All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
St Kilda East
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Angels, Blazers, Patriots
Hi guys

I used to play in the FDFL (ANBY) in the early to mid 1990s in the junior age level. I realize that my club doesn't exist anymore (or does it?) and I have lost contact with all of my old team-mates, etc.

Trying to find out if any of the old ANBY players that are between the ages of 26 and 32 are currently playing? Any of the other team's standout players still playing?

I remember watching a few years back when 'Big Cameron' from Altona City played for Williamstown in the VFL and was best on ground. That was a happy day watching at home- I remember playing against him numerous times. Any other such players?

Among the many names that may ring a bell are Ted Fenton, Brett Miller, Cameron Whitzel, Peter Jasky, Shaun Derritch (won best player in Under 12s in 1992/93 and was out of ANBY and at Newport the following season), Sean O'Keefe, Brent Murdock to name just a few.

Anyone from that era? Stars from other clubs?

Hi guys

I used to play in the FDFL (ANBY) in the early to mid 1990s in the junior age level. I realize that my club doesn't exist anymore (or does it?) and I have lost contact with all of my old team-mates, etc.

Trying to find out if any of the old ANBY players that are between the ages of 26 and 32 are currently playing? Any of the other team's standout players still playing?

I remember watching a few years back when 'Big Cameron' from Altona City played for Williamstown in the VFL and was best on ground. That was a happy day watching at home- I remember playing against him numerous times. Any other such players?

Among the many names that may ring a bell are Ted Fenton, Brett Miller, Cameron Whitzel, Peter Jasky, Shaun Derritch (won best player in Under 12s in 1992/93 and was out of ANBY and at Newport the following season), Sean O'Keefe, Brent Murdock to name just a few.

I assume the 'big Cameron' was me mate. Im still fat and still playing (at Hoppers Crossing) but have been at a few clubs in between. And Im still dark on Shaun beating me in that comp bnf by a vote but at least we won the flag. Lol.

From memory there arent too many of the ANBY boys playing and havent done for quite a while. The only 1 still playing off the top of my head is Steve McAnaulty. He plays at Port Colts and is a star and has been for a few years. Other guys who you may have played against who are still going around is Brett Jacobs who is captain of Port Colts and has won most things there are to win. Luke Phipps (Deer Park) is also at Hoppers, Brett Millar is still playing at Altona and Im sure there are others but none spring to mind atm.

I assume the 'big Cameron' was me mate. Im still fat and still playing (at Hoppers Crossing) but have been at a few clubs in between. And Im still dark on Shaun beating me in that comp bnf by a vote but at least we won the flag. Lol.

From memory there arent too many of the ANBY boys playing and havent done for quite a while. The only 1 still playing off the top of my head is Steve McAnaulty. He plays at Port Colts and is a star and has been for a few years. Other guys who you may have played against who are still going around is Brett Jacobs who is captain of Port Colts and has won most things there are to win. Luke Phipps (Deer Park) is also at Hoppers, Brett Millar is still playing at Altona and Im sure there are others but none spring to mind atm.

Yeah, you guys got us in the GF. We killed your mob in the prelim to earn that week off then they played the GF on that mud heap down at St Albans which helped you guys out a lot that year -- your team (not just yourself) were always bigger bodied players where as we had a team mostly of water bugs (aside from the two Shaun's and Peter Jasky) like Steve Mac, Dillon and Brad Gatt. Still, you boys killed us that GF.

Glad to hear Steve's going around- he was always that much more dedicated than a lot of our guys. I think he could have gone on to big things in football but was always too small. I imagine he's a rover.

Brett Miller lived not too far away growing up.

Also good to hear you're still around. Still the best player we played against. Any of your team-mates still playing?

Yeah, you guys got us in the GF. We killed your mob in the prelim to earn that week off then they played the GF on that mud heap down at St Albans which helped you guys out a lot that year -- your team (not just yourself) were always bigger bodied players where as we had a team mostly of water bugs (aside from the two Shaun's and Peter Jasky) like Steve Mac, Dillon and Brad Gatt. Still, you boys killed us that GF.

Glad to hear Steve's going around- he was always that much more dedicated than a lot of our guys. I think he could have gone on to big things in football but was always too small. I imagine he's a rover.

Brett Miller lived not too far away growing up.

Also good to hear you're still around. Still the best player we played against. Any of your team-mates still playing?

Ill private message you

Hi guys

Gday mate. I played too but I was shite so I umpired!! Ted Fenton I think is living on the Gold Coast and playing in the QAFL.

hey mate......i never played for ANBY but played with Shaun Derrich....he was at Seddon for a few years as i recall (woulda been around 8-9 years ago now).......hot head but was good player when he put his mind to it.

