New Regatta Point stadium proposal for Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm just interested to hear what people's opinions are on Dean Coleman's stadium plans for Regatta Point in Hobart. The stadium will hold 23,000 with the option to increase to 30,000 in the future if required and tax payers share for this proposal will be capped at $750 million with private investors to pay for the rest of the $2.3 billion development that includes shops, apartments,Hotel, supermarket and Hospital.

If you can get the funding then build it and it's done. I'd increase to 30k from the get go (AAMI rectangular in Melbourne is only $30K and its tiny) and ensure a roof.

The argument that that money should be spent on hospitals and the homeless etc, whilst worthy, is not valid. Unfortunately Governments budgets don't work that way - if you scrap the stadium you don't magically have $750 mil to spend on hospitals. It just gets taken away and you have to fight a different battle again for that funding.

If you can get the funding then build it and it's done. I'd increase to 30k from the get go (AAMI rectangular in Melbourne is only $30K and its tiny) and ensure a roof.

The argument that that money should be spent on hospitals and the homeless etc, whilst worthy, is not valid. Unfortunately Governments budgets don't work that way - if you scrap the stadium you don't magically have $750 mil to spend on hospitals. It just gets taken away and you have to fight a different battle again for that funding.
Apparently they have big investors ready to go here in Australia and overseas. They have said they don't want have a half full stadium so see 23,000 has plenty at this stage. I think the hardest part of this project is all the work required and approvals required to build it out into the Derwent river.

I'm just interested to hear what people's opinions are on Dean Coleman's stadium plans for Regatta Point in Hobart. The stadium will hold 23,000 with the option to increase to 30,000 in the future if required and tax payers share for this proposal will be capped at $750 million with private investors to pay for the rest of the $2.3 billion development that includes shops, apartments,Hotel, supermarket and Hospital.

Which is always stated and almost never happens.

Costs are enormous.

They said the same thing about AAMI Park.

Dean
I really don't get the 23,000 capacity with "option to increase to 30,000".

Surely it would be cheaper and less disruptive to just build a 30,000 seat stadium now?
Dean Coleman said it would be very easy to increase capacity later on if required.

It's going to be built.
There is huge support down here for both the stadium and AFL team.

The noise about no stadium has been drowned out.
The government said the other day this stadium is not part of the contract so they have to get to government on board yet and a lot of question marks still remain for this proposal.

Which is always stated and almost never happens.

Costs are enormous.

They said the same thing about AAMI Park.
Dean Coleman said it would very straight forward to add the extra capacity to this ground later on if required.

Dean Coleman said it would very straight forward to add the extra capacity to this ground later on if required.

Yeah, they said that about AAMI Park too.

Then after construction they said you need to deconstruct the entire roof structure at the cost of about $150m.

It's a throw away line to keep everyone happy with the smaller capacity.

Hopefully, it happens, the only bugbear will come when any of the big four clubs in Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond or Essendon are drawn to play the Tassie team in a final.
Apparently they already have big investors ready to go in Australia and overseas.

Yeah, they said that about AAMI Park too.

Then after construction they said you need to deconstruct the entire roof structure at the cost of about $150m.

It's a throw away line to keep everyone happy with the smaller capacity.
Fair enough,The governments plan is going to be able to be increased to 40,000, but obviously it looks like that is going to cost a lot more to the taxpayer and is unpopular with the public.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could guarantee that I would go down to fassie for at least one game a year (hopefully carlton) and spend 4 or 5 days in the state and spend a bit of money there. Great part of the world.

There would be plenty like me. Every game v a Victorian team.

I could guarantee that I would go down to fassie for at least one game a year (hopefully carlton) and spend 4 or 5 days in the state and spend a bit of money there. Great part of the world.

There would be plenty like me. Every game v a Victorian team.
Hopefully the government has a serious look at this proposal,because it's getting a lot more public support than their proposal. I hope you enjoy your time in Tassie if you come,I have lived most of my 35 years here,but I'm moving to Ballarat soon.

Hopefully the government has a serious look at this proposal,because it's getting a lot more public support than their proposal. I hope you enjoy your time in Tassie if you come,I have lived most of my 35 years here,but I'm moving to Ballarat soon.
You must love cold weather!!

Cats have done it.

They built a stand at a time and completely demolished the old ones.

They didn't deconstruct and rennovate new stands.

All they mean by "can be extended to 30,000" is the engineering on the footings of the stadium.

Nothing is cheap or easy about extending a new stadium 30% of its capacity.

Ballarat is colder than Tassie LOL.

Tas guvment needs to get this moving or the date for the new Tassie team will start to drift out another year, then another year, then another ......

Jackie Lambie on board now or is she still wanting to stick the proposed stadium up people's clackers?

Ballarat is colder than Tassie LOL.

Tas guvment needs to get this moving or the date for the new Tassie team will start to drift out another year, then another year, then another ......

Jackie Lambie on board now or is she still wanting to stick the proposed stadium up people's clackers?
Maybe it's colder but my wife and I love Ballarat so we are looking forward to it. I haven't heard anything about what Jackie Lambie thinks about this proposal, but it has got other people or groups on board that are dead against the government proposal at Macquarie Point.

If you expect demand to sit regularly within 23000 seats then don't go ahead with it.

23,000?
giphy.gif

Last edited:
23000??? Really.
30000 min you would have thought.
If it goes at 23000 with a standalone dedicated Tassie team it will be hard to grow membership above 20000 without members going on a seated waiting list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back