Betstar Champions Cup Om season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably more good for the league than good for the club. Been good for the league to have a high profile outspoken coach who generates publicity and interest but not sure how good it has been for the club.

Fair point. Looking from afar it's hard to judge although they were about rooted the year he took the job on and they went fairly well. On another note would Dan Leslie be getting sick of having to hold the joint together?

Yeah it certainly looked promising for awhile but they fell away last year and have lost key players again this year and it looks like they might struggle. Right about Leslie, they will be hoping that someone of his standing can unite the club and attract some players to the club.

The writing was on the wall when Akermanis was largely AWOL before Christmas
More to the point the die was cast when he wanted three more years as coach and only got one
No escaping the fact Akermanis couldn't keep players, particularly players aged 25 plus, which is absolulutely critical in country footy.
There is no draft to keep topping up the list at the end of each season
The timing of his departure is curious and there is little to no chance of Leslie/Gilson picking up players at this late stage. Recruiting is a 12-month job and the coach drives that. Relying on players to come up with names for the coach to contact just doesn;t cut it.
Two obvious contenders to return could be Josh and Ben Lloyd, who along with their father, had a massive falling out with Aker a couple of years ago.
They want to play together as they did at Thurgoona and some clubs have been keen to recruit Ben, but not Josh.

Last edited:

I was of the understanding the Lyolld boys were off to Panther park?
I think that was one case of they wanted Ben but not Josh. I think there are a lot of relieved North Albury people right now. Supporters were definatley getting jack of player after player leaving. As for the new coaches, there is not a more respected person in the history of the club than Dan Leslie, loved by all and respected throughout country football. Clint Gilson muched loved by all at the club, a terrific person and a wealth of knowledge when it comes to coaching.Two fantastic choices that will mould this group and club back together. 2017 will be a head start on 2018. Plus the club is debt free for the first time in a long time, hats of to the committee and hard working people who have made this possible.

The writing was on the wall when Akermanis was largely AWOL before Christmas
More to the point the die was cast when he wanted three more years as coach and only got one
No escaping the fact Akermanis couldn't keep players, particularly players aged 25 plus, which is absolulutely critical in country footy.
There is no draft to keep topping up the list at the end of each season
The timing of his departure is curious and there is little to no chance of Leslie/Gilson picking up players at this late stage. Recruiting is a 12-month job and the coach drives that. Relying on players to come up with names for the coach to contact just doesn;t cut it.
Two obvious contenders to return could be Josh and Ben Lloyd, who along with their father, had a massive falling out with Aker a couple of years ago.
They want to play together as they did at Thurgoona and some clubs have been keen to recruit Ben, but not Josh.
You're from the border mail aren't you.

Noticed with interest this story on BM website tonight. http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/4402036/son-of-a-gun/?cs=10
Another import at Raiders. High points for a player who on face value is not a superstar. Fifth in his club best and fairest in a comp considered inferior to OM.
Unless Cressa has lost some players we don't know about yet, the faders will once again be over the player points cap this year.
Begs the question is their a disconnect between the footy department and the club administration which would have to be aware of the current operating evironment (points and salary cap) and would be applying the brakes to the coach on this recruiting strategy.
At a guess Raiders' best side would be over 40 points with Filo, Baird and now Kelly all high point players.
Even the loss of a couple of Hetas don't create a lot of points space
Something not quite rite at Birallee Park,
Strong rumours over the weekend points may be alleviated with the loss of a high profile mid and the two Flagg brothers. Also heard Prior may be a non starter at Lavington, Asaike not returning and Hodgkin to return to Bulldogs. Not sure of legitality of all or any, but that was some word on the street.

Strong rumours over the weekend points may be alleviated with the loss of a high profile mid and the two Flagg brothers. Also heard Prior may be a non starter at Lavington, Asaike not returning and Hodgkin to return to Bulldogs. Not sure of legitality of all or any, but that was some word on the street.
Word on the street has Big Addsy shopping himself around.

Nah mate
Nah mate. Just a free spirit with an ear for what is happening. Also just trying to inject some life into this dull comp we have ATM
BTW the strike rate on what is happening isn't bad if I don't mind saying so myself
Stay tuned

Prior and O'Halpin both confirmed signed and sealed at Panthers and Tigers- false alarm.

Aker exit was bad news for Corowa-Rutherglen which was circling around the Lloyd bros when other clubs only wanted the younger one but not Josh.
A case of buyer beware with the older Lloyd who wanted way over what he is really worth.
Weird set-up with the old man doing all the wheeling and dealing
On the subject of mercenaries, Flagg looking set to staying at Raiders when only a week ago he and his bro looked out the door.
Raiders have played hard ball and all indications they are staying put.
Complicating factor for Raiders is the older one, Adam, is still a high pointer and Raiders won't get their best side on the park if all the recruits they've signed are senior material.
The only one of any value is Mark Doolan coming back.
Also, little whisper doing rounds the younger Neagle has a crook ankle and will be touch and go for R1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know any of the Lloyds, but what is wrong with the oldest one?
From reading everyone's comments, it seems like the youngest one is a superstar, & the other two are holding him back?

