New rule changes causing injuries?

wallyt99

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2007
Bay 13
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawks have been pretty beset by injury - so perhaps I have a skewed perspective - but I know Richmond has also had some big injuries already this season.

With reduced rotations, and banning of runners - rules specifically designed to make players more tired - to 'reduce congestion'.... is the result actually that more players are getting injured? I know when you are tired you are far more prone to injury.

Hawks have been pretty beset by injury - so perhaps I have a skewed perspective - but I know Richmond has also had some big injuries already this season.

With reduced rotations, and banning of runners - rules specifically designed to make players more tired - to 'reduce congestion'.... is the result actually that more players are getting injured? I know when you are tired you are far more prone to injury.

What about the other 16 clubs then?

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

Not sure how banning runners makes the players more tired.

I'm definitely in favour of tge injury risk being into account with any rule changes though. Just not sure how to reduce it that way.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Every year there’s a couple of clubs that are hit hard with injury. Last year GWS were losing players weekly, Collingwood lost quite a few, and Geelong essentially had to replace their whole defense with a steeple chaser and a bunch of kids.

This year is no different really.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

What a ******* dumb thread idea. * no.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Malthuse said reduce rotations would lead to increased injuries. Maybe he was right. Fatigue might be a factor in soft tissue injuries but I doubt it impacts collision or tackle injures like. I can't how any other rule changes could impact injuries.

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

You would have made more sense if you theorised it was due to less players sucking darts and having a tin at half time.

There are more injuries in the modern game because its faster. End of.

Also players arent allowed to play through more than a cold these days so of course numbers are up.

david addison

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's true. Players are reporting chafing on the palms of their hands since the 'hands in the back' rule was repealed. That's not all. The runners are now doing their hammies because they're not staying warm. Plus the person who wrote the new rules developed RSI. Not only that, Hocking stared at the rule book so long that he now requires glasses. I'm not making this stuff up. One of those guys that stand on the boundary line holding up a sign to communicate with the players, dislocated a shoulder and is now suing the AFL.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
The smaller pre-season competitive stuff is also having an impact.

Instead of training going to medium intensity contact stuff, then to high intensity contact stuff; we are now basically going from training to high intensity contact stuff and injuries are the result...

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
I said in the pre season that players are so fit these days they’ll outdo rules anyway

Scoring is down

Skill levels are deplorable in many games

Causing injuries...no but no runners has made the game look rather amateur with stupid signs on the sidelines .....

Really does make it look like amateur event

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
without being a physiology-talkin' guy, i would imagine it's certainly possible from a fatigue point of view. you get fatigued more (and earlier in the game), while the coaching may still have the same requirements of you, though this is something that would be difficult to actually confirm.
you'd change your running style and be subjected an increased possibility of injury.

the injuries like knees and breaks and other things... is it possible they come about by having more people to collide with in a particular zone after a goal has scored? that 6-6-6 state really doesn't last long enough to consider it a factor i would think.

Back