Hot Topic Off The Books Illicit Drug Test Claims in Bombshell AFL ‘Cover-Up’ - Injuries Faked To Evade Game Day Detection

Remove this Banner Ad

Glenn Bartlett is a *ing animal, he is stopping at nothing to rectify the real injustice he feels has been bestowed upon him.
He’s played every card so far perfectly, the AFL and Melbourne must be absolutely shitting themselves at the thought of whatever cards he’s got left.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Naming AFL execs who have also stepped over the white line …

If, as alleged, the AFL was helping to facilitate testing as described, think it’s highly likely that Melbourne will not be the only club implicated.
Recreational drug use in elite sport and celeb circles is rife- much higher rates than the general population.

I’d be shocked if that was actually true.

I'm struggling a bit with this one.

Players are allowed, in fact encouraged to self report. These are counted as strikes...do we know for a fact these did not count as strikes for the players concerned?

What's the alternative...player A comes to the club and says "I took some cocaine last night"...is the club just supposed to say "too bad", let them play and take their chances and risk a possible 4 year ban?

The only thing wrong here that I can see is the possibility these did not count as strikes and it was a systemic cover up of repeat offenders...I haven't read the articles so please correct me if I am wrong.

It wouldn't be that much of a surprise would it?

More money to burn and high pressure environment. Not that hard to see why really.

Drug use in elite sport/celeb circles would definitely be high. But the general population would be much high, a lot more people.

Drug use in elite sport/celeb circles would definitely be high. But the general population would be much high, a lot more people.
As a percentage it wouldn't be. If you took a percentage of the number of AFL players using, as opposed to the number of people in a general population, the AFL would be much, much higher.

I think if you're talking just cocaine, the average Joe couldn't afford to be using as often as someone on an AFL players salary would allow.

I think the much bigger question is - what do WADA/ASADA do if they can prove the AFL has been systematically trying to cover up these instances?

I also thought players were still able to be tested even while injured?

Nothing, it has nothing to do with them and there is nothing that’s been reported that would concern them.

The article is specifically talking about players voluntarily being tested in the days before a match and withdrawing due to drug use.

The drugs being tested for are only relevant to the sporting bodies if they are classed as a game day test.

I’m not really sure if this is as big of a story as being made out.

Doctors are testing players for drug use and withdrawing them from games to avoid the possibility of player breaking ASADA or WADA rules.

There’s no gotcha moment here, the AFLs drug testing program is voluntary, the players are testing voluntarily and are being tested to make sure they don’t risk a 2-4 year doping ban.

I find it funny that a few people hear are making fun of the Demons in regards to their doctor being mentioned but I wonder if these same people are looking forward to our own player being named for his first game on Friday, after serving a ban for drug possession and needing to go to court.

Australia has doctor patient confidentiality laws, people can see their doctor for many many reasons and what they discuss there and do there is none of anyone’s business, especially their employer.

Am I naive enough not to think that AFL players in all clubs have regular recreation drug users? No.

Am I naive enough not to think most professional sporting organisations face the same problems with recreation drug use? No.

What does smell funny is how this all came about. With all the propaganda and junk being delivered these days with everything from vaccines, politics, blah blah, wouldn't be shocked to be sitting here if a rival code looking to contain the growth of the game had some input.

I think the much bigger question is - what do WADA/ASADA do if they can prove the AFL has been systematically trying to cover up these instances?

They will do nothing, hence the term ‘medical’…

The AFL has it covered…

The only option for the AFL is to stop testing all together which would mean millions in funding from the government out the window…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the issue is government have contributed to AFL coffers based on it being a regulated professional sport. (Funny I know cause it's run like an absolute bush league).

Wilkie therefore is calling it fraud.

Nothing, it has nothing to do with them and there is nothing that’s been reported that would concern them.

The article is specifically talking about players voluntarily being tested in the days before a match and withdrawing due to drug use.

The drugs being tested for are only relevant to the sporting bodies if they are classed as a game day test.
It looks pretty dodgy. They're deliberately avoiding these game day tests by faking injuries.

Hard not to lose faith in the injury report now. There's a few of our boys that are on the injury list quite frequently. You'd hope it's all above board but you have to wonder now.

