Not one player drafted from Central Districts

Remove this Banner Ad

I took this from the September Bulldog Bulletin after the Central U15s won the State Championship. Prob the important point is as mentioned players playing above their age group. Sorry about the length.

THE 2008 Under 15 State Championships
were held from the 14th – 18th July with
some of our club’s finest young talent having
an opportunity to show their skills.
Our U15 Country side, coached by
Matt Gallerello, missed out on the finals
by percentage only but played very well
throughout the week.
Playing four games in five days
(including one game with their local Club)
which took its toll but the boys still managed
to win two of the three games played.
The U15 Metropolitan side, coached
by John De Meo, also won two of the three
games played and scraped through into the
finals.
The first final against Glenelg at
Thebarton was a success for the boys and
booked themselves a place in the Grand
Final against Norwood at AAMI Stadium
as a curtain raiser to the Port Adelaide v
Fremantle game.
The boys again put in a brilliant
effort, winning the game by 10 points and
taking out the title.
The Club was particularly proud of
the way the players from both teams conducted
themselves throughout the Championships.
A number of the U15 players have
already played U17 football at our Club
which will be great for their development.
Keep an eye out for Steve Rusca
(Angaston), Corey Coad (Eastern Park),
Joshua Waldhuter (Willaston), Cooper Stoll
(Willaston) and Scott Galbraith (Salisbury
North). These are just some of the names
that may well have a big future at our football
club.
Fourteen U15 players have represented
the Club at Under 17 level this year,
with 13 U17’s also having played U19’s in
2008 which makes our Club the youngest
underage list of any of the SANFL Clubs.
The results seen in 2008 in the
U17’s and U19’s may not seem flattering.
However, with the young players
getting an opportunity at higher levels and
the success of the U15 Championships and
the Robert Zerella Football Development
Academy, the future of our Club looks very
encouraging.

You just don't get it. Everything you said when you started the thread is incorrect.

Larry the Liar :
"Anyhow, I mentioned in that thread at the time that according to my West Adelaide supporting brother, the reason why Centrals continued to dominate was because it stacked its side with AFL rejects whereas the other SANFL clubs took the time to develop[ future stars which eventually get drafted at the national draft. Of course, some CD fans tried to refute this comment."

Firstly if you re read through the whole postings you will see that contrary to what you thought Centrals is not full and never has been full of AFL rejects. If you want to take that view look at Port. I have previously given you the Port Magopies website address which you can visit to see where there current squad originates. I'm sure you can't think back over previous years.

I'd like you to show me where Central haven't developed players over the last 10 years. Perhaps visit their website to see how much local talent there is. I'd like you to provide me with the number of draftees since 2000 from each club to support your incorrect assumptions. I guess you can't argue with the point that post 2000 Port have provided 50% less draftees than Centrals. You choose to continually ignore the facts, instead making moronic incorrect statements.

I can now see you changing your tune. Okay you were wrong, but it's not a competition worth winning now you're trying to infer.

I'm sure Centrals train young players and if they think they may be drafted to the AFL they get rid of them. What a ridiculous theory you're trying to create.

You're a moron, contradicting yourself with every posting. If the players aren't crap they get drafted don't they ? As the SANFL is just a feeder competition according to you (backed up with no real facts).

You fool, you can have your AFL premiership. I'll have the 7 SANFL flags thanks. Stuff the AFL!

Geez you are stupid. The SANFL is not the competition it was. Can you get that through your thick-as-two-planks skull. It is painfully obvious to everyone except you mongrels in feral land that the competition is a shadow of its former self. The days of SANFL clubs nurturing players so those players could give them 10 years of service are over. The days of watching a competition which could almost rival the VFL are finished. The competition was brought to its knees once the Crows were formed. Once Port joined the AFL, it pretty much died. Just take a look at the stats. Small attendances, including the grand final and no names by comparison running around. Have you seen 'Other Peoples Money'? In that movie, Larry the Liquidator is addressing the company's shareholders. And he makes the point that the quickest way to fall over is to keep getting an increasing share of a shrinking market. The SANFL has shrunk, yet the CD's market power in the SANFL has grown. You have dominated a competition which is barely surviving. And how have you done that...let me tell you...by recruiting rejects from the AFL and spending bugger all on producing quality players...it was noted abover that the young talent which has come out of CD has been below par. You have also benefitted from other clubs such as West Adelaide, Glenelg and WWT being raped at the draft while you rejects are free to win another premiership. And what really shits me is that you and the rest of you ferals from Elizabeth think CD should be given credit...okay, I'll give you what you want...CD, all credit to you for dominating a competition which died in the ass a decade ago. Does that make you happy scumbag?

Isn't it funny...the 7 premierships you have won were all won after Port joined the AFL. Bravo, you came into your own once the horse bolted.

