NFL No More Unbeaten Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2003
Drowning my sorrows on the end of some bar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
NUFC, Green Bay
The eagles got grounded, To was given stick and there are no more unbeaten teams
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20041107023

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The Pittsburgh Steelers made certain there's nobody unbeaten now in the NFL, except for Ben Roethlisberger.

The Steelers combined their still-flawless new quarterback with a touch of the old -- a Jerome Bettis of yesteryear and a defense that was Steel Curtain-tough -- to dominate the Philadelphia Eagles 27-3 Sunday and leave the NFL without an undefeated team.

The Steelers (7-1) ended the Eagles' seven-game winning streak a week after halting New England's record 21-game winning streak with an equally impressive 34-20 victory. Pittsburgh is the only team in NFL history to stop unbeaten teams in consecutive weeks after each had won at least six games.

``Nobody ever thought we'd do this,'' said Hines Ward, who scored the first two touchdowns. ``We're giving defensive coordinators heck trying to figure out what we're going to do, with weapons all over the field and a quarterback who just keeps getting better.''

How much better can Big Ben get than this? Roethlisberger is 6-0 as a starter -- the first rookie since the 1970 merger to do that since Pittsburgh's Mike Kruczek filled in for an injured Terry Bradshaw in 1976.

Here's the difference: Kruczek didn't throw a TD pass all season on a team that won behind the Steel Curtain; Roethlisberger (11 of 18, 183 yards, two touchdowns) has thrown for 11 touchdowns while playing with the polish and growing confidence of a much more experienced player.

ADVERTISEMENT

``He's remarkable,'' Eagles linebacker Mark Simoneau said. ``Look at him on the field and he doesn't look like a rookie, he looks like a guy who's been around four or five years. Give the guy credit, he made plays all day long.''

Roethlisberger drove the Steelers to a 21-0 lead on their first three possessions with the help of Bettis' 149 yards, his 55th career 100-yard game. The 1978 Steelers were the only other team in franchise history to start 7-1, en route to a 14-2 record and a Super Bowl title.

Ward scored on the first two drives, a 16-yard reverse and a 20-yard reception, then playfully mocked the Eagles (7-1) and star receiver Terrell Owens by flapping his arms Owens-like in the end zone each time.

No wonder Owens was screaming instead of strutting a week after celebrating a touchdown by imitating Ravens star Ray Lewis' pregame dance. Owens, coming off five consecutive 100-yard games, didn't catch his first pass until Pittsburgh led 21-0 and could be seen yelling at quarterback Donovan McNabb on the sidelines.

Owens ended with seven catches for 53 yards, and a heavily pressured McNabb was 15 of 24 for 109 yards and an interception.

``That just wasn't our offense out there, but it happens,'' McNabb said. ``We're not the first team undefeated that lost.''

McNabb and Owens downplayed the shouting incident, with both saying Owens was only trying to encourage the quarterback.

AP - Nov 7, 5:48 pm EST
More Photos

``When things aren't happening, you get frustrated,'' McNabb said. ``He was there telling me to be positive about everything. I'm usually the guy to provide confidence, but today he was that guy.''

The Steelers didn't miss injured running back Duce Staley (hamstring), the former 1,000-yard Eagles rusher, as their offensive line opened holes big enough for, well, a Bus to run through. Bettis, the No. 6 rusher in NFL history, gained only 129 yards in Pittsburgh's first seven games and was barely averaging a yard per carry until getting 65 yards against New England.

``Everybody assumed Jerome Bettis couldn't get it done any longer,'' said Bettis, a backup most of the last two seasons who had his best game since gaining 163 yards against Cleveland in 2001. ``People were asking, `Why is he still here?' I'm still here for a reason.''

Ward said, ``We have confidence in Jerome Bettis -- he is the Pittsburgh Steelers.''

A week after outrushing New England 221-5, the Steelers outran the Eagles 252-23 and outgained them 420-111 to end Philadelphia's nine-game road winning streak.

Maybe it was appropriate that many members of the 1979 Super Bowl champion Steelers were in attendance, because this was exactly the kind of commanding performance on both sides of the ball those Steelers were known for.

Just like the New England game, this one was decided early. The Steelers came out running right at the Eagles, partly to negate Philadelphia's blitz, and Roethlisberger passed only two times on an 11-play, 80-drive finished off by Roethlisberger's 16-yard scramble on third-and-13 and Ward's first career scoring run. Roethlisberger threw TD passes on the next two drives.

Notes

The Steelers chose to not try to score after reaching the Eagles' 8 with 2 1/2 minutes left. ... The crowd of 64,975 at 64,350-seat Heinz Field was a Steelers record, surpassing the 64,737 for the Patriots. ... Roethlisberger has won his last 19 starts, including his last 13 at Miami of Ohio last season. ... Philadelphia failed to become the seventh NFL team ever to win 10 consecutive road games. ... The Eagles were 0-for-8 on third downs and are 12-for-54 in their last five.