Steve Mac (boofa) is definently still wandering around as Beazer said - gun with a capital G. I grew up with him and remember when we played in 16s at yarraville and he was a little midget who weighed less than one of my turds but still dominated. Playing more of a roving HFF/Forward Pocket nowdays allthough dont get to see him much as i play for Yarra.

Teddy Fenton is up QLD somewhere. Pretty sure he's still playing......speak to him every now and then on Facebook. Us rangas have to stick together.

sorry wasn't much use but hope that helps a bit.

s**t I'm on the Gold Coast. UGH. Leaving tomorrow. I lived next door to Teddy. Wish I knew how to contact him. Haven't seen him in a few years.

luke phipps.........ahhhhh what a dud........im still around beazer boy........played with luke at d/p never played anby though the group of nigel hill n co did though......lee macdonald.......

and remember lining up against shaun derritch who played for seddon.......

my opinion anby were riff raff too much trouble reason's why they got kicked out of the fdfl........

ANBY got kicked out of the FDFL?

ANBY was a good club for a few years... Then the whole place fell apart. The wrong people took over the club, simply weren't as professional as a club such as Altona. You could tell the differences when we were playing them.

My memory of ANBY apart from the year we made it to the grand final was having quite a few highly talented guys on our team (Stevie McAnaulty, Dillion Jones, Peter Jasky, Shaun O'Keefe, Bradley Gatt, Danny Rowlands, Shaun Derritch, Adrian Scoots ,etc.) in my age group but still only managing on average around 12-14 players most weekends and having to nab several from the other team.

I wish I had have gone to a real club to play, but it was the local club and so I had no choice but to play there. Not that I was any good, but that's beside the point.

luke phipps.........ahhhhh what a dud........im still around beazer boy........played with luke at d/p never played anby though the group of nigel hill n co did though......lee macdonald.......

and remember lining up against shaun derritch who played for seddon.......

my opinion anby were riff raff too much trouble reason's why they got kicked out of the fdfl........

The last straw was when some local hoods decided to attack the coaching staff of the ANBY Under 14's team (I think) during a game. It was an attempt to settle an old dispute that originated from the streets of Newport/Altona North. A very ugly scene and entirely started by people outside of the club.
The club was quite a good one until the early to mid 90's when a lack of players and an ageing population meant that some troublesome players were allowed to remain at the club. So I guess this is where you get the 'riff raff' from.
They've been playing rugby on the ground for a long time but council has left the old footy goal posts up. The old clubrooms are being replaced at the moment.

The last straw was when some local hoods decided to attack the coaching staff of the ANBY Under 14's team (I think) during a game. It was an attempt to settle an old dispute that originated from the streets of Newport/Altona North. A very ugly scene and entirely started by people outside of the club.
The club was quite a good one until the early to mid 90's when a lack of players and an ageing population meant that some troublesome players were allowed to remain at the club. So I guess this is where you get the 'riff raff' from.
They've been playing rugby on the ground for a long time but council has left the old footy goal posts up. The old clubrooms are being replaced at the moment.

also an incident in which a sent off player come back onto the field and threw boots and connected into a little scuffle between 2 players....the crowd and all got involved machetti's were produced from anby supporters....i seen it the game hence the term ''riff raff''game was called off police had to come to difuse the situation and make sure the opposition players/family's left safely...........

not a good thing.......

also an incident in which a sent off player come back onto the field and threw boots and connected into a little scuffle between 2 players....the crowd and all got involved machetti's were produced from anby supporters....i seen it the game hence the term ''riff raff''game was called off police had to come to difuse the situation and make sure the opposition players/family's left safely...........

not a good thing.......

Perhaps two differing versions of the same event. Did you see anyone violently demand the tape of the game from the bloke videoing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps two differing versions of the same event. Did you see anyone violently demand the tape of the game from the bloke videoing?

there was no video of the game......im sure anby wouldnt have had a camera and deer park definately didnt have 1........must be 2 different incidents we are talking about.........:thumbsu:

I remember an incident in my team (I'll leave the player nameless) got kicked off the ground for harrassing the umpire and proceeded to yell at his mother to get the club lock (which she DID) and it went a bit further.

There were some crazy incidents in the year or two after we our under 12s and 14s (or 11s and 13s) lost to Altona City (and I think Deer Park) in the Grand Finals down at St Albans on a mud heap (most of our guns were tiny speedsters and the ground being so bad flowered us).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back