Toast Open Mike - Martin Pike

Remove this Banner Ad

Great player, great interview, we need more characters like him.

So is it safe to assume Aker leaked the headbutting story?

If it wasn't for his bad reputation during his playing days I reckon Pike would be a great development coach or welfare officer.

Thanks for the upload PattyK:thumbsu:

Like Tfactor said, we need more characters like him. Great interview. You can tell he's a decent bloke. Can't believe he was getting paid so little. Like he said, if it wasn't for his reputation he would have been paid a fair whack more. Would have thought he would have been on around 300k a year.

I suspect there were very few of our players getting the money they should've been.

Interesting to see McRae basically say that he wouldn't do it any different if he had his time over. The price he and many teammates were happy to pay for team success.

Interesting to see McRae basically say that he wouldn't do it any different if he had his time over. The price he and many teammates were happy to pay for team success.

And Pikey also said he would have played for less. Just shows you what's possible when a group stays together and they're all driven by the same goal. Sure the same thing happened with Geelong too, probably all great teams have similar stories.

Still love Pikey. I had only just started to take notice of the Lions back then (and AFL as a sport TBH), but i always liked Pike. Was hard, never took a backwards step and seemed to be the ultimate utility, playing all over the field.

Yeah one of my favourites. What gets forgotten with the big hard man image was that Pikey was actually a very, very clever footballer - just a really smart mover on the field.

Great player with CHARACTER...not many left (Browny). One of the least complex players going around (actually can't think of many footy players who are genuinely complex...many think they are). What you saw was what you got.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of them would do it any different....nevertheless, some seem to have got quite a bit less than you would think elite and decorated players as they were at the time, would get paid..

..I always knew that they took pay cuts etc...but geez, who WAS getting all the money???

Interview was great. Loved the way Pikey just calmly but forcefully put across his opinion. No taking hostages.

Was one of my favourite footballers. I was at the Fitzroy Town Hall the night Pikey won the Fitzroy Best and Fairest....the noise of everyone banging their feet on the wooden floors was amazing!!!

Have seen Pikey a few times out and about...at a local building site where he was working and at the footy....always happy to say a hello and give a nod.

None of them would do it any different....nevertheless, some seem to have got quite a bit less than you would think elite and decorated players as they were at the time, would get paid..

..I always knew that they took pay cuts etc...but geez, who WAS getting all the money???

Voss, Black, Aker, Power, Lappin, Johnson, Lynch and Leppitsch I'd say would have been getting the most.

MM, I'm not sure what your PC skills are like, but last year I did a little excercise around the salary cap. Amazingly I used $3k per game as a rate which at 22 x 22 = $1.452M. The rest you get to spread amongst the list. It's an interesting little excercise and you will be scared who gets what.

Thanks PattyK I tried to IQ it but failed for some reason!!!! Much appreciated!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back