Do you remember 1994 and 1995 moron???

Oh poor Larry. Now I must apologise for calling you a moron, I'm now beginning to pity you, plus it's an insult to all morons. Please get someone to read all the posts back to you and help explain what they mean.
Please point out where I said the competition hasn't changed. Now you're making more things up, but that's being very true to your previous form.
I can picture you though as a "Larry the Liquidator", a Danny DeVito with small man syndrome, not just Larry the knob jockey. SANFL attendances actually grew this year, but lets continue to ignore the facts that keep embarrasing you.
I think your right though as the competition isn't what it once was, you should probably stop watching it (if you still do), continue watching old videos of past glory and don't bother posting ridiculous misinformation. Although it is good to think you may be indicative of the average Port supporter, (apologise to all normal Port supporters). Although I must confess I have plenty of friends who are Port supporters (courtesy of growing up in the Western suburbs) and they wouldn't support your ramblings. Though they do have young kids which may struggle with logic as you do.
You said "by recruiting rejects from the AFL and spending bugger all on producing quality players..." How dumb can one person be.
"ferals from Elizabeth think CD should be given credit". I live at West Lakes not that, that's relevant.
No, I dont need "your credit" or approval. Central don't need the approval of a jealous little emabarrasment to other Port SANFL supporters and the human race.
"Isn't it funny...the 7 premierships you have won were all won after Port joined the AFL" -Bloody hilarious, brings a smile to my face everytime I think about it over the last nine years. Yes I remember 1994/1995 in answer to your question.
Again, I apologise. When you first posted I thought you may be able to back up what you write with some facts. I thought it might be a good debate. I must admit I didn't realise you truly are a mental midget. Sorry.

"all credit to you for dominating a competition which died in the ass a decade ago. Does that make you happy scumbag? "

Sorry also Larry, I can give you no credit for not being competitive in a lesser competition than the AFL. For being second rate in what you deem is a second rate competition.

Despite what you think, you may be surprised to know, many people still enjoy the SANFL, and many people would be surprised that you know anything.

The SANFL is getting stronger.

However I think it is stupid that the SANFL has adopted this crowd maximisation policy. The draw is not fair what so ever.

I must confess I only recently joined the site, to respond to Larrys' idiotic thread. Only now have I looked back through his past postings, and some of the past threads.
This was all new to me. I didn't realise Larry was regurgitating the same crap he'd written before. Almost word for word on occasions. He'd had an education lesson previously by other site members. He did confess moving to Melbourne in 2000 so probably wouldn't see much SANFL.
Most of the content in this thread had been addressed before. I think Larry must have the memory of a goldfish.
I guess he'll start a similiar thread in about two months time. To be so jealous must be hard to handle. As someone quoted before I think this thread is fraying, and most of you have read it all before.

The premieship teams from 1985 to 1990 would have beaten the last 5 premiers by at least 10 goals.

I disagree Ebert80. The guys form 1985 --1990 would be a bit old by now, I reckon.:)

As long as the Premiers from 2008 can beat all the teams in 2009, that's all I care about.

A few months ago, in a thread which has since been deleted, the current Central Districts' place in SANFL history was being debated. There were some silly enough to suggest that the Centrals of the past 10 years could be mentioned in the same breath as some of the great Port sides of the past. It was a stupid argument and only endured because some are too stubborn to want to admit when they are wrong.

Anyhow, I mentioned in that thread at the time that according to my West Adelaide supporting brother, the reason why Centrals continued to dominate was because it stacked its side with AFL rejects whereas the other SANFL clubs took the time to develop[ future stars which eventually get drafted at the national draft. Of course, some CD fans tried to refute this comment.

Did anyone bother to do a quick mental count of the clubs which lost out most in Saturday's draft? I did.

It appears WWT clearly is the big loser, followed by West Adelaide and then North Adelaide. CD, the two-time defending champions, did not have one player drafted. Not one. Have my brother's words ever rung more true than now. Now I know that Port did not have a player of its drafted either. But Port are not the current powerhouse side of the SANFL. Remember, this is a side which, according to a few Centrals fans, could give the Port sides of the early 80s, the late 80s and mid 90s a run for its money. These Port sides would lose a handful of players to the AFL every year. Yet with Centrals, not one player drafted this year. Those upcoming teams which would have challenged Centrals for the title have now been decimated at the draft, leaving the AFL reject stacked Centrals to run out next year pretty much unchallenged.

What a sad state the SANFL is in.
centrals dominate because of the pokies introduction. It all comes down to money. Its the same reason port dominated, money.

At a youth level centrals have been successful developing some players that probably wouldnt have been recognised at other clubs.

centrals dominate because of the pokies introduction. It all comes down to money. Its the same reason port dominated, money.

