Social Off-topic post dumping ground - continue to chat here

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, you can see how she managed to make a good living.

She definitely got around!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Keeler
The Profumo Affair

In July 1961, Ward introduced Keeler to John Profumo, the British Secretary of State for War, at a pool party at Cliveden, the Buckinghamshire mansion owned by Lord Astor. Profumo entered into an affair with Keeler, not realising that she was also sleeping with drug dealer Johnny Edgecombe as well as Russian spy Yevgeni Ivanov, outwardly a naval attaché at the embassy of the Soviet Union.

Keeler's affair with Profumo was terminated by the government's Cabinet Secretary, Sir Norman Brook, who spoke to him on the advice of Sir Roger Hollis, the head of MI5. On 9 August 1961, Profumo wrote to Keeler advising her he could no longer see her. However, when Johnny Edgecombe was arrested for firing a gun at the door of Keeler's home, news of the affair became public, creating a scandal resulting in Profumo's resignation from parliament. Keeler became a celebrity.

The portrait

At the height of the Profumo Affair in 1963, Keeler sat for a photographic portrait that became famous. The photo shoot, at a studio on the first floor of Peter Cook's Establishment Club, with Lewis Morley was to promote a proposed film, The Keeler Affair, that was only distributed outside Britain. Keeler had previously signed a contract which required her to pose nude for publicity photos, but was reluctant. The film producers insisted so Morley persuaded Keeler to sit astride an imitation of an iconic Fritz Hansen plywood chair, so that whilst technically she would be nude, the back of the chair would obscure most of her body.

At the time, Morley and Keeler were already famous, but the photo propelled the Arne Jacobsen model 3107 chair to stardom. However, it is proven that the actual chair used was an imitation, with a hand-hold aperture cut out of the back to avoid making it an exact and infringing copy...

I knew all about the Profumo Affair, but the chair bit is new.
You ought to read the whole story one day - the above characters, Profumo's film star wife, Stephen Ward, Lucky whatever, the Polish slumlord, Mandy, the appalling MacMillan, all topped off by Lord Denning.
Not to forget the famous Naked Masked Man dangling from the chandelier.
I don't want to give away the plot, but I kid you not about the characters.

FOX CLASSICS :D

Raging Bull on at the moment :thumbsu:

Absolutely brilliant movie!

This is going to be a really busy thread.
They said with tongue planted firmly in cheek...I just noticed the Account was cancelled.

Shame, Mutty was good value.

I feel like I'm spamming this place now...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back