NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Narre North still don't have one. Ditto Narre South.

St. Francis Xavier is now the Narre South Saints in the SFL, so between them and Berwick Springs things are happening. Getting new senior clubs in the area seems to be a very slow process compared to other new growth areas of Melbourne.

Just think, 20 years from now there will probably be talk about a separate South Eastern league with Narre, Beacy, Berwick, Cranbourne, Pakenham, Hampton Park, Doveton and all these new clubs that spring up between now and then. ;)

The other compliaction here is that this years under 15A division had 6 teams in it.

Mitcham were undefeated and the clear stand out. Lysterfield were the 2nd best team and are very good. Vermont and North Ringood are 3 & 4 with Norwood 5.
Blackburn are 6 and a good team but can't really compete with any of the top 4 and are a bit closer to Norwood.

I can assure you nobody from B grade will want to go up, as they will get beat by over 100 points every week.

Blackburn need to go back a division and their kids deserve to have some success after a tough couple of seasons getting belted.

5 teams in A Grade doesnt work and around 30 of these kids in the division would have played in the rep teams. They need to be playing under 17 footy and getting tested against the older kids...............like it has always been

Hopefully Mitcham can keep these boys together to U19 days.U11,12 and U13 they played grand finals all against Vermont with a 1 win 2 loss.Of cause U14 no footy and as you said this season unbeaten.Where the problem lays is the better players in our competition and their parents looking ahead for their kids future in higher grades of football want there kids play in the top sides in the top grades and I can assure you the Ranges and the Chargers are the main culprits.Full credit to East Burwood and Surrey Park in playing their U19,s in premier football .This group of Mitcham boys in the future for themselves and the club if they can keep them all together I would go down the same path even if Mitcham seniors are not in premier.Lets look at Nunawading for example,a gun 16 year old player turns up and excels in the 1,s and this kid has ambitions to play AFL footy,I think we would all know what this 16 year old would be being told.As for this group of boys they are Mitcham FC,s future,might loose some to higher grades of footy but important we try and keep them together and hopefully make the next step and play a higher standard of footy.

Last edited:
Berwick North are what was started as Timbarra and are pretty much as close to the centre of Berwick as the Berwick junior club. The main issue is the lack of facilities for startup clubs in these areas, combined with the pulling power of the existing clubs. Berwick Springs has had a junior club for well over a decade and still only recently looked to field a senior team. Narre North still don't have one. Ditto Narre South. I don't know what the solution is, but chatting to someone who grew up out here, their preference was to have a league based along the highway similar to the old West Gippy league. No reason Pakenham & Officer shouldn't be able to complete with Berwick, Beacy & Narre etc as they have had enormous population growth. It may take a lot of work, but it could be done.

Lack of facilities? There seems to be enormous reserves out all with new-ish rooms and double ovals. I could be wrong.

They kinda had a 12 club south-east league when they had the Casey-Cardinia Division. Dingley left first. Then Devon Meadows. Then Keysborough and Hampton Park. That left them with eight in the SEFNL so they went looking for a league merger and got the Outer East which has been a giant failure (which tbh a lot of people said beforehand it would be).

Tooradin are apparently happy in the WGFL so it just leaves Berwick Cranbourne Beacy Narre Officer Pakenham and Doveton, and now Berwick Springs.

Not enough development of new clubs and a reluctance to adopt “metro” footy has made it such a problem (the idea any of this is “country” is laughable).

Lack of facilities? There seems to be enormous reserves out all with new-ish rooms and double ovals. I could be wrong.

I meant for the junior clubs trying to expand. Having said that, it's been a while since I was involved in local junior footy, once my kids moved on so did I. There's only so much abuse from parents any one person can take!

They kinda had a 12 club south-east league when they had the Casey-Cardinia Division. Dingley left first. Then Devon Meadows. Then Keysborough and Hampton Park. That left them with eight in the SEFNL so they went looking for a league merger and got the Outer East which has been a giant failure (which tbh a lot of people said beforehand it would be).

Tooradin are apparently happy in the WGFL so it just leaves Berwick Cranbourne Beacy Narre Officer Pakenham and Doveton, and now Berwick Springs.

Not enough development of new clubs and a reluctance to adopt “metro” footy has made it such a problem (the idea any of this is “country” is laughable).

Yeah, I'm aware of the history, I've lived in Berwick for a goodly while now :) . The problem with the various setups was too many of the smaller clubs were not competitive and rather than do the work to get better they went the easy route and left. I understand where they were coming from, getting belted by 15+ goals pretty much every week, reserves teams that struggled to score let alone be competitive isn't great. The issue with Casey Cardinia was there was no avenue for the larger clubs to move as the MPNFL clubs didn't want to travel (understandably) and wouldn't accept those clubs into either of the other two divisions. SEFNL was too small, Outer East was a bandaid that ****ed the YVMFL clubs as they were too small to compete. Personally was happy when Berwick applied to leave as there is no future for clubs in this area (Beacy, Narre, even Office and Pakky eventually) in that league.

I meant for the junior clubs trying to expand. Having said that, it's been a while since I was involved in local junior footy, once my kids moved on so did I. There's only so much abuse from parents any one person can take!

