Game Day Official Practice Match - Carlton v Sydney Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

That side is pretty close, but get the feeling Voss will also want LOB in, to play 3 wingers, but not sure who he takes out
LOB was worst on ground for me last night.. played 84 minutes for 5 disposals, 2 of which were turnovers. Got out bodied way too easy and Hollands has already gone past him.

Caroll had 5 disposals in 21 minutes..

Was just asking for the reasoning...
In my opinion Young does not look confident once the ball hits the ground or is in dispute … I’d rather Gov and or Marchbank in defence alongside Weiters which would then render Young without a position down back … just my opinion based on having watched him last season …

If Hollands and Cowan play round 1 that’s a big tick for our recruiting.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We've forgotten what it's like to have young guys come in make an impact, and how that energises the whole team. Really shines a light on how we've neglected and/or stuffed up most drafts since 2015.

Young plays better when he is showing some form of aggression

Aggression and responsibility - he's been tentative most games since Weitering came back from injury

LOB was worst on ground for me last night.. played 84 minutes for 5 disposals, 2 of which were turnovers. Got out bodied way too easy and Hollands has already gone past him.

Caroll had 5 disposals in 21 minutes..
Could not agree more Hollands and Cowan have already sped past both Dow and O’Brien … the later two extremely disappointing … Carroll looks like a footballer and should make it …

I have read a lot about our lack of intensity in practise match as why we played as we did -- fair point but that in itself is a problem that unless we are going 100% hammer accross the 4 quarters we are not competitive as was shown last night we don't have a fluent ball movement and and have no system without the ball -- still haven't addressed kick in from behind or kick out from behind tactics ( this should be something that just happens .. they way we moved the ball the last two weeks we are still a middle table side but have enough individual stars to make low end finals -- I understand what Buckley was saying the other morning when he said sides will take away our clearance advantage and we have no other Avenue To score ..

I have read a lot about our lack of intensity in practise match as why we played as we did -- fair point but that in itself is a problem that unless we are going 100% hammer accross the 4 quarters we are not competitive as was shown last night we don't have a fluent ball movement and and have no system without the ball -- still haven't addressed kick in from behind or kick out from behind tactics ( this should be something that just happens .. they way we moved the ball the last two weeks we are still a middle table side but have enough individual stars to make low end finals -- I understand what Buckley was saying the other morning when he said sides will take away our clearance advantage and we have no other Avenue To score ..
How are you supposed to score with out the ball - please let me know? How are you supposed to get ball in hand unless you win contested ball/clearance - please let me know...

This plan B meme - everyone refers to is interesting- what is Plan B for any team? - just give me ONE example of a 'Plan B' from any team and I will then understand what all the blather is.

Maybe Vossy hasn't got the license to use a plan B - the plan where you can get your team to score without anyone in the team with ball in hand... maybe Plan B is asking the opposition to just give you the ball or kick a lot of behinds against themselves...

Yes let's wait until round 1 to see.

Main keys are.

1. We can apply good pressure around the ball.

2. We can move the ball quickly, directly and laterally.

3. We can maintain the ball in our forward end at times.

4. We can win games and score goals without dominating clearance.

5. We are not a team intercept marking defenders feast upon.

These are the 5 points I will be watching and judging us on and the coaching staff on. These are the 5 areas we let ourselves down on last year and why we missed finals. Practice match signs suggest these are areas of work.

6. We kick straight. (And, no, that doesn’t go without saying. One of those misses becomes a goal in any of those wins we had and we would have made finals).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just on Youngy; Young needs to just improve his decision making when ball is in flight and it isn’t a pack of 7 around him to just spoil the pill. Someone mentioned his choice to spoil late on, and I agree, rewind back to the Dees game in the last minute last season as a prime example on why he needs to improve this part of his game.

Disposal improved as he moved through the year last season. Was his first season of continuity in one position and volume of games as well. I think he will be fine, especially with Marchy and Gov back in. Dutchy and Moo were impressive, Ollie already covers the ground so well. Acres was a steal for the price we got him for, we really have strengthened on the wing which is a big thumbs up.

Young should either back himself to mark or spoil to advantage ala Bruce Doull.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

How are you supposed to score with out the ball - please let me know? How are you supposed to get ball in hand unless you win contested ball/clearance - please let me know...

This plan B meme - everyone refers to is interesting- what is Plan B for any team? - just give me ONE example of a 'Plan B' from any team and I will then understand what all the blather is.

Maybe Vossy hasn't got the license to use a plan B - the plan where you can get your team to score without anyone in the team with ball in hand... maybe Plan B is asking the opposition to just give you the ball or kick a lot of behinds against themselves...
I haven't read the Buckley theory(he's not stupid), but as far as winning tactics against our muscular contested ball plan, we only have to cast our memories back the second half of last season. Just play an extra defender combined with a fast, skilled disposal side and watch them charge out of our forward line and set up scoring opportunities.
We are not a good transition team, that relies too heavily on the contested clearances and long bombs into the fwd50. It needs to be more balanced with good delivery by foot and hand to create space.
The advantage of winning contested clearances is wasted without quick, quality handballs to outside runners.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Plan B' makes it sound like a completely alternative gameplan, which I agree would be nonsense. This whole discussion makes more sense to me in terms of shifting gears -- knowing whether to move the balance towards speed or possession depending on the state of the game, being able to stand up when the other side has the momentum and wrestle the game back onto your terms, having alternative avenues to goal if a particular player is being blanketed, etc. Don't know if that's what Buckley had in mind with those comments though.

