Oakeshott's Back Baby!

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a question: What has Luke Hartsuyker done in 15 years in parliament? I'd venture Oakeshott achieved a heap more for his constituents in 5 than Hartsuker has in 15.

Remember Brian Harridine that repeatedly screwed Howard over in the senate to get things through?

Did he bore the press to sleep with a empty fluff speech for 17 minutes before announcing he was running?
I've never understood this criticism.

The bloke had to jointly (with Windsor) decide who was going to form government. A monumental responsibility, not the fault of either of them.

That decision warranted a decent explanation.

The bloke had to jointly (with Windsor) decide who was going to form government. A monumental responsibility, not the fault of either of them.

And given as people so often like to say, he was voting against what the constituents may have 'naturally' expected, of course he was going to explain himself. As for that minority government they got a lot done. Over 600 pieces of legislation from memory. But the naysayers then suggested it was 'dysfunctional' because regulation is bad so their success was the problem. Can't win either way, in other words.
Next time make sure you shout out "YOU'RE A WHITE MALE!" too.
No-one had said anything of the sort... Yet another example of the 'we're victims too!' politics that has infiltrated the current batch of Liberal voters.

No-one had said anything of the sort... Yet another example of the 'we're victims too!' politics that has infiltrated the current batch of Liberal voters.
If anyone has a victim complex, it is definitely you. My comment was out of jest.

You've named a bunch of prime ministers and senior ministers who were each in parliament for decades. Oakeshott was and independent in federal parliament for about 5 years so it's a bit silly to expect him to have had that sort of impact.

But he was part of delivering a lot of infrastructure and services for regional Australia that's never happened under either major parties previously. A big example was the NBN. By backing the Gillard government he was able to ensure that regional Australia got reliable access to high quality communications, something that has been a problem for decades.

Here's a question: What has Luke Hartsuyker done in 15 years in parliament? I'd venture Oakeshott achieved a heap more for his constituents in 5 than Hartsuker has in 15.
Definitely, he got my party into power reason.

Have you ever heard of Brian Harradine?

Considering that it was a decision that was about the next three years of government, if people consider 17 minutes was too long then they've got way too short an attention span.

With the amount of abuse he got following the decision, at least he'd pre-justified it.

Back onto topic, what Oakshott is really showing is just how on the nose the Nationals are in regional Australia. I was as surprised as anyone that he is in with a chance, but I have been as critical of the Nationals as anyone on this site over the years.

The Nationals are a real chance to lose not only here but Barnaby as well. Remember Tony Windsor retired, it was then that the Nationals put Barnaby into the seat bringing him down from the Senate, so he never got voted out and still has a lot of goodwill for him in the seat. He served them well in a minority government doing far more good than Barnaby has even as deputy PM he's done nothing for New England.

I don't accept this. At the time everyone just wanted to know who the government was. If he had have announced he backed Labour and then explained, it wouldn't have been an issue. Instead he tried to be a showman and build suspense, and it was excruciating to listen to. The criticism was valid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back onto topic, what Oakshott is really showing is just how on the nose the Nationals are in regional Australia. I was as surprised as anyone that he is in with a chance, but I have been as critical of the Nationals as anyone on this site over the years.

The Nationals are a real chance to lose not only here but Barnaby as well. Remember Tony Windsor retired, it was then that the Nationals put Barnaby into the seat bringing him down from the Senate, so he never got voted out and still has a lot of goodwill for him in the seat. He served them well in a minority government doing far more good than Barnaby has even as deputy PM he's done nothing for New England.

Oakeshott (to even my surprise) has a better chance of winning than Windsor. The only thing Hartsukyer seems to have going for him is his unusual surname.

Oakeshott (to even my surprise) has a better chance of winning than Windsor. The only thing Hartsukyer seems to have going for him is his unusual surname.
Windsor's campaign has run out of steam. The one thing to come out of it though is that Barnaby Joyce is a dirty sewer dwelling weevil. It has been a very dirty campaign involving personal attacks and attacks on family members, it is really a leaf out of US politics its that bad.

How bad was this post!

With both Oakeshott and Windsor, even though they didn't win, they absolutely got a better result for their electorates as well as their money back. Barnaby moving a bunch of scientists to his electorate who don't want to leave Canberra is not the best sort of pork barrelling they could get, but I'm sure there are plenty of other things they received that they otherwise wouldn't have been given.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back