FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

BT should’ve been one of the better Open Mike episodes, but Sheahan’s patented interviewing weaknesses made it less interesting than it should’ve been.

Why on earth take 2-3 minutes debating how BT says Orazio Fantasia, or get BT to watch a lengthy montage of his own commentary? Just wasted time.

Also thought Mike was pretty soft on BT’s p***ter Harry Taylor comment, letting him fall back on the old ‘political correctness gone mad’ mantra. I don’t think that derogatory term has suddenly become unacceptable in the last couple of years, it’s been unacceptable for several decades which is why it was such a shock when BT said it.

When they finally got to BT’s playing career there were some interesting segments like the messy saga surrounding missing the 1982 Grand Final (would’ve liked to have heard what BT thought of Francis Bourke as a coach in that saga) and Collingwood originally only planning to play him in MCG finals in 1990 than reversing their decision, but a lot of interesting topics were missed.

When BT talked about how Alan Bond’s son tried to entice him back to Richmond with a blank cheque, had to laugh when they cut back to Mike and it looked as if his tongue was about to hit the floor.

BT should’ve been one of the better Open Mike episodes, but Sheahan’s patented interviewing weaknesses made it less interesting than it should’ve been.

Why on earth take 2-3 minutes debating how BT says Orazio Fantasia, or get BT to watch a lengthy montage of his own commentary? Just wasted time.

Also thought Mike was pretty soft on BT’s p***ter Harry Taylor comment, letting him fall back on the old ‘political correctness gone mad’ mantra. I don’t think that derogatory term has suddenly become unacceptable in the last couple of years, it’s been unacceptable for several decades which is why it was such a shock when BT said it.

When they finally got to BT’s playing career there were some interesting segments like the messy saga surrounding missing the 1982 Grand Final (would’ve liked to have heard what BT thought of Francis Bourke as a coach in that saga) and Collingwood originally only planning to play him in MCG finals in 1990 than reversing their decision, but a lot of interesting topics were missed.

When BT talked about how Alan Bond’s son tried to entice him back to Richmond with a blank cheque, had to laugh when they cut back to Mike and it looked as if his tongue was about to hit the floor.

Agree 100%

Should have begun with his playing career and then focused on his transition to the media. How did it happen?
What was it like crossing sides and now having the media as colleagues?
What does he think of the media's role in the game vis a vis the players and fans?
What about media cliques? How is TV different to radio?
What are his thoughts on how the media operate in 2017 vs how it was when he was a player?
How does he think he would fared as a player in the modern game being a professional player?
Would he have preferred to stay in WA and play for Dockers/Eagles?

A person such as BT can provide real insights but gets bogged down as Mike wants to focus on the simplistic tabloid stuff.

Going into such minutiae about not playing in Grand Finals and flogging that dead horse is just a waste.

Anyone watch the Kevin Sheedy 50 years in football special? I did and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've always been a Sheeds fan and for a bloke who's been in the game for half a century, including a 27 year stint as a senior coach, it's still easy to think his contributions to the game are still somehow understated.

Anyone watch the Kevin Sheedy 50 years in football special? I did and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've always been a Sheeds fan and for a bloke who's been in the game for half