I'm not so sure about that. How often did Port go into a grand final, and it was said that the opposition on paper was a 5 goal better side! Happened very frequently. I think Port's dominance, at least in the late 80's was due to smart coaching, and a brilliant defence, particularly half back line. Having goalkickers such as Evans (in the early 80's) and Hodges (late 80's), certainly helped too, but neither were huge recruits as far as money was concerned, and Ebert the club's greatest player was picked up as a player just out of juniors, thats clever recruiting, not piling up through using the cheque book. Sure the club recruited players of quality, but i wouldn't say it got any more big name expensive players than Glenelg, Norwood, North, or basically any of the other clubs.

So, I really can't see how you can say it was a matter of money.

Money would help. But it's not all about money, it's one vital ingredient in the mix. If it were all about money Central would have recruited more than 3 "afl rejects" (that weren't from Central). Although you're right in many instances. Glenelg getting Todd Grima was about money, and the fact Glenelg were able to offer him a "better package". It no doubt helped them get to the GF as he was the recruit of the season (I think). But it didn't get them over the line.
Not sure how much money Sturt had in 2002, or if the amount of money WWT had in 2006 has varied much.
I think it's more about the right mix of recruits with local product.
I think as Ebert80 states inthe end Port had experienced final players, that had played for the club for a while and could "gel" as a team.
Being able to have good facilities, coaching, sponsorship most definitely adds to the clubs stability and probably takes the stress off the player base.
But at the risk of using an AFL example, how successful has Collingwood been versus North Melbourne over the last 20 years ?
It can't hurt, but it's not all about money, it's also how you manage it and what you buy with it.

You're not telling me the reason you won so many flags was smart coaching?

I dont care/know how you got most of your players but the reason you kept them and recruited good ones is money. If it was down to smart coaching or some 'secret formula', that success would translate to the AFL. Instead its the opposite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah you need to have the organisation/competence to make use of that advantge i'd agree with that sjt1, but then it comes down to money. Collingwood's always been reasonably well supported but hasnt really been a 'rich' club until lately when they've consolidated their support and now they're a superpower. Of course its harder with money in the AFL with how strictly the salary cap is enforced and other restrictions like the draft.

No, I'm not telling you it was just smart coaching. There's many parts to a Premiership. Collingwood actually lost 1.5mil this year.
I am saying, to put Premierships down to just Pokies is a falsehood.

No, I'm not telling you it was just smart coaching. There's many parts to a Premiership. Collingwood actually lost 1.5mil this year.

I would agree there. There's a salary cap now so clubs can't go out and massively overspend. With CD i think its a matter of stability and very clever recruiting, and all credit to them.

To say Port won those flags in the 80's and in other periods, essentially because of money is just silly.

well considering i wasnt born until 1987 i'm not going to pretend to be a expert on the 80's, but considering the success of the SANFL cant be translated into AFL there are only two possible reasons, money and the draft (recruiting).

So either centrals and port have really good recruiting networks or they use their money well. I'm banking on the latter cause if even if you recruited well you would lose your players to clubs who can pay more.

they wrote off some pokies venues or something didnt they? So not really a loss.

From 2005

posted on 15-4-2005 at 03:59 PM The Foreign Legion - The interstate SANFL recruits

The Foreign Legion

Once they were villains, now they're the characters bringing thousands of fans through suburban turnstiles.

From Central District's much-maligned Gowans twins to Glenelg golden boy Brett Backwell or Sturt's nuggety Ben Colreavy, super talented interstate recruits have kept the SANFL Australia's best state league.

Since 2000, 223 interstate players have come to the SANFL from all states and territories and most have made a huge impact.

Several became club captains, 30 interstaters have played state footy for SA and 20 have won premierships with Central (2000-01-03-04) or Sturt (2002).

Three Victorians – Ryan O'Connor, Tony Brown (Magpies) and Jade Sheedy (Sturt) – claimed the Magarey Medal in another mark of their impact. Bringing stars to Adelaide is not new but the high numbers here now is. About 100 imports are among the 450 registered players at the nine clubs this year.

Quality football with a touch of tribal devotion has made James Gowans and his brother Chris idols at Elizabeth but hated elsewhere.

Eagles' ruckman Paul Lindsay ruffles opposition supporters and Sturt's flame-haired Luke Jarjoura has a swagger that will get under the skin of every non-Blues fan. It's inevitable.

Even Norwood's flamboyant coach Dale Lewis is not everybody's idea of humility but they all add the spice which keeps the SANFL vibrant while other state leagues wane. The SANFL state team has been beaten once since 1996.

"I expected to be here for 12 months but when you get here you fall in love with the place," said James Gowans, who initially hoped to rejoin St. Kilda. "The standard keeps us here and the big thing the SANFL has is passionate supporters. It's pretty good playing a grand final with 30,000 people there, you don't get that anywhere else (state league)."