Likewise, if he can stay in the gsme & up his defensive workrate, it'll create more scoring shots/repeat entries.
At times he seems to give up on the play a little too easily.
he can * the "gibbs jog" off too..........

Blind Freddie knows the gap between our top 6 players and our bottom six is too large. That is stating the bleeding
Problem is this has been an issue for a while. In 2021 we had 3 all Australian squad members (should have been 3 in the side too) and only won 8 games.

Last year we had more more contributors because we brought in ready made players like Hewett and Cerra who had an immediate impact, Fisher and Kennedy improved.

We need our second and third tier players to step up because they aren’t close to consistent performer Cripps, Walsh, Saad, Weiters, Harry and Charlie.

In some cases you’ve got just barely established as best 22 players like Young who still has it all in front him and yet has looked really poor so far in 2023.

In other cases we’ve been waiting almost 100 games for them to deliver like Fisher, yet when the chance comes to step up in a preseason game they just cruise along.

Gulden in contrast lays down a marker that makes the Sydney coaches and the rest of the league sit up and take notice. Why can’t one of our boys do that?

I haven't read the Buckley theory(he's not stupid), but as far as winning tactics against our muscular contested ball plan, we only have to cast our memories back the second half of last season. Just play an extra defender combined with a fast, skilled disposal side and watch them charge out of our forward line and set up scoring opportunities.
We are not a good transition team, that relies too heavily on the contested clearances and long bombs into the fwd50. It needs to be more balanced with good delivery by foot and hand to create space.
The advantage of winning contested clearances is wasted without quick, quality handballs to outside runners.

I think Voss and his group are well aware of all the ways a game can be played mate- we sometimes forget that a coach can only play the best players available to him to play - availability and competence.

People try and make cases for this or that player with this or that attribute to be able to play the game in this or that way

Coaches are very well aware of all that stuff and more than anyone one of us armchair viewers can, or will ever know - especially about the capabilities of their own players.

As far as leg speed and skill goes right now we have:

Cuningham Martin Durdin McGovern (Marchbank) all with question marks over near term availability

for endurance and speed we have :

Walsh, Cottrell, Boyd and now Williams out with long-term or season-ending injury

That is a LOT of players (9) we haven't seen this year....who knows how many of them we wont see

That is a LOT of more developed running power missing.

Good thing the club invested in Pick#11 - he looks a definite player of teh future - Cowan goes all right too...even talls have been introduced into the development cycle in O'Neill and Lemmey

TLDR? A lot of the outside run and general run has not been played or can not play Voss can only pick he has available to pick. This determines what style of game can be played - as opposed to what style(s) of game might better be played.

Or maybe plan "b" is pressuring the team who wins the ball after your initial clearance, to score themselves. Our team gets beaten after winning clearances way to often.

Or maybe plan "b" is pressuring the team who wins the ball after your initial clearance, to score themselves. Our team gets beaten after winning clearances way to often.
See my above post. Is it the coaching group's fault that some players are just not up to it - but have to be played because they are the next best available?

Ho wmany of these blokes slot straightback in when available?

Newman, McGovern Marchbank Cripps, Martin, Harry, Durdin - 5/7 are highly likely round-one starters. Change the team much?

'Plan B' makes it sound like a completely alternative gameplan, which I agree would be nonsense. This whole discussion makes more sense to me in terms of shifting gears -- knowing whether to move the balance towards speed or possession depending on the state of the game, being able to stand up when the other side has the momentum and wrestle the game back onto your terms, having alternative avenues to goal if a particular player is being blanketed, etc. Don't know if that's what Buckley had in mind with those comments though.
I get the shifting gears bit - I think it is already part of the game plan - but too many of the players on deck aren't up to executing as well as required.
The alternative avenues to goal is the problem we have. Fisher/Owies/Honey/Motlop/Ed and even Dow and Plowman at one stage in teh ydney game - not an inspiring list of supporting actors in the forward lines - but that is where the improvement has to come from.

Okay so finally watched the game.

There is no way we are playing that way during the season.

In the 1st qtr there was zero overlap run. I could not count any handball off after a mark. Maybe one. while it was all the Swans did.

That is a directive. They have been told to kick mark kick mark. Maybe practising trying to slow the play against a team with lots of overlap.

No way that was how we will play in season. Relax.

Okay so finally watched the game.

There is no way we are playing that way during the season.

In the 1st qtr there was zero overlap run. I could not count any handball off after a mark. Maybe one. while it was all the Swans did.

That is a directive. They have been told to kick mark kick mark. Maybe practising trying to slow the play against a team with lots of overlap.

No way that was how we will play in season. Relax.
Exactly! Saad literally didn't make one run the whole game. If we play with that style he might as well not play lol

I not talking plan b -- with ball in hand we don't move it fluently from end to end but we allow easy movement end to end .. we still don't execute coming out from a behind or defend sides kicking out well . I DONT believe all this plan A B C crappola .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back