News & Events Non-Football COVID-19 Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Say you catch covid and are vaccinated and it doesn't do much to you, but then next year you get it again (you have had you're booster shot) but are perhaps a bit more sick from a variant that stronger, then the following year you get a mild case...and so on. What happens after we have had it 10 times. We will be allowing it to come, and allowing us to get it multiple times. Will there be some sort of damage to our bodies that will eventually catch up with us and make really sick.
No. The immune system doesn't work like that. Think of it like memories. For example - imagine yesterday you ate a really tasty looking jelly bean that was flavoured like a piece of dog s**t and you ate it and thought, "this is really gross I am never doing that again". But then next year you see a piece of dog s**t that looks delicious but that smells really similar to that jelly bean, and you take a really big sniff of it and it makes you a little woozy, but you remember that jelly bean flavoured dog s**t that you ate last year, and decide not to eat it because it was nasty. And then the year after that, you come across another similar piece of dog s**t that looks really tasty, but maybe this one is a different consistency, and so you have a little nibble, but then before you can go any further it triggers the memory of that dogshit flavoured jelly bean that you really didn't like, and you remember that it is a bad idea so you run away from that particular strain of dogshit.

its just like that.

The jelly bean is the vaccine, and covid is the dogshit.

Yep, poor old GB has stuffed up. But if NSW loses control of the Delta spread it will have high infections and if Scomo directs more vaccines to NSW, now a national emergency, it has the potential to have high vaccination rates. So, depending on federal managment of NSW - already more sympathetic than to Andrews govt NSW could emerge from this crisis in a better state (higher Tom Hird) than other states who have policed Covid better than NSW.
i agree with most of that, but i think the worst thing that could happen is the pitiful amount of vaccine that the feds have managed to procure goes to NSW and there will be not enough, not enough time to adequate vaccinate enough people (once, let alone twice) and people will get sick and pass on the virus anyway, which will lead to even more vaccine hesitancy.

i agree with most of that, but i think the worst thing that could happen is the pitiful amount of vaccine that the feds have managed to procure goes to NSW and there will be not enough, not enough time to adequate vaccinate enough people (once, let alone twice) and people will get sick and pass on the virus anyway, which will lead to even more vaccine hesitancy.
Yes, that's a distinct possibility too. It's such a mess. Latest news is that NSW isn't getting more vaccines but Pfizer wait to be extended from 3 to 6 weeks in NSW so that more people are 1/2 protected with first dose. AZ being encouraged widely in NSW. So ramping up vaccine but could well be too little, too late (of everything from common sense to vaccines to good governance). Hopefully TGA will approve Moderna soon so it is available in August.

Yes, that's a distinct possibility too. It's such a mess. Latest news is that NSW isn't getting more vaccines but Pfizer wait to be extended from 3 to 6 weeks in NSW so that more people are 1/2 protected with first dose. AZ being encouraged widely in NSW. So ramping up vaccine but could well be too little, too late (of everything from common sense to vaccines to good governance). Hopefully TGA will approve Moderna soon so it is available in August.
1st dose efficacy against delta is 30% (AZ) and 36% (Pfizer) – it's something but you really need second dose for 90%+

Be interesting to see how they go......

“My fellow Sydneysiders can feel very confident that if anyone can get on top of this without shutting the city down it is is the NSW government”
- Scomo 25/6

“The lockdown is the most important factor in arresting the growth”
- Scomo 23/7

“My fellow Sydneysiders can feel very confident that if anyone can get on top of this without shutting the city down it is is the NSW government”
- Scomo 25/6

“The lockdown is the most important factor in arresting the growth”
- Scomo 23/7
“Duuurrrrrhhhh”
- ScoMo, every day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as it doesn’t kick off again, obviously. Still restrictions of some sort.. I guess the 25km travel limit and that stuff, like we had coming out of it last time.

As long as it doesn’t kick off again, obviously. Still restrictions of some sort.. I guess the 25km travel limit and that stuff, like we had coming out of it last time.

I don't mind that they're taking a cautious, albeit slow approach out, but then don't call it a "snap" lockdown at the start, it's disingenuous.

Because now we'll have industries who'll likely have to cop another week (fitness mainly, hospo to a degree). My wife's main job is dance teaching, the last "snap" lockdown cost her over $3k in pay (she did not qualify for relief payments).

I don't mind that they're taking a cautious, albeit slow approach out, but then don't call it a "snap" lockdown at the start, it's disingenuous.

Because now we'll have industries who'll likely have to cop another week (fitness mainly, hospo to a degree). My wife's main job is dance teaching, the last "snap" lockdown cost her over $3k in pay (she did not qualify for relief payments).
I think we tend to wait too long for a "snap" 2 or 5 day lockdown in Vic. When the other states do a snap lockdown, it's like 2 cases. Then it gets worse before it gets better, it might get a day of 7 and then it comes down and they're good to go, maybe a few capacity caps and that's kinda it.

We seem to try and strike a happy medium between trying not to go into lockdown and not waiting too long to * it up completely. So we wait 3 days longer than SA or WA would have, we get 10-15 and then call a lockdown. It gets worse before it gets better, and inevitably takes 2-3 times longer than the 5 days. Then we rush out of 'lockdown' and do a half-lockdown with the roadmap thing, 25km limits or whatever.

Seems to be a 'try to please everyone, but end up pleasing no one' type of situation. Need to just go for it.

I think we tend to wait too long for a "snap" 2 or 5 day lockdown in Vic. When the other states do a snap lockdown, it's like 2 cases. Then it gets worse before it gets better, it might get a day of 7 and then it comes down and they're good to go, maybe a few capacity caps and that's kinda it.

We seem to try and strike a happy medium between trying not to go into lockdown and not waiting too long to fu** it up completely. So we wait 3 days longer than SA or WA would have, we get 10-15 and then call a lockdown. It gets worse before it gets better, and inevitably takes 2-3 times longer than the 5 days. Then we rush out of 'lockdown' and do a half-lockdown with the roadmap thing, 25km limits or whatever.

Seems to be a 'try to please everyone, but end up pleasing no one' type of situation. Need to just go for it.

It must be bloody hard to strike a medium. Look at NSW, I can't knock them for trying. I wonder if the smaller population of SA or WA has a smaller number of cases to trigger a lockdown.

Regardless of this was 5 days or 2 weeks, this lockdown (Vic) has felt the darkest of all. It seems to be the straw that's broken the camels back in terms of private sector, small business and mental health. I'm hearing of more businesses going under this week than I have all pandemic, and so many of my friends feeling bleak and hopeless. Personally I'm sick of Dan's sledgehammer. Actually just sick of Dan period.

It must be bloody hard to strike a medium. Look at NSW, I can't knock them for trying. I wonder if the smaller population of SA or WA has a smaller number of cases to trigger a lockdown.

Regardless of this was 5 days or 2 weeks, this lockdown (Vic) has felt the darkest of all. It seems to be the straw that's broken the camels back in terms of private sector, small business and mental health. I'm hearing of more businesses going under this week than I have all pandemic, and so many of my friends feeling bleak and hopeless. Personally I'm sick of Dan's sledgehammer. Actually just sick of Dan period.
Lockdown is hard, but the alternative is much worse. There should be more support for SB, arts, 'non-essential' so that lockdown is survivable for everyone. I think the hunger games analogy is pretty spot on 😔 Canberra feasts and the rest of us attack each other for scraps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back