Opinion Nickname

Louie the Lipinski

Senior List
Oct 12, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
^ There's an American ice hockey team called the New York Islanders. So it's not that out there. The Tasmanian Devils is too obvious and uninspired for mine. But as I said earlier, I'd go with the Tasmanian Reds. Gives them an inbuilt rivalry with the Blues from the get go. And if you can have the Blues why not the Reds?

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
^ There's an American ice hockey team called the New York Islanders. So it's not that out there. The Tasmanian Devils is too obvious and uninspired for mine. But as I said earlier, I'd go with the Tasmanian Reds. Gives them an inbuilt rivalry with the Blues from the get go. And if you can have the Blues why not the Reds?

Reds is boring. Doesn't mean anything. Queensland Rugby Reds are already a thing. Tasmanian Greens is also a thing, a political thing, so we might just leave that one alone. ;)

Tasmanian Devils has a strong appeal & association to this place.

Geez even Walt Disney liked it!! :)

Louie the Lipinski

Senior List
Oct 12, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reds is boring. Doesn't mean anything. Queensland Rugby Reds are already a thing. Tasmanian Greens is also a thing, a political thing, so we might just leave that one alone. ;)

Tasmanian Devils has a strong appeal & association to this place.

Geez even Walt Disney liked it!! :)
Each to their own, I guess. Tasmanian Devils is too obvious and dreary for me. 😴

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Each to their own, I guess. Tasmanian Devils is too obvious and dreary for me. 😴

Oh well, can't please everyone I guess!

Devils seems the most popular with most people. They probably just assume that'll be it.

I'd hate some silly thing like Tassie Timber, or Foresters, or Oysters or Abalones, or Apple islanders or non descript Greens, Reds or whatevers.

I mean fancy being called 'the Blues', how depressing. ;)

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I do not why you saying political.
The pioneers often cleared heavy bush areas via whoodchopping and even invented the sport in that part of world. Just seems a real endearing nod to some of the great history of past generations.

You don't know much about Tasmanian politics then.

Pioneers are one thing, modern old growth forest clearing is a much vexed issue here.

Greens politics started in Tasmania before the rest of the country. Its still strong here.

So forget anything to do with hurting trees. ;)

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
You don't know much about Tasmanian politics then.

Pioneers are one thing, modern old growth forest clearing is a much vexed issue here.

Greens politics started in Tasmania before the rest of the country. Its still strong here.

So forget anything to do with hurting trees. ;)
That is your association and meaning.
Does not resonate with me at all when I think of what Woodchopping is as a great sport started in Tasmania. Something to treasure. Not try to hoodwink with your political projections.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Its obvious, but after a few months who will care about the nickname so long as it isn't ridiculous. Any originality won't last more than that long anyway. Jackjumpers is just a thing now and they haven't played a game yet - and actually a pretty good name.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Its obvious, but after a few months who will care about the nickname so long as it isn't ridiculous. Any originality won't last more than that long anyway. Jackjumpers is just a thing now and they haven't played a game yet - and actually a pretty good name.

I thought Jack Jumpers was a bit 'left field' when they decided on it. However it has grown legs since then, so to speak! :)

Anyone who's come across those nasty little buggers would know the power of their bite. Indeed they've made a lot of people quite sick & sorry. They can cause Anaphylaxis in some unfortunate people.

So just like the Devil, they have a hell of a bite. ;)

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Helsingborg Australian FC

Why does Tasmania need/want a rivalry with Carlton????

If you want a team to be nicknamed Reds then it should be Essendon, which is also a real rivalry.

The closest we got was when Fitzroy was known as the Maroons.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
^ They won't have a local darby to create a rivalry. So calling themselves the Reds will create one with the Blues.
I doubt that. That's like saying 'The Eagles will have a rivalry with the Hawks because they're both meat-eating birds'.

Nicknames don't create rivalries.

Back