I’m not really sure if this is as big of a story as being made out.

Doctors are testing players for drug use and withdrawing them from games to avoid the possibility of player breaking ASADA or WADA rules.

There’s no gotcha moment here, the AFLs drug testing program is voluntary, the players are testing voluntarily and are being tested to make sure they don’t risk a 2-4 year doping ban.

I find it funny that a few people hear are making fun of the Demons in regards to their doctor being mentioned but I wonder if these same people are looking forward to our own player being named for his first game on Friday, after serving a ban for drug possession and needing to go to court.

Australia has doctor patient confidentiality laws, people can see their doctor for many many reasons and what they discuss there and do there is none of anyone’s business, especially their employer.

The issue is one of a club not just doing what you suggested but being openly tolerant of the players and the coach being regular, problematic drug users and hiding that, rather than dealing with addiction & harm.

If a senior coach is openly doing drugs (drinking harmfully, gambling...), including with the players it sets up a permissive culture than isn't a place i'd want a young player joining.

It also seems that a club used it's status as a tolerant place to actively recruit players with substance issues for under market value.

I don't necessarily have an issue with ilicit drugs in the community, although i'd prefer it to be legalised and regulated but i don't believe a high performance sporting club is the place for it, especially as clubs and the competition recieve so much state and federal money.

Glenn Bartlett is a *ing animal, he is stopping at nothing to rectify the real injustice he feels has been bestowed upon him.
He’s played every card so far perfectly, the AFL and Melbourne must be absolutely shitting themselves at the thought of whatever cards he’s got left.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep, this is the kicker. This could be and probably is happening at every club, however, Melbourne ran this guy out of the club after he raised concern over club culture. Now that there his claims are substantiated, look out Melbourne FC and the AFL if he chooses to go after compensation.

I'm struggling a bit with this one.

Players are allowed, in fact encouraged to self report. These are counted as strikes...do we know for a fact these did not count as strikes for the players concerned?

What's the alternative...player A comes to the club and says "I took some cocaine last night"...is the club just supposed to say "too bad", let them play and take their chances and risk a possible 4 year ban?

The only thing wrong here that I can see is the possibility these did not count as strikes and it was a systemic cover up of repeat offenders...I haven't read the articles so please correct me if I am wrong.
They weren’t doing the mandatory reporting to a couple of governing bodies - WADA and Sports Integrity Australia

It looks pretty dodgy. They're deliberately avoiding these game day tests by faking injuries.

Hard not to lose faith in the injury report now. There's a few of our boys that are on the injury list quite frequently. You'd hope it's all above board but you have to wonder now.
Whilst that might be true, lots are f people at the club would be unaware and are acting in good faith.

There’s lots going on here but I think transparency on injury reporting is a fair way down the list in terms of importance.

There is no mandatory reporting for private tests done outside of match day.
Illicit drugs are not prohibited by ASADA or WADA unless it’s a match day test
Fair enough - I was just basing that off a quote from Andrew Wilkie

"They are advised to lie about a condition while the results of the off-the-book tests are kept secret and are never shared with Sports Integrity Australia or WADA"

The issue is one of a club not just doing what you suggested but being openly tolerant of the players and the coach being regular, problematic drug users and hiding that, rather than dealing with addiction & harm.

If a senior coach is openly doing drugs (drinking harmfully, gambling...), including with the players it sets up a permissive culture than isn't a place i'd want a young player joining.

It also seems that a club used it's status as a tolerant place to actively recruit players with substance issues for under market value.

I don't necessarily have an issue with ilicit drugs in the community, although i'd prefer it to be legalised and regulated but i don't believe a high performance sporting club is the place for it, especially as clubs and the competition recieve so much state and federal money.

I hadn’t thought about certain players joining Melb due to it being tolerant of certain behaviours and it’s interesting, hard to prove but it’s possible and I agree with your comments regarding the coach.

I don’t think the Demons have a good culture, but I also think every club wound have a large % of its list regularly using drugs, just not getting caught.

The reports have tried to make it sound like the AFL are doing tests, but to me it just sounds like players getting tested and withdrawing from games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back