News & Events Non-Football COVID-19 Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Say you catch covid and are vaccinated and it doesn't do much to you, but then next year you get it again (you have had you're booster shot) but are perhaps a bit more sick from a variant that stronger, then the following year you get a mild case...and so on. What happens after we have had it 10 times. We will be allowing it to come, and allowing us to get it multiple times. Will there be some sort of damage to our bodies that will eventually catch up with us and make really sick.
No. The immune system doesn't work like that. Think of it like memories. For example - imagine yesterday you ate a really tasty looking jelly bean that was flavoured like a piece of dog s**t and you ate it and thought, "this is really gross I am never doing that again". But then next year you see a piece of dog s**t that looks delicious but that smells really similar to that jelly bean, and you take a really big sniff of it and it makes you a little woozy, but you remember that jelly bean flavoured dog s**t that you ate last year, and decide not to eat it because it was nasty. And then the year after that, you come across another similar piece of dog s**t that looks really tasty, but maybe this one is a different consistency, and so you have a little nibble, but then before you can go any further it triggers the memory of that dogshit flavoured jelly bean that you really didn't like, and you remember that it is a bad idea so you run away from that particular strain of dogshit.

its just like that.

The jelly bean is the vaccine, and covid is the dogshit.

Good job mate. Might as well keep the July 4 booking for your second dose as that's just over three weeks away.
Annoyingly they had to cancel my original booking for me to be allowed to get it today so need to book again (or just walk up in 3 weeks), just another tick for this whole rollout.

Don't see how the media is to blame. The details were released by the government (and the exposure sites had to be released) and the media reported on that. If NSW and QLD media refused to report on it that would also be very bad. Thankfully QLD and NSW government officials didn't repeat some mistakes we've seen before in Australia and no-one made claims that rules were broken, and no names have been released by media or government.

Sutton could take notes on how this was handled, as just in the past fortnight we've had the very bad examples of him talking about 'fleeting' exposure and him openly pondering if a Victorian got a case while in NSW, which of course turned out to be a Victorian issue

So there's talk the husband had a job up there. But the media never go too early......
Yeah so they were moving house which isn't a breach of lockdown. How are they supposed to stay at home if they don't have a home 🙄

They seem to have left Melton at around 5.30am on the 1st of June, got into Narrandera at 10.30am (unless they were speeding, could've left Melton a bit later). Got fuel in Narrandera and then drove on to Forbes (3h drive) by 6pm the same day... so touring around a bit I guess, or maybe got some lunch in Narrandera but the exposure site isn't listed?

Breakfast in Forbes on the 2nd, completed a 2h drive to check into their accomodation in Dubbo in the space of half an hour apparently. 🤔 Then lunch at a cafe in Dubbo, the cinema in the evening, stayed in Dubbo that night.

Left their accomodation in Dubbo at 10am on the 3rd, and were in Moree by 1.45pm where they checked into that accomodation then got lunch at a cafe and visited the supermarket. The 3rd is the day she started to get symptoms.

On the 4th they were around their accomodation in Moree most of the day, went to the same cafe again twice for breakfast and again for lunch (seemingly) then a tavern for dinner. They seem to spend several hours everywhere they go to eat, though maybe the window for exposure is extended to a period of time after they've left...

The last exposure site is their accomodation in Moree at 7.30am on the 5th, presumably they arrived in Queensland at some point after and are now staying in Caloundra.

____

Their serology testing shows that the man had already had the infection and the woman was near the end of hers, so their infectious period goes back before the 1st. They would've been locked down from the 28th of May until they left on the 1st, but they were probably infectious before that.

In any case they don't seem to have given it to anyone in Victoria since the 28th, unless they bought fuel the night before or that morning and we don't know about it?

If there’s a problem with them entering NSW then that’s more about NSW’s border checks than anything to do with Vic.

Don't see how the media is to blame. The details were released by the government (and the exposure sites had to be released) and the media reported on that. If NSW and QLD media refused to report on it that would also be very bad. Thankfully QLD and NSW government officials didn't repeat some mistakes we've seen before in Australia and no-one made claims that rules were broken, and no names have been released by media or government.

Sutton could take notes on how this was handled, as just in the past fortnight we've had the very bad examples of him talking about 'fleeting' exposure and him openly pondering if a Victorian got a case while in NSW, which of course turned out to be a Victorian issue
They were reporting that there was a breach of lockdown in Victoria. Which isn't the case...

I can't speak for the Victorian media, but the media I saw in NSW reported the Government's words that a breach may have occurred and that an investigation would be carried out by QLD. Entirely reasonable steps.

Now, I saw plenty of the covidzero nutters (including health people) on social media panicking and assuming these people had done something bad, and its not lost on me that some of these people can be talking heads for various media outlets, but the dry reporting of Government press conference and press releases was entirely fine.

I can't speak for the Victorian media, but the media I saw in NSW reported the Government's words that a breach may have occurred and that an investigation would be carried out by QLD. Entirely reasonable steps.

Now, I saw plenty of the covidzero nutters (including health people) on social media panicking and assuming these people had done something bad, and its not lost on me that some of these people can be talking heads for various media outlets, but the dry reporting of Government press conference and press releases was entirely fine.
I think I saw it on the ABC blog as well, but here's channel 9;

Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 13.54.06 1.png Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 13.54.02.png Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 13.53.47.png

One thing that will stay with me was something I saw very early on.....maybe when people started using those face shields early on (around March 2020). I was walking into our local supermarket through the one way entrance...and I looked across and a very old frail lady was leaving the exit door, and she had a white plastic shopping bag over her head with a couple of holes cut out. I couldn't believe what I saw...a lady that had probably lived in the area for 60 years resorting to that to try and get some food and probably toilet paper. Was pretty confronting tbh.

