NXT Discussion Thread (On FOX8, Kayo and Binge)

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone find the cross-purposes that WWE and the NXT brand seem to be at to be somewhat confusing? I'm puzzled as to what the purpose of NXT is right now. Is it a developmental "training ground"? Is it its own stand-alone product? If these types of matches and booking are what fans prefer to see in wrestling in 2018, why is there not more run-over into the main roster product? If a wrestler is having success and getting over in NXT, why should they want to go to the main roster? I could probably elaborate and explain further, but whenever I watch an NXT event or show, I feel like these questions need to be addressed by both the WWE, performers and fans.

Hmm, well, if dollars vs. dollars are the only consideration (and there might not be that much of a difference between NXT main eventer and main roster curtain-jerker) you're also on the road a fair bit more to earn that money, have more personal expenses, less creative freedom and a less prominent spot in the grand scheme of things, etc.

I think Vince is generally concerned that the average fan won't respond well to the NXT style.

I feel like the average fan will accept whatever you put in front of them but that's just me.

I agree. It was originally niche and it appealed to people because of it. It does really baffle me though. All the guys at the top of NXT would be over at the top of a WWE show if they built them. The only awkward part will be the egos of the upper card guys now.

Heard an ex-wrestler on a podcast talking about Finn Balor and they basically said that Finn made his art before WWE and now it's time to cash in. I would say that holds up for a lot of guys in the company. You wouldn't find too many who value the art entirely over the paycheck. Those who have already had an entire careers worth of work on the independent scene are probably happy to cop bad booking on the chin for the $$$ they are getting in return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard an ex-wrestler on a podcast talking about Finn Balor and they basically said that Finn made his art before WWE and now it's time to cash in. I would say that holds up for a lot of guys in the company. You wouldn't find too many who value the art entirely over the paycheck. Those who have already had an entire careers worth of work on the independent scene are probably happy to cop bad booking on the chin for the $$$ they are getting in return.
I believe Kevin Owens is a good example, I recall him saying he would never leave WWE mostly because the money is so much better than he could get elsewhere.

Does anyone find the cross-purposes that WWE and the NXT brand seem to be at to be somewhat confusing? I'm puzzled as to what the purpose of NXT is right now. Is it a developmental "training ground"? Is it its own stand-alone product? If these types of matches and booking are what fans prefer to see in wrestling in 2018, why is there not more run-over into the main roster product? If a wrestler is having success and getting over in NXT, why should they want to go to the main roster? I could probably elaborate and explain further, but whenever I watch an NXT event or show, I feel like these questions need to be addressed by both the WWE, performers and fans.

I agree... but also don't care. Call it selfish, but I don't want to watch 5-6 hours of programming each week & 12-17 ppvs a year... 1 weekly hour & 5 ppvs a year is exactly what I want to watch.

Yes, I do think that something isn't right with the development in NXT and that may harm the future of WWE as a whole. But again, I don't want to watch so much programming anyway (even more so with NJPW doing a good job of late). Just take a look at the last 2 weeks of NXT tv (a cage match, a women's #1 contender fourway & a tag title match) and that's perfect for me. So unless the WWE main roster reduces their programming hours (which simply won't happen with the new broadcast deals), then please leave everything as is.

On a related note, I thought the comments from Edge & Christian on EC3 & Lacey Evans were interesting. They basically said that they never needed to be on NXT in the 1st place (especially EC3) and will be better suited to the main roster.

At lot of wrestlers in NXT wrestle the indy style and need to be "taught" how to do WWEs style of wrestling.

It's something I don't agree with because I like indy wrestling, but EC3 already knew how to do WWEs style.

So I can understand why Edge and Christian said he didn't need to be there.

Ciampa for me.

I was thinking the same. I think the one with the least claim would be Almas, but only because he's been on the main roster for several months. You could make reasonable arguments for all the other seven though.

I believe Kevin Owens is a good example, I recall him saying he would never leave WWE mostly because the money is so much better than he could get elsewhere.

Especially when they have Families

It’s a joke that every title on NXT feels more important than the titles on RAW. Care way more about the matches for all 3 titles more than what have gotten lately for the Universal, Intercontinental and Raw Womens.

NXT is Miles better then the Crap on Main Roster.

You would rather be on NXT then Smackdown or Raw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back