2nds Northern Blues 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Check the Dogs game for a good example of that. Is lean and holding up well.

If Casboult is a 5/10, Goddard is 3.

I'm talking about that specific passage of play. Levi would have been left lagging behind too. You can't fault a KPD for not being able to chase down a small.

Goddard does so many good things in the VFL, why single out the odd instance where he gets caught out? Surely got to call it objectively Jim.

Seems like TDK has one most of the ruck taps he has done today imo. Does anyone knows the stats for this? Might be just seeing what I want to see...

so hows deluca been going?

Been an almost game. Seems to know where to go and has some poise when he gets the ball. Has had Scott Selwood wearing him like a glove at the stoppages so that's an indication that the Cats must rate him.

Has decent hands and is a bit of a tank size wise. I think he'll be pretty decent.

I'm talking about that specific passage of play. Levi would have been left lagging behind too. You can't fault a KPD for not being able to chase down a small.

Goddard does so many good things in the VFL, why single out the odd instance where he gets caught out? Surely got to call it objectively Jim.
I am being objective: Goddard lacks a fundamental AFL trait, and seemingly has no propensity to develop and refine that critical trait.

He is highly effective at this level because, for the moment, he doesn't need that critical trait. If he had Levi's pace, he'd have a dozen clubs on the phone calling SOS about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am being objective: Goddard lacks a fundamental AFL trait, and seemingly has no propensity to develop and refine that critical trait.

Which trait? You said he was trailing his opponent, yet most times he is in front and attacking the ball. I guess the other trait you speak of is pace but he looks reasonably quick for his size for mine.

I guess every single player out there today lacks a fundamental trait, given Goddard is continually in our bests.

Been an almost game. Seems to know where to go and has some poise when he gets the ball. Has had Scott Selwood wearing him like a glove at the stoppages so that's an indication that the Cats must rate him.

Has decent hands and is a bit of a tank size wise. I think he'll be pretty decent.
thanks for this...he does look solid...hopefully with a bit more fitness and match practice he will become a decent acquisition...

Which trait? You said he was trailing his opponent, yet most times he is in front and attacking the ball. I guess the other trait you speak of is pace but he looks reasonably quick for his size for mine.

I guess every single player out there today lacks a fundamental trait, given Goddard is continually in our bests.
Fair enough... I'll just get on the phone and see if we can get Graham and Ellard signed up for the pre-season.

The VFL is for 'almost' players. When they step past that, it's instantly recognisable because they just cruise around the field controlling the game.

Stepping beyond that requires a baseline of athletic performance for a given position, so that they can cover a variety of tasks through an AFL match. Goddard has strength, his aerial read, and a powerful (but not inherently precise) kick. He'd be relying on upfield pressure and getting a crack at the high ball coming in.

This is where moneyball-type thinking can fail in the AFL: you need to think more dynamically about other facets of the game, and generate statistical models that highlight this better. It's an issue in soccer right now as well.

At least I'm assuming you want the club to build a list that wins the flag moreso than one that makes the top 4 consistently.

Last edited:
Fair enough... I'll just get on the phone and get Graham and Ellard signed up for the pre-season.

Come on Jimmae, that looks suspiciously like pouting. Opinions are free but also open to challenge.

So which trait specifically are you worried about? Closing speed on long leads? Ability to turn and chase runners?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back