Last edited:
Remember the unsettling atmosphere early March last year when people were going nuts with the panic buying?

You'd be just doing your normal shop but it felt like there were a few people who were really making a point of studying the contents of your trolley as they passed you, almost checking up on you to check if you were another one of the mindless preppers who were buying 39 packets of pasta at a time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney to Melbourne: "watch this. no lockdown. awesome huh"

the more concerning thing is the feds very weird AZ move
What weird AZ move? Do you mean raising the age for Pfizer to 60?

I'm guessing it's coz no one wants AZ, and they've promised to give 20m doses (of unknown substance?) to poor countries or something and most of us will have Pfizer or wait for Moderna and whatever else they've ordered.

I've resigned to the fact that I won't be eligible for a vaccine for a good long while, unless I move interstate apparently.

to paraphrase someone I follow, the observed risks of AZ have lowered, yet we're moving to an even tougher policy, and all but smashed confidence in the vaccine rollout. it's weird. they didn't have to do it. if there's a political angle, it's probably coz the feds are worried that the boomers will make them pay at the voting booth if they have to get AZ.

We're gonna move into 2022 being the only country in the world that both blocks people leaving the country without government permission and sets a cap limit on how many citizens and permanent residents can return to their home. it's a disgusting arrangement now and it's disgusting that there's no rush whatsoever to change that.

Last edited:
to paraphrase someone I follow, the observed risks of AZ have lowered, yet we've moving to an even tougher policy, and all but smashed confidence in the vaccine rollout. it's weird. they didn't have to do it. if there's a political angle, it's probably coz the feds are worried that the boomers will make them pay at the voting booth if they have to get AZ.

We're gonna move into 2022 being the only country in the world that both blocks people leaving the country without government permission and sets a cap limit on how many citizens and permanent residents can return to their home. it's a disgusting arranamgent now and it's disgusting that there's no rush whatsoever to change that.
From what I was looking at the other day, the risk of the clot is fairly similar between 40-49s and 50-59s. Negligible, but similar. The risk of COVID complications however is much higher in the 50-59s than the 40-49s, enough that the risk-benefit analysis is in favour of giving AZ to 50-59s but against giving AZ to 40-49s (depending on availability of alternatives, etc).

In Australia, the overall risk of getting COVID in the first place is really quite low though since we're allegedly a covid-free country (so long as borders are closed), so the likelihood of getting bad COVID for a 50-59 year old isn't that much higher than a 40-49 year old. The main factor then in deciding who gets what has to be the risk of getting the clot, and the availability of alternatives.

Given the risk is very, very similar, and given that we have enough AZ to give the entire 40-59 cohort, it would make sense here to either lower the age to 40 and take the risk (if the benefit is deemed worthwhile), or raise it to 60 and play it safe (if the benefit of vaccinating asap with the corresponding risk is not considered worthwhile).

The line drawn at the age of 50 therefore seems arbitrary/lazy/copying other countries (who have different risks and different alternatives), and/or a callous disregard for the lives of older people, instead of doing our own risk-benefit analysis suited to our own circumstances. Or at least, it's not difficult to form that conclusion, even if you don't find it personally convincing.

It's one thing to say that the borders should be opened and we should take the risk to get it to happen quicker, but it's not quite the same thing if you're the one being asked to play Russian Roulette so that other people can go on overseas holidays. So yes, I would say that the government's decision to raise the age to 60 is a self-serving one, especially if you're better known for empathy training than actually showing empathy.

The feds messaging has been tripe.

It's an easy sell, we are going to play it ultra cautious, but that means locked borders, no travel and everyone waiting a little bit.

In the meantime, we can ship all our surplus AZ to PNG / Pacific / Indonesia. Places that's actually need it RIGHT NOW.

Now I've got no doubt this is a purely self interested play to keep the electorate wary and try and play "we are keeping you safe" card in an October election. They have seen the huge wins WA / Qld have got playing the same card

The feds messaging has been tripe.

It's an easy sell, we are going to play it ultra cautious, but that means locked borders, no travel and everyone waiting a little bit.

In the meantime, we can ship all our surplus AZ to PNG / Pacific / Indonesia. Places that's actually need it RIGHT NOW.

Now I've got no doubt this is a purely self interested play to keep the electorate wary and try and play "we are keeping you safe" card in an October election. They have seen the huge wins WA / Qld have got playing the same card
The more other countries open up and show that you can be both safe and not a hermit, the more the pressure will rise though.

Especially if we end up with NT and WA fully vaccinated, politicians taking holidays and plebs able to travel internationally while NSW and Vic residents aren’t allowed to leave the state without a heap of quarantine.

We haven't been lucky, and this now lockdown is very silly (and also: that'll show me)

I'm not sure where this lockdown ranks in the stupidity ranks, I guess not as stupid as the pointless 3 day ones, but it's origin story is right up there: a 65yo limo driver was spooked into not getting the AZ jab by the covidzero nutters, and set the chain of events (but yeah, we've been lucky...)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back