Multiplat Next Gen TV buying guide and cheat sheet v1.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
READ ME:

This actually took me longer and required more info than I originally thought! So please consider this a draft at this point and reply with any mistakes and corrections, formatting errors making it hard to read (I use the dark style for the site) and anything I should have included that I have missed. Also let me know if anything needs further explaining. Also feel free to recommend any good value TVs I missed in the recommendation part.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you're keen on a PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X and want a new TV to make the most of it but have no idea what to get? Hopefully this will make things clearer and act as a cheat sheet to cross reference those jibberish TV spec sheets.

----

PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X support 8K Output! Do I need a new TV?

Short answer: No.
Longer answer: Most likely no.

Slightly longer answer: Not really. Firstly put things into perspective. The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X were capable of 4k 60fps. How many games did we see at those outputs? A handful of older ports and indie titles. Judging by the actual hardware in next gen consoles this will likely be a 4k 30fps and 4k 60fps generation. If you watch things like Netflix or AppleTV through an app on your TV in 4k and HDR you are more than likely already set for next gen. You may need to look up your TV's specs for its HDMI standard though.

----

What the hell do the different HDMI standards mean?!

HDMI generations have different bandwidth limits. Things like refresh rate and colour range will increase the amount of bandwidth required. So the more frames per second (FPS) you want at a greater colour depth will come at a higher bandwidth requirement. Ultimately your max FPS will be goverend by your TV's refresh rate (Hz) and colour depth by whether the TV is 10bit or 8bit (see following table explanation notes about chroma subsampling).

Bande-Passante-Normes-HDMI_700.jpg

Quick guide of output limits of HDMI standards pertinent to gaming. HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 received multiple revisions over time, however buying a TV today (or have purchased one in the last few years) is assuming 1.4b and 2.0b standards. HDR is listed for 10 bit video. Dolby Vision is a step up again at 12 bit and convolutes this a little more. It's a proprietary standard that's not on every TV and only on the Xbox Series X.

HDMI 1.4HDMI 2.0HDMI 2.1
1080p 144hzNO HDR
1080p 120hz NO HDR*
1080p 60hz HDR
1080p 240hzNO HDR
1080p 144hzHDR
4k 60hzNO HDR*
4k 30hz HDR
4k 144hzHDR
4k 60hz Dolby Vision

*HDR available by dropping chroma subsampling from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. What is chroma subsampling? https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling

----

Things to look out for on TV specifcations

Refresh rate

Often some cheeky things are added to specifications that are quite honestly misleading. They are full of buzz words but when looking for a TV for gaming then most of it isn't even relevan. Refresh rates on store pages like JB and Good Guys don't tell the whole story and it's often good practice to look the model up on the manufacturers website.

Example: I'm currently looking at a budget TCL 55" TV. It's details page is states "100 Clearmotion rate". This TV is trying to advertise a refresh rate of 100. Digging deeper the native refresh rate of this TV is actually 50hz. So why does it say 100? Other brands may do something similar and state 120, but it's the same thing. What they do is insert a frame between each frame received from their source. This actually makes the image look smoother, but it also adds a lot of input lag and more often than not when you enable any "game" modes that a TV may have it will typically disable this feature anyway. When watching a TV show or more this also adds what is called a soap opera effect. Sometimes instore demos will play video game footage using these motion rate settings to make it appear that gaming will be silky and smooth on that TV but it's untrue.

Colour depth
This might be hiding under sections like bit rate or something. What you're looking for is 10bit. Most HDR capable TVs now are 10bit so that makes it easier. Just look for HDR10 or 10+ or something and of course check manufacturer's website. What you want to look for and avoid are things like 8bit or 8bit+2FRC (sneaky way of claiming "10 bit"). It's 2020, if you're not shopping for a HDR TV then you should ask yourself why do you even want a new TV.

Input lag and response time
Input lag is the time it takes from when you push a button to when the TV receives the signal. Response time is the time it takes for the pixels to change on the screen. You probably won't need to shop for this feature as most TVs today have it, but you'll want your TV to have a "game" mode. This disables all the useless features irrelevant to gaming that will greatly improve your input lag. Then the faster the response time the less time pixels will linger on a screen and reducing motion blur. Monitors are the best for this because they're typically as low as less than 5ms which is why super competitive gamers will choose a monitor. It's not uncommon for a TV to be around 15ms or less. Anything over 20ms should be discarded.

----

Yeah, but I'm just here to find out what TV to buy? TL: DR pls.

