Home & Garden Open fireplace regulations?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure if I'll get any responses to this but I had no idea what other forums to post in so here goes..

Does anyone know if it is legal in Victoria to build open fireplaces in your home? Not talking about those wood heater things with the glass door, I mean a proper old school open fireplace with hearth, chimney, the works.

I was sure you couldn't build them any more, but the wife reckons you can. So I did a bit of googling but haven't been able to find a definitive answer (at least not without wading through pages of building regs, thought I'd try this first lol). Some pages I found kinda read like you can still build them, does anyone know more?

Not sure if I'll get any responses to this but I had no idea what other forums to post in so here goes..

Does anyone know if it is legal in Victoria to build open fireplaces in your home? Not talking about those wood heater things with the glass door, I mean a proper old school open fireplace with hearth, chimney, the works.

I was sure you couldn't build them any more, but the wife reckons you can. So I did a bit of googling but haven't been able to find a definitive answer (at least not without wading through pages of building regs, thought I'd try this first lol). Some pages I found kinda read like you can still build them, does anyone know more?

Think your best bet is to ring your local council. Useless bunch of bastards but they should know the answer considering this sort of renovation would presumably require a permit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back