows being awarded more often, especially for amazing seasons. You will now also be informed of how many votes you got for the season, and if you didn't win, how many votes the winner got and your position.
-Added suspensions and injuries. Suspension and injury times vary, and at the moment there are no long-term injuries.
-Added new events to give more variety
-Fixed a bug where when you reached 1000 career goals, the headline displayed incorrect information

As always, due to the short testing time, there may be bugs as a result of the new features so let me know if thats the case. Just on the Brownlow, I just played about 5 seasons at top performance in the AFL and won it once. Unfortunately I think it was the best season I've ever played (17 BOG :eek:) so it might not say much. See how you all go though ;)

http://footystargame.tripod.com/

mahama 2 questions about the new update, why does my health and match gear go down when im injured or suspended, im not playing so they shouldnt
and i just finished a season in the afl and i was suspensed so i couldnt win the brownlow, but it said i had polled 0 votes when i had 9 bog's and it also said the winner had 0 votes

Your health and match gear go down naturally anyway, so even if you dont play a match, you'll find your match gear quality decreasing due to lack of use, and your energy decreasing due to lack of match practice.
As for the issue with 0 votes, I'll take a look at that. At least you were ineligible anyway

Lol, yep, that was the idea. I believe I've fixed it now, will test it to make sure soon, so next update you'll all be able to experience the pain of Chris Grant :(

I just got fined for being in a melee when I was out injured.

I have heard of flying the flag for teammates but this is too far.

Also I have played one game up to the age of 47 and still had about $10b in the bank. Played 40 games for Australia and won 20 colemen medals, 12 B&F's and captain 20 times. Got bored but I think I could make it to 100 years old if i tried

PuzzledfromParkville said:
I just got fined for being in a melee when I was out injured.

I have heard of flying the flag for teammates but this is too far.

Also I have played one game up to the age of 47 and still had about $10b in the bank. Played 40 games for Australia and won 20 colemen medals, 12 B&F's and captain 20 times. Got bored but I think I could make it to 100 years old if i tried

Will fix up a few of the events that assume you played now.
Good on you for sticking up for your team mates though ;)

Also, when you played the game up to the age of 47, was that this version or a previous one? Because I know that a couple of updates back that was very possible, however now it should be bloody hard to be able to do something like that.
If it is from this version, then let me know and I'll add in somemore 'features' to make old age effect players even more.

might have found a problem, im in 3rd or 4th season in the afl and the brownlow results are no longer coming up at the end of the season
it has happened for the past 2 seasons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dang Leafie, you seem rather good at finding these kinda problems that I find hard to duplicate. Can I ask you to send me your save file again?
Thanks

Also if you get injured or you are suspended it still counts in games played! For example injured or not it says that you played 25 games a season!

Alrighty, a few things to address now...

Leafie: I've managed to fix up your save game and take a look at it. It looks like you were sitting on 0 votes. I'm not sure if thats what you mean when you say that the Brownlow Results dont come up (That is, it just says that you got 0 votes). Regardless, I have fixed up a problem that would result in the awards not showing up, so once I release the update let me know if it happens again.
And out of interest has it happened in the seasons following the two seasons that the results didnt show up?

Milanista: This is more of a display issue than anything else. The main screen shows matches played for the season by your team, rather than you, and the contracts page should count injury and suspensions games as it does, however the stats all assume that you play when you may not have. I'll fix that up for the next update.

Speaking of the next update: It will just be a minor one, fixing a few of the bugs that have popped up lately and adding a few new events. After that I will be taking my time on Footy Star 1.3, which I'm hoping to add a lot of new features to. I wont say exactly what these will be yet, but rest assured that many things that have been asked for will be included.
Expect that to take more than a few weeks to be completed.

Good to hear Leafie, let me know if it does end up happening again :)

Bogan, Viper's right, are you sure you didnt just download the update? Download the full version, unzip it, run the setup file then run the program. Its all fairly well step-by-step. If the problem is something different let me know.

I just made $300 for umpiring a juniors football game, even though I was injured and couldn't play for another 3 weeks. lol.

But I haven't got the update yet. So not sure if it has been fixed or not.

What sort of numbers are people averaging?

I made AFL at the age of 20.

Avg Dis - 32.1
Avg Goals - 6.1

(I'm a HFF. 196cm, 98kg)

I made the AFL at the age of 20 also.

I won the Brownlow medal in my second year!! :D

Here are some of my stats

Games: 51
Ave Disp: 28.55
Ave Goals: 0.85
BOG's: 13

Remove this Banner Ad