Ok ok, here it is. I've chucked together a collection of TVs organised by price and hopefully readily available (so no obscure ALDI brands). They're generally scalable by size, I've just linked to 55" versions as they're the most popular so you'll need to look up larger sizes if that's what you're after. Only the top the range TVs will come with HDMI 2.1 so most of these will be 4k 30 or 60 with HDR capable. If you want to future proof and get HDMI 2.1, then either pay the premium now or wait until next year when it should start rolling out on more TVs.

These are also more family TVs as smaller ones (under 55") are usually a bit harder as they often lack certain features or technologies that the full featured larger models come with. I've also used JB Hifi as they're one of the most popular and wide spread retailers in Australia. Good Guys and Harvey Norman generally stock the same things at similar prices.

Please check out the RTings reviews. In fact if you're interested in any TV at all see if you can find their review of it. They're the best TV review source on the internet and go over every aspect allowing you to make the most informed decision.

Samsung TU8000 - if you haven't upgraded your TV in a long time and not too concerned by the latest and great then this might be a good option. Historically Samsung's 8000 models were their flag ships but they have been superseded by their QLED line and now these are more budget to medium. The details of the TU8000 claim 100hz (which I looked up to be "100hz motion rate", but after some digging I found it has HDMI version 2.0 with HDR10+ so this is a solid and affordable 4k 30/60 HDR option.

Samsung Q70T - at the time of writing this is a $600 jump at 55" from the TU8000. The Q60T is the entry point of Samsung's premium QLED line and is priced in between but it is not much of an improvement over the TU8000. The reason the Q70T is included is because it's the first of the QLED models to include HDMI 2.1. This is a fantastic option for PS5 owners because for XBSX owners it does not include Dolby Vision which is something you might be shopping for.

For gaming purposes the Q80T and Q90T don't offer a lot more, but if you've got the budget then you might want to consider them for your other TV purposes. They won't lack any of these previous gaming features though.

Nano86 - LG are more known for their OLED TVs but it would be remiss to exclude this one. It is an IPS panel so it will actually suit anyone who is looking for a bright TV. It's HDMI 2.1 and priced similar to the Samsung Q70T however it supports both HDR10 as well as Dolby Vision.

CX - OLED is recommended for a reason, one of the best technologies for gaming TVs you will find. Typically LG organise their OLED models by alphabet and year (2019 was B9, C9, etc) but currently there only seems to be the CX. It's expensive though. I wouldn't say it's future proof though as it doesn't support 8K. 8K content doesn't even really even exist though... so that's up to you.

X9000H - might be a better option than the entry level Samsung QLED lines. HDMI 2.1, HDR10, Dolby Vision and about the same price.

55Q8 - Might not be the best buy at this price due to being HDMI 2.0 (in between budget Samsungs and the entry HDMI 2.1 models) but Hisense have become a quality option for a while now.

----

Last edited by a moderator:

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
Nice initial write up, I'm torn. I returned on Q80T because I found out that it doesn't have anti glare and reflection like the USA Q80T.
I'm willing to step up to a Q95T for those features but I'm shitty that Samsung doesn't have Dolby Vision, refuse to pay 4-5k and missing a basic software feature because Samsung is stubborn and going with HDR10+ unlike everyone else who is DV.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Nice initial write up, I'm torn. I returned on Q80T because I found out that it doesn't have anti glare and reflection like the USA Q80T.
I'm willing to step up to a Q95T for those features but I'm shitty that Samsung doesn't have Dolby Vision, refuse to pay 4-5k and missing a basic software feature because Samsung is stubborn and going with HDR10+ unlike everyone else who is DV.

When I was having a look around at the different models when writing that up I was surprised at the inconsistency between models of the same brands regarding Dolby Vision. I'm assuming that it comes with a licensing cost and some TVs are designed to hit a particular price point to compete with a competitor and adding DV affects that.

Great post 👍

Ive been researching for a new TV for the past couple of weeks as my current TV is 7 years old, only Full HD and smart functions slow and outdated. So ill contribute something here as I feel like my research can save someone some time.

A good youtube video that helped me decide what TV i want to get is this one:

This guy helps explain that basically buying your next TV boils down what will you use your TV for - General use (movies/tv), Sports, or Gaming. And you shouldnt spend money on unnecessary features if you wont ever use them. Overall, a general use TV is cheaper, with a gaming TV being the most expensive.