Re: #36 BUS stopping in Cleveland next week

ZimZum said:
Big Ben and The Bus. Killer combo.

And the BUS has a new passenger on this week. Welcome aboard ZimZum. Next stop...the Endzone in Cleveland next week.

The Steelers are scaring me. That's two huge win's over Superbowl contenders. I'm glad we dont have to face them in the regular season anyway.

What an embarrassing game that was.

At least we didn't get punished by Staley - amusingly all three of Phildalphia's 2003/2004 RBs were carrying injury.

It'll be interesting to see who can get into Roethlisberger's head. I guess someone with better CBs than Philadelphia.

Porthos said:
What an embarrassing game that was.

At least we didn't get punished by Staley - amusingly all three of Phildalphia's 2003/2004 RBs were carrying injury.

It'll be interesting to see who can get into Roethlisberger's head. I guess someone with better CBs than Philadelphia.

I liked seeing them go down, and that cocky TO. See a zebra cant change his spots. He still bitching about not getting the ball

crazy_big_al said:
I liked seeing them go down, and that cocky TO. See a zebra cant change his spots. He still bitching about not getting the ball

Steelers LB Joey Porter came out and supported TO about the way to carries on. I don't see anything wrong with having some fun. Whether it's him or another player...makes no difference, only TO can talk the talk, walk the walk like Akermanis and you gotta have some appreciation for these characters in the game otherwise you got less to get annoyed about :p with which makes it half as fun. Seems crazy_big_al enjoyed it.

crazy_big_al said:

He might not be able to change his spots, but if he was a leopard instead of a Zebra he could try.

Woodson said:
Surely not as humiliating as Power's insipid efforts vs North at TD this season. ;)
Not for me personally, but this is a bit like losing a Showdown pathetically.

Woodson said:
And the BUS has a new passenger on this week. Welcome aboard ZimZum. Next stop...the Endzone in Cleveland next week.

I think there's a chance of a big 'letdown' against the Browns next week. Two BIG wins in consecutive weeks sets this up.

I'll be willing to take them with the +4 points start!! :eek:

Woodson said:
Have been a long time follower of the Steelers my friend. Just havn't bothered posting on this board much. Don't worry, I can remember O'Donnell and Stewart.

One thing that worries me, is all the hype since Ben has started winning and such. On SportsCenter, they are calling him this seasons MVP, and the Steelers the best team in the NFL. If the Steelers get hit with the injuries they had last year, I don't think their depth can cover. Although the injury to Maddox worked in our favour.

ZimZum said:
Have been a long time follower of the Steelers my friend. Just havn't bothered posting on this board much. Don't worry, I can remember O'Donnell and Stewart.

One thing that worries me, is all the hype since Ben has started winning and such. On SportsCenter, they are calling him this seasons MVP, and the Steelers the best team in the NFL. If the Steelers get hit with the injuries they had last year, I don't think their depth can cover. Although the injury to Maddox worked in our favour.

The steelers OL can take a lot of credit for Ben's form. Give any QB with some talent that much time in the pocket and they will burn you.

I think teams need to stop the run and force the steelers to have to throw to score. Although philly brought 8 and 9 guys in the box on the weekend and the steelers running game still dominated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I think the Steelers running game has been an even bigger surprise than the form of Big Ben. Their running game was bad last year and while Staley is a good back he was nothing special at the Eagles. Roethlisberger was a gun in College and I really can't figure out why he wasn't the #1 pick, I just guess its the small school syndrome and the manning name. He certainly should have been picked before Phil Rivers. Either way, the Steelers got lucky because they weren't as bad as their #11 pick indicated.

Staley was good at the Eagles, but he was one of three running backs at a similar level, so none really shone. You'd know how that is with West Coast tall forwards.

Porthos said:
Staley was good at the Eagles, but he was one of three running backs at a similar level, so none really shone. You'd know how that is with West Coast tall forwards.
Ay!
But i do agree.. Staley was good at the Eagles..

Re: TO cops it on the chin

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_270378.html

What comes around goes around. Read link ppl. ;)

As for COOL-A-ROO's expectation of Cleveland rolling the Steelers this week...uh, every chance I think...the let down is part of the game. They are our arch nemisis and play thier best football against us so I'm not expecting an easy game even though a couple of thier O-Line have been hurt so perhaps that gives Pittsburgh an even chance now. ;)

Re: Steel Passion

ZimZum said:

It's OK ZimZum....as Maxwell Smart would say...'Sorry about that Chief' ... I'm glad you've been a fan since Slash...remember Bubby Brister ??

I agree about the hype...just interesting how the big fella handles the SPOTLIGHT as he truly has everyone paying attention now. Baltimore may regret to have hammered Maddox :D ... the rematch will be interesting in Week 16. Not celebrating yet.... but I'm damned overwelmed with the last two weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back