Yeah, I'm aware of the history, I've lived in Berwick for a goodly while now :) . The problem with the various setups was too many of the smaller clubs were not competitive and rather than do the work to get better they went the easy route and left. I understand where they were coming from, getting belted by 15+ goals pretty much every week, reserves teams that struggled to score let alone be competitive isn't great. The issue with Casey Cardinia was there was no avenue for the larger clubs to move as the MPNFL clubs didn't want to travel (understandably) and wouldn't accept those clubs into either of the other two divisions. SEFNL was too small, Outer East was a bandaid that f’ed the YVMFL clubs as they were too small to compete. Personally was happy when Berwick applied to leave as there is no future for clubs in this area (Beacy, Narre, even Office and Pakky eventually) in that league.

The stupid thing is, listening to a lot of the MPNFL clubs, they're not too fussed. It's only those down on the peninsula that don't want it.

There should be a standalone country league on the Peninsula, and a big south-east league for the rest (say, north of Frankston). It'd be strong and multiple divisions, which would allow good competition and an entry point for the new clubs out there.

They've basically got it in the juniors but not the seniors. Who knows if they'll ever get there, probably not now with them all heading off to their own leagues.

In any case I wouldn't be hugely confident of getting in if I was Beaconsfield. Fair play to them if they do but it's a tough sell to D1, D2 clubs etc.

Hopefully Mitcham can keep these boys together to U19 days.U11,12 and U13 they played grand finals all against Vermont with a 1 win 2 loss.Of cause U14 no footy and as you said this season unbeaten.Where the problem lays is the better players in our competition and their parents looking ahead for their kids future in higher grades of football want there kids play in the top sides in the top grades and I can assure you the Ranges and the Chargers are the main culprits.Full credit to East Burwood and Surrey Park in playing their U19,s in premier football .This group of Mitcham boys in the future for themselves and the club if they can keep them all together I would go down the same path even if Mitcham seniors are not in premier.Lets look at Nunawading for example,a gun 16 year old player turns up and excels in the 1,s and this kid has ambitions to play AFL footy,I think we would all know what this 16 year old would be being told.As for this group of boys they are Mitcham FC,s future,might loose some to higher grades of footy but important we try and keep them together and hopefully make the next step and play a higher standard of footy.

There is no need for young players to leave their junior clubs. They will get identified and invited to the EFL 14's & 15's program. From there they will progress onto the Ranges or Chargers if they are good enough.

I am sure some players move from a B, C, OR D grade junior team to join a club in A Grade for genuine reasons or friendship groups and I see no problem with that. We live in a democracy.

But another big issue is coaches of A grade junior teams, contacting the gun players from the lower divisions and telling them the only way for their child to improve and reach their AFL dream, is by moving to play A Grade.

This is not ideal

There is no need for young players to leave their junior clubs. They will get identified and invited to the EFL 14's & 15's program. From there they will progress onto the Ranges or Chargers if they are good enough.

I am sure some players move from a B, C, OR D grade junior team to join a club in A Grade for genuine reasons or friendship groups and I see no problem with that. We live in a democracy.

But another big issue is coaches of A grade junior teams, contacting the gun players from the lower divisions and telling them the only way for their child to improve and reach their AFL dream, is by moving to play A Grade.

This is not ideal
Always been an interesting topic this one. It’s great to stay at a club all the way through yet if you have the talent why play C,D grade when you can test yourself against the best in A grade and it can fast track your development. But there are pros & cons about what’s ideal.

Has been going on forever unfortunately. Recall a certain very successful, high paying senior club that would defend its star studded premiership teams by saying that x number of them were from their junior club.

Well yeah, except they’d join the junior club at 16yo after being recruited.
Not to mention the added incentives offered to help you make up your mind.

Interesting Oakleigh District is having a vote among members about moving leagues, but it's not until next week. Wonder if it was always planned or if they've been forced to after a fair bit of negative feedback to their announcement.

One thing I do like is his comment about this "passion" translating into volunteering etc. We've all been there, plenty of people willing to have their say but when it comes to actually doing something, nowhere to be seen.

From their Facebook:

Good afternoon members, supporters and players,
As advised in my earlier post, the club has made an application to move into the EFNL, effective season 2022
The application is still in the various stages of the process and more information will be shared accordingly.
In the interim, the club will hold an information session on the Monday 4th Oct, 2021 at 7pm via zoom to broadly cover the reasons for the proposed move and the committee's plan for the clubs future sustainability.
We welcome all connected to the club to attend, however, a vote will be only called for from current financial members, life members and current players registered to the club.
It is encouraging to see a wide variety of feedback from the comments of my previous post, clearly there is a genuine love for the club by many.
I welcome this love for the club to translate into much needed extra volunteers, more members and ofcourse more valued sponsors, we need help in all of these vital areas, regardless of what league we play in, please come to the meeting with areas you believe you could assist the club, any capacity is welcome!!
Please email the below address by 5pm Sunday 3rd Oct for the zoom link, you will then be sent the zoom link prior to 12pm Monday 4th Oct;
oakleighdistrictfnc@gmail.com
As always, I'm available to discuss personally and can be contacted on the number below,
Thanks
Miles Jones
President
ODFNC
0423 474 211

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The vote won’t matter. 😜 Who audits these things?
You are such a cynic Bob, how much effort has the League put into their communication and transparency about these proposals to the clubs, their players, supporters and the public. Absolutely four fifths of bugger all, so I completely endorse your cynicism.

Dolphins have only been around for 4 years and struggle in 4th division Southern. They need to stay there and try and grow as a club before thinking about moving. Good committee and are trying hard to grow but it’s hard with so many established clubs around them. Will take time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back