Aker exit was bad news for Corowa-Rutherglen which was circling around the Lloyd bros when other clubs only wanted the younger one but not Josh.
A case of buyer beware with the older Lloyd who wanted way over what he is really worth.
Weird set-up with the old man doing all the wheeling and dealing
On the subject of mercenaries, Flagg looking set to staying at Raiders when only a week ago he and his bro looked out the door.
Raiders have played hard ball and all indications they are staying put.
Complicating factor for Raiders is the older one, Adam, is still a high pointer and Raiders won't get their best side on the park if all the recruits they've signed are senior material.
The only one of any value is Mark Doolan coming back.
Also, little whisper doing rounds the younger Neagle has a crook ankle and will be touch and go for R1.
What happened to Filo at Raiders? He would be value wouldn't he? I remember Flagg wanted more money when he was at Lavington a few years ago and they said no. History there.

I don't know any of the Lloyds, but what is wrong with the oldest one?
From reading everyone's comments, it seems like the youngest one is a superstar, & the other two are holding him back?
Josh hasn't been the same since injuring his knee. Tim is the father so would want what's best for both boys I'd say

What happened to Filo at Raiders? He would be value wouldn't he? I remember Flagg wanted more money when he was at Lavington a few years ago and they said no. History there.
Am talking value of being low points player. Filo at the other end of the scale. But going to be a gun and looking forward to watching him in action.

Hearing numbers have increased dramatically at Bunton park since Leslie and Gilson have taken the reigns. Hearing the Lloyd brothers are back training at north, I wonder who else they will try and lure back?or is it to late for that now?
It seems all Creswell is good at is splashing the cash, there approach over the last few seasons is really going to bite them on the arse in my opinion.
Martin Brennan to Lavington, very handy pick up for the panthers.

Hearing numbers have increased dramatically at Bunton park since Leslie and Gilson have taken the reigns. Hearing the Lloyd brothers are back training at north, I wonder who else they will try and lure back?or is it to late for that now?
It seems all Creswell is good at is splashing the cash, there approach over the last few seasons is really going to bite them on the arse in my opinion.
Martin Brennan to Lavington, very handy pick up for the panthers.
Kid with a hyphenated name that went to Qld also back. Nth must have paid the $600 JL was after.

Any more current predictions for the ladder so far? From what I've heard it could be very tight for the wooden spoon between North, Corowa & Rovers. Seems like Wodonga are a step ahead of these 3 clubs at this stage of the year with some great youth coming through.

Any more current predictions for the ladder so far? From what I've heard it could be very tight for the wooden spoon between North, Corowa & Rovers. Seems like Wodonga are a step ahead of these 3 clubs at this stage of the year with some great youth coming through.
Albury
Yarrawonga
Lavington
Myrtleford
Wangaratta

Wodonga
Raiders
Nth Albury
Rovers
Corowa

Albury still clearly ahead of the rest. The inclusion of Whiley to Yarra is huge, absolute ball winning machine. Expect 3rd to be close either lavi or Myrtleford. Lavi have pick up pace which they dearly needed but have lost a lot of experience, still a top team imo. Looking forward to seeing myrtleford in action in what should be a very exciting year for that club.Wangaratta are simply better than why they have produce in last few seasons, strong list and if Newton stays fit I can't see them missing the 5. Wodonga could easily play finals this year along with the raiders, unfortunatly there is only so many you can fit in the top 5. Will be tight from at the top through to 7th I think. Expect North Albury to pick up a few late signatures to have them somewhat competitive. Things are looking a lot better at hopper land now than a month ago.i don't think there will be much between them and rovers. I still think Corowa will battle, have picked up 1 gun who won't play for 8 weeks, don't think his mates are much good.lost svarc to the VFL which hurts.

Albury
Yarrawonga
Lavington
Myrtleford
Wangaratta

Wodonga
Raiders
Nth Albury
Rovers
Corowa

Albury still clearly ahead of the rest. The inclusion of Whiley to Yarra is huge, absolute ball winning machine. Expect 3rd to be close either lavi or Myrtleford. Lavi have pick up pace which they dearly needed but have lost a lot of experience, still a top team imo. Looking forward to seeing myrtleford in action in what should be a very exciting year for that club.Wangaratta are simply better than why they have produce in last few seasons, strong list and if Newton stays fit I can't see them missing the 5. Wodonga could easily play finals this year along with the raiders, unfortunatly there is only so many you can fit in the top 5. Will be tight from at the top through to 7th I think. Expect North Albury to pick up a few late signatures to have them somewhat competitive. Things are looking a lot better at hopper land now than a month ago.i don't think there will be much between them and rovers. I still think Corowa will battle, have picked up 1 gun who won't play for 8 weeks, don't think his mates are much good.lost svarc to the VFL which hurts.
I like your prediction but think Wang will play to potential and finish 4th. Myrtleford need to find a goal kicker to replace the 40 odd that Burgess kicked last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back