Number 29 - Matthew Pavlich

Remove this Banner Ad

I question Pav's desire and ability to lead the team.

Would like to see him step down as Captain, and hand it over to someone who puts it on the line every week, for better or worse.

Captain in name, but not in nature.

I question Pav's desire and ability to lead the team.

Would like to see him step down as Captain, and hand it over to someone who puts it on the line every week, for better or worse.

Captain in name, but not in nature.

I take it you didnt watch the quarter time break when he sought out Clarke to give him some encouraging words - after he had the ball kicked on his head all quarter.

Getting a few touches in the 1st quarter doesn't make you a captain, where was he in the last 2 and a half? Telling a kid to put on his warfie cape doesn't either.

Go back and watch the videos of Bell, or McManus, or Cook play. When the game was on the line, they put their bodies on the line, they did the 1%ers, they did the captain things.

Try and remember when was the last time you saw Pav put his head over the ball and take a whack, or run back into/go 100% at a contest, or lay a chest to chest bone crunching tackle.

Pav is as soft as any player in our side, and people wonder why we are soft as a team. The rot starts at the head.

Hmmm..

I too would like to see him pass the captaincy on, can't agree that he's as soft as you say he is though.

To who though?

There ain't many contenders for the mantle......
Barlow - no, not proving hes back to fitness.
Mundy - just doesnt seem the leader.
Ibbo - to soft and relaxed.
Luke Mac - to old stay with Pav.
Sandi - same as above.
Fyfe - to young.
Hill - sames as Ibbo.
Duff - need i explain? Same as Ibbo.
DeBoer - ideal, but not entrenched in a role yet and a bit young.
MJ - again, same as Ibbo. Notice a trend yet??
Suban - cant motivate himself to get fit..
McPhee - a bit long in the tooth.
Broughton - just not a great leader.
Mayne - good leader but not captain material.
Crowley - not really captain material.

Am i missing anyone???

Ballantyne. Gives 100%, can fire the team up, does all the little things like chase and tackle. Yeah, he gets into trouble a bit, but I'd prefer a skipper who sometimes went too far in the putting it all on the table, than one who doesn't go far enough.

You don't have to be a Tom Brady/Captain America type leader. That's what Pav is, and it doesn't work for us. Some of the best Captains in AFL history have been the guys who would over step the mark. Forget the "Oh, but he wouldn't set a good example for the kids" stuff, the leadership they're getting at the moment isn't setting a good example.

I think being the skipper would also force him to tone down some of the bullshit also.

Ballantyne. Gives 100%, can fire the team up, does all the little things like chase and tackle. Yeah, he gets into trouble a bit, but I'd prefer a skipper who sometimes went too far in the putting it all on the table, than one who doesn't go far enough.

You don't have to be a Tom Brady/Captain America type leader. That's what Pav is, and it doesn't work for us. Some of the best Captains in AFL history have been the guys who would over step the mark. Forget the "Oh, but he wouldn't set a good example for the kids" stuff, the leadership they're getting at the moment isn't setting a good example.

I think being the skipper would also force him to tone down some of the bullshit also.

I'll be damned if I allow any of my children to think of professional sportsmen/women as role models. Each to their own, but I'm of the opinion that if a bloke playing football is a child's role model someone somewhere is doing it wrong.

Still not sure I'd agree with Ballas as a choice though. At the moment I don't think there's anyone but Pav who could do it.

To who though?

There ain't many contenders for the mantle......
Barlow - no, not proving hes back to fitness.
Mundy - just doesnt seem the leader.
Ibbo - to soft and relaxed.
Luke Mac - to old stay with Pav.
Sandi - same as above.
Fyfe - to young.
Hill - sames as Ibbo.
Duff - need i explain? Same as Ibbo.
DeBoer - ideal, but not entrenched in a role yet and a bit young.
MJ - again, same as Ibbo. Notice a trend yet??
Suban - cant motivate himself to get fit..
McPhee - a bit long in the tooth.
Broughton - just not a great leader.
Mayne - good leader but not captain material.
Crowley - not really captain material.

Am i missing anyone???

Fyfe obviously. Should have happened already, I assume it will be the end of this year.

I'll be damned if I allow any of my children to think of professional sportsmen/women as role models. Each to their own, but I'm of the opinion that if a bloke playing football is a child's role model someone somewhere is doing it wrong.

Still not sure I'd agree with Ballas as a choice though. At the moment I don't think there's anyone but Pav who could do it.

Meant the young players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back