Opinion North Board-Media & Entertainment

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else watching the octopus murders? I’ve watched the first episode and half way through the second, it’s very interesting, especially for anyone that is into conspiracy stuff.

Nugan Hand Bank coudda done with some more investigation from an Aus.perspective. Remember when that exploded back in the day.

This is very similar to the Son of Sam murder series on there too. Journo goes down the rabbit-hole.

Last edited:
I just watched the first two episodes of Shogun on Disney plus.

Well worth a watch, set circa 1600 in Japan.

Its quite novel to finally watch a show where the barbaric white dudes encounter a country more beautiful and a culture more civilised than anything they've ever experienced before.

I'm a bit of a history buff, but this show makes me realise how big my blind spot is around the experience of Asians when the Christian missionaries arrived way back when.
Japan is particularly interesting given how previously insular it was with its Asian neighbours for long periods. With notable exceptions of course, like the Mongols and religion.

Not historical, but blue-eyes samurai on Netflix has a similar theme in an animated medium. Very good show.

Anyone watching Masters of the Air?

Not sure what to think of it. Visually, it is stunning and it mostly matches the theme it is going for, but some of the acting, writing and historical elements feel a bit off. I felt the same about the Pacific. I feel this is most apparent with the way they treat serious issues in an adult way.

Band of brothers treated the enemy as humans similar struggling to survive like the protagonists, and were able to show this despite the previous episode showing the raw effects of the holocaust. They showed allied executions of prisoners and treated the enemy as the threat they were. It was nuanced, grey and really well written. The pacific and masters of the air treat the enemies in an almost stereotypical manner and only touch on important themes for shock value.

Anyway, keen to get poster views on any of those three shows.

As always, I highly recommend the Dan Carlin hardcore history podcast.

Japan is particularly interesting given how previously insular it was with its Asian neighbours for long periods. With notable exceptions of course, like the Mongols and religion.

Not historical, but blue-eyes samurai on Netflix has a similar theme in an animated medium. Very good show.

Only country to defeat the mongols yeah?

Only country to defeat the mongols yeah?
Many kingdom’s and factions did defeat ‘them” depending on the period/iteration, ie Golden Horde, Kubai Khan, Mongol-Turkic Timurid kingdom, etc.

Egyptian Mamluk slave soldiers defeated a sizeable Mongolian force in 1260 and again in 1303, the kingdom of Hungary were able to beat them in 1285/86 and Japan twice in 1274 and 1281. Not to mention Vietnam and the Javanese.

Last edited:
Many kingdom’s and factions did defeat ‘them” depending on the period/iteration, ie Golden Horde, Kubai Khan, Mongol-Turkic Timurid kingdom, etc.

Egyptian Mamluk slave soldiers defeated a sizeable Mongolian force in 1260 and again in 1303, the kingdom of Hungary were able to beat them in 1285/86 and Japan twice in 1274 and 1281. Not to mention Vietnam and the Javanese.

As soon as I wrote that I realised that of course others defeated them otherwise they’d still be in power. What’s that saying, something about going up the stairs barefoot and descending in golden slippers?

Looking forward to this a lot. I think it's going to be an incredible watch.
What a story. Disgusting to think how some people will treat others in the name of entertainment.

Anyone else watching the octopus murders? I’ve watched the first episode and half way through the second, it’s very interesting, especially for anyone that is into conspiracy stuff.
Almost finished this. 1 episode to go. Excellent so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back