Another helpful bit of info i discovered was this page that calculates what TV size is ideal for your theatre room: https://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html#anchor_13194
My couch is about 11.5 feet from the TV stand and I have noticed occasionally needing to lean forward sometimes for my 65" inch for reading text, or when split-screen gaming. After using that calculator, im now in the market for an 85" inch TV.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship
The extra screen surface area upgrade from 65" inch to 85" is from 1.166m2 to almost double in 1.993m2. Quite a jump.

Now go ahead and laugh at me, but I even went to the trouble of cutting a 20" inch piece of cardboard and sticking it outwards to my current TV to approximately visualize what ill be looking at!

85 inch visual.jpg

So screen size is probably the most important thing I wont sacrifice on. I could maybe get away with 75" inch screen but I just want to lay back in my recliner lounge and not ever have to lean forward again for any reason.

After that, my decision now boiled down to my TV habits and I mostly game on my TV or watch sports. And since i probably wont buy another TV again for 7-8 years I want as much future proofing as possible. This means I want HDMI 2.1 input(s), FALD, HDR 10, VRR, Dolby ATMOS/eARC, and 4k @120hz (there are still some new TV's that only have 60hz and/or 1440p). These seem to be the features most important and if I've left anything out please let me know.

There are other aspects of a TV such as brightness/nits, contrast, grey uniformity, that affect teh quality of a picture, and in general OLED cant be beaten. There is MicroLED but unless you have $100,000+ and want to cover a wall you wont be getting that. Theres also TCL's miniLED which is a step down from OLED, but it lacks lots of features that I require. TCL might include these features in models next year, or other brands like Sony, Samsung will create their own miniLED models with gaming features.

Id love an OLED that is 85" inch but i dont have $30,000 budget. Even the 77" inch OLEDs are over $8,000 and i dont have that sort of disposable income. So price or value for money is the next box to tick and if i want an 85" inch TV with gaming features ill be sacrificing a little bit on picture quality. But since i currently own a 7 year old 1080p TV, any 4k TV is a decent picture quality upgrade. After all of my research and taking into consideration my budget i think I have a choice between the Sony X900h or the Samsung Q80T. Im leaning more towards the Sony with one of the big reasons being its $1500 cheaper and with that I can get a decent Dolby ATMOS soundbar to complete my home theatre entertainment system. (My logitech 5.1 speakers i think ive had for 15 years lol).

Hope anyone looking to buy a new TV got something out of that, and please let me know if theres another consideration I have missed or should know about :)

Last edited:

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
When I was having a look around at the different models when writing that up I was surprised at the inconsistency between models of the same brands regarding Dolby Vision. I'm assuming that it comes with a licensing cost and some TVs are designed to hit a particular price point to compete with a competitor and adding DV affects that.
I'll try and find it but I read somewhere that Dolby Vision would cost Samsung $3 a TV.
Not sure if true but that really pissed me off reading that.
I hope they do a software update to the Q series TVs and add DV and not wait till 2021.
Xbox gamepass coming to Samsung TVs too so I wonder why no DV which both next gen consoles have.

Last edited:

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
Great post

Ive been researching for a new TV for the past couple of weeks as my current TV is 7 years old, only Full HD and smart functions slow and outdated. So ill contribute something here as I feel like my research can save someone some time.

A good youtube video that helped me decide what TV i want to get is this one:

This guy helps explain that basically buying your next TV boils down what will you use your TV for - General use (movies/tv), Sports, or Gaming. And you shouldnt spend money on unnecessary features if you wont ever use them. Overall, a general use TV is cheaper, with a gaming TV being the most expensive.

Another helpful bit of info i discovered was this page that calculates what TV size is ideal for your theatre room: https://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html#anchor_13194
My couch is about 11 feet from the TV stand and I have noticed occasionally needing to lean forward sometimes for my 65" inch for reading text, or when split-screen gaming. After using that calculator, im now in the market for an 85" inch TV. The extra surface area gained going from 65" to 85" is huge: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship
The extra screen surface area upgrade from 65" inch to 85" is from 1.166m2 to almost double in 1.993m2.

Now go ahead and laugh at me, but I even went to the trouble of cutting a 20" inch piece of cardboard and sticking it outwards to my current TV to approximately visualize what ill be looking at!

View attachment 965375
So screen size is probably the most important thing I wont sacrifice on. I could maybe get away with 75" inch screen but I just want to lay back in my recliner lounge and not ever have to lean forward again for any reason.

After that, my decision now boiled down to my TV habits and I mostly game on my TV or watch sports. And since i probably wont buy another TV again for 7-8 years I want as much future proofing as possible. This means I want HDMI 2.1 input(s), FALD, HDR 10, VRR, Dolby ATMOS/eARC, and 4k @120hz (there are still some new TV's that only have 60hz and/or 1440p). These seem to be the features most important and if I've left anything out please let me know.