Central, which has eight interstaters on its list and has won four premierships on the back of talented imports, now wants a rule to restrict interstate recruits. A good idea, Gowans said.

"If you only get five blokes over you'll have to go for decent character blokes so that'll keep the standard high," he said.

Central has set the standard in keeping imports, most staying for five years or more. Norwood has also done well since an import surge in 1997. Robbie Neill and assistant coach Scott Direen, who came the next year, are still active at The Parade and 1997 premiership stars John Cunningham and Anthony Harvey, both Vics, have married and live in SA.

Central's general manager Kris Grant said the knack to longevity was looking behind the football talents

"Character comes before everything," he said.

"We also explain the culture of the SANFL. You've got to get a feel they're prepared to embrace all that."

I must confess I only recently joined the site, to respond to Larrys' idiotic thread. Only now have I looked back through his past postings, and some of the past threads.
This was all new to me. I didn't realise Larry was regurgitating the same crap he'd written before. Almost word for word on occasions. He'd had an education lesson previously by other site members. He did confess moving to Melbourne in 2000 so probably wouldn't see much SANFL.
Most of the content in this thread had been addressed before. I think Larry must have the memory of a goldfish.
I guess he'll start a similiar thread in about two months time. To be so jealous must be hard to handle. As someone quoted before I think this thread is fraying, and most of you have read it all before.

You must be a queer.

You joined this website to respond to me, you sit there rambling on about me, you look at my previous posts and you have conducted research on me.

Listen to me you punk, just because you jerk off to the thought of my touch, doesn't mean I have to know about it okay. Keep it real, stick to the topic which does not involve me.

You embarrass yourself more and more with every post. To call you a mental midget was giving you too much credit.
The fact is you have no credibility as is proven by your recent and previous posts. Sure, you're entitled to your opinion or make a comment, the fact that you're repeatedly wrong makes you a laughing stock and a fool.

Perhaps you should have done some research before starting the thread and posting so much unsustantiable crap. In your case, "better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt".

Anyhow, I mentioned in that thread at the time that according to my West Adelaide supporting brother, the reason why Centrals continued to dominate was because it stacked its side with AFL rejects whereas the other SANFL clubs took the time to develop[ future stars which eventually get drafted at the national draft. Of course, some CD fans tried to refute this comment.

Okay Larry back on track. Who has the credibility ?

Port ex afl recruits, (can't be stuffed looking back at 2005/04, 06 onwards is enough)
Port ex AFL
06 Baird
Bullen
Davis
Alvey
Morrison
07 LeCras
Hargraves
Perry
Perkins
08 Thurgood

(10 at least)
Central

None

Players Drafted

Port
03 Miller
05 Hutchison
06 Thomas
07 Ebert Greenwood
Walsh
(6 Total)
Central

03 Butler
Nash
Sansbury
Symes
04 Thomas
Ware
Pfitzner
05 Hurn
Varcoe
Obst
Giles
06 Westhoff
07 Westhoff
Moss
Grima

(15)

I don't disagree with this King Elvis. If this is the strategy then it's obviously working well. What I disagree with is the gist of the original post. What I disagree with is the incorrectness of every component of it. If you wanted to take Larry the Ignorants view. Then Port should be a Powerhouse as they've contributed 50% less players to the draft than Central since 2000 and they've had significantly more ex afl recruits than Central over the period of Central success.
Have Port had more than 3 ex afl recruits since 2000? It would be interesting to see the FACTS instead of constantly coming up with non factual statements presented as fact. I think Larrys' opening thread is an embarrasment to him, now it's been proven so far off the mark, or maybe it's his brothers fault.

Your point about 3 ex-AFL recruits is probably a void one. Whether a player isnt originally from the club or not, an ex-AFL recruit is still an ex-AFL recruit.

Overall, the AFL listed players that have played in Premierships for Centrals are:
Gowansx2, Healy, Steinberner, Schell, Arnott, Hay, Ware, Guerra, Thomas, Geister, Stevensx2, Switala, Cochrane, McCabe, Hayes, Giles, Westhoff, Griffin, Dew, Moss, McKinnon, Williams, & Symes. There are many others who havent played in flags as well (Shaw, Faulkner for example) Whist Centrals have recruited a lot of significant and smart footballers from state & country leagues (Hopwood, Callinan, O'Sullivan, Bello etc), theyve been very very well served by returnees and SA AFL listed players. Theyve had (with no statistical evidence on my part) probably more returnees than any other club. So all in all its folly to say that Centrals have 3 ex-AFL players, a returnee is still a recruit. Getting back or keeping ex-AFL guys like Thomas, Hay, McCabe, Healy has been vital to Centrals success.

macca's post above sums it up beautifully re my point about money. This myth that theres something magical that sides do to get sustained success is just that, a myth!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back