There are other aspects of a TV such as brightness/nits, contrast, grey uniformity, that affect teh quality of a picture, and in general OLED cant be beaten. There is MicroLED but unless you have $100,000+ and want to cover a wall you wont be getting that. Theres also TCL's miniLED which is a step down from OLED, but it lacks lots of features that I require. TCL might include these in models next year, or other brands like Sony, Samsung will create their own miniLED models.

Id love an OLED that is 85" inch but i dont have $30,000 budget. Even the 77" inch OLEDs are over $8,000 and i dont have that sort of disposable income. So price or value for money is the next box to tick and if i want an 85" inch TV with gaming features ill be sacrificing a bit on picture quality. But since i currently own a 7 year old 1080p TV now any 4k TV is a decent picture quality upgrade. After all of my research and taking into consideration my budget i think I have a choice between the Sony X900h or the Samsung Q80T. Im leaning more towards the Sony with one of the big reasons being its $1500 cheaper and with that I can get a decent Dolby ATMOS soundbar to complete my home theatre entertainment system. (My logitech 5.1 speakers i think ive had for 15 years lol).

Hope anyone looking to buy a new TV got something out of that, and please let me know if theres another consideration I have missed or should know about :)
I still use a logitech 5.1 sound system for my main TV, it's a beast and such good value for price but with everything going away from optical cord and my 7 year old TV I'll be updating to a soundbar too.

Sounds like we're both in current and after similar features for future. Will check out the Sony TV. Thanks
I'll be going 65 or 75"

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Nice thread. I've been researching TVs to buy recently, but it's been hard to find a consolidated resource for the Australian market. The recs are helpful, even as a comparison point for other products.

It's so hard at the moment! So many different technologies and standards. Used to be just LED panel types like IPS, VA etc, your preferred size and then any smart features.

I still use a logitech 5.1 sound system for my main TV, it's a beast and such good value for price but with everything going away from optical cord and my 7 year old TV I'll be updating to a soundbar too.

Sounds like we're both in current and after similar features for future. Will check out the Sony TV. Thanks
I'll be going 65 or 75"
yeah those Logitech speakers have been one of my best purchases ever.

Let me know what you find with your research. One small red flag I had with the Samsung Q80T was that some buyers experienced problems with their Soundbars: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5...20-samsung-tv-s-with-one-connect/td-p/1857527

No doubt Samsung are working on resolving this issue and will resolve it. The latest tech in sound is a selling feature and has to work.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Some pretty good suggestions so far. How would we go about adding them to the OP? I want to keep it as simple as possible and also don't want to start looking at things like VRR and stuff yet. It's more help for the average gamer who might be a bit lost as the more experienced buyer will already have a good budget and knowledge of what to get.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
My understanding is that HDR10+ vs DV is yet another "standards" war (like HDDVD vs Bluray, VHS vs Betamax etc), with Samsung creating HDR10+ and others like LG and Sony backing DV

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Great post. Generally speaking for those that aren't tech/spec minded, you usually can't go too wrong with a current/new release Sony, Samsung or LG. These are generally the highest quality brands and specs and build quality will back that up. These days the current specs are your generally very good at everything TVs and most of the premium offerings are being built with gaming capability in mind as a need for the customer.

There's probably a next tier down of slightly cheaper Hisense (quickly improving), Panasonic (harder to find now, usually previous models or second hand), and maybe TCL as a next step.

Cheaper doesnt always mean poorer quality, but there is generally a correlation and why you would want to steer clear of some of the next brands outside of those, theres a reason your Soniq, Bauns, JVC, other random no name brand are priced where they are.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
Samsung offers everything we need especially how QLED are better in very bright rooms and the anti glare/reflection.

It just lacks Dolby vision for the consoles but I think XSX still supports HDR10+???

Would there a noticeable difference between Dolby vision and HDR10+

I'll be moving away from a 8 year old Samsung TV, so whatever I get will be a hugh upgrade.

Trying to future proof best as possible.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Would there a noticeable difference between Dolby vision and HDR10+
Right now? I get the impression the answer is no because there isn't a whole lot of content available (especially with Dolby Vision)

But if you were to keep this tv for another 8 years you might notice a problem (in terms of what content you can get at high end HDR) years down the track if you buy a TV that supports the format that loses the format war

FWIW the pros and cons of HDR10+ vs Dolby Vision are:
- HDR10+ pros
= free standard so other manufacturers might choose it which might make it more likely to win the "war" (although this hasn't happened so far)
= easier for content creators to go from HDR10 to HDR10+ than it is to make their stuff utilise DV (e.g. some Amazon Prime original programming is already available in HDR10+)

- Dolby Vision pros
= more colours (68.7 billion vs 1.07 billion) due to 12-bit vs 10-bit, which inherently means better contrast
= allows for more brightness (DV is mastered at 4000 nits whereas HDR10+ is anywhere from 1000 to 4000), although the utility of this is debateable considering very few tvs/monitors go above 1000 nits
= more big name manufacturers (i.e. LG, Sony) seem to have chosen Dolby Vision, which might make it more likely to win the "war"

Some quick reading if you're interested in the differences:

EDIT: Just to flesh out my comment about a lack of available content at present, this appears to be what is available right now:
Dolby Vision - some UHD Blurays (although the quality of these apparently can be patchy because they need to be remastered frame by frame), a few Netflix originals, a couple of things on Amazon Prime
HDR10+ - some UHD Blurays, a few Amazon Prime originals

Last edited:

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
I think next gen consoles supports freesync but not gsync, I've also seen you can't run VRR or game mode or free/gsync together.

So much confusing and conflicting information out there.

Need to table all this info on what next gen consoles offer/support to each major brand TV supports

Last edited:

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon

Just watched it. Decent discussion since the console isn't out yet. Hopefully we will see reviews within a month of console release.

I will wait for Boxing Day sale so my XSX will be hooked up to my 8 year old TV for 2 months.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Press Start are onto it too. Some more great advice in this link. Everyone feel free to add some more tips so I can update the OP. I'd hate for it to come up in a Google search for some rando and have wrong info lol

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
Well I won't be purchasing a new TV until console/TV reviews come out but I've narrowed it down to.

Samsung 65" Q95T or Sony 75" X9000H

Sony doesn't come with good anti glare/reflection which we would like but it's also a luxury.
But trying to weigh of the cons of each.
Sony doesn't have freesync
Samsung doesn't have Dolby Vision

Samsung is a 2000 nits panel so DV might not play a hugh part compared to 500-700 nits panel.
Samsung currently has software issues in game mode (ghosting) they say its going to be fixed.

You should get unreal pictures with the sony but might get screen tear without freesync.

Why can't these companies produce the perfect TV FFS

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Well I won't be purchasing a new TV until console/TV reviews come out but I've narrowed it down to.

Samsung 65" Q95T or Sony 75" X9000H

Sony doesn't come with good anti glare/reflection which we would like but it's also a luxury.
But trying to weigh of the cons of each.
Sony doesn't have freesync
Samsung doesn't have Dolby Vision

Samsung is a 2000 nits panel so DV might not play a hugh part compared to 500-700 nits panel.
Samsung currently has software issues in game mode (ghosting) they say its going to be fixed.

You should get unreal pictures with the sony but might get screen tear without freesync.

Why can't these companies produce the perfect TV FFS

That's why I think next year this sort of thing will be better when all these specs become more standard or at least on more options.

hornetswce

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
ok, so I have convinced the wife we need a new TV. took a couple of weeks but I got there!

I have around $1000 to spend, I know that wont get me a anything too flash, but I figure ill be able to get something that will work better with my PS5.

Ive narrowed it down to these 4, any thoughts would be appreciated.

LG 55" UN7300 4K UHD SMART LED TV
Sony 55" X7000G 4K UHD SMART LED TV
Samsung 55" TU8000 4K UHD SMART LED TV
Hisense 58" S5 4K UHD SMART LED TV

also, thanks for doing this guide dwwaino, helped me out a lot!

Purchased the LG 55" CX OLED, got Harvey Norman to drop the price to $2850, saving $150 off the current sale price.

I was waiting on the 48", but since LG said it was coming in September and now that's come and gone, I couldn't pass up the above price despite not necessarily wanting the extra sized TV.

Can't wait to give it a whirl, picking it up tomorrow, likely to set it up on the weekend. Going to be epic with the PS5 and Series X gaming!

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Purchased the LG 55" CX OLED, got Harvey Norman to drop the price to $2850, saving $150 off the current sale price.

I was waiting on the 48", but since LG said it was coming in September and now that's come and gone, I couldn't pass up the above price despite not necessarily wanting the extra sized TV.

Can't wait to give it a whirl, picking it up tomorrow, likely to set it up on the weekend. Going to be epic with the PS5 and Series X gaming!

I think I just read somewhere only tonight that the 48" has been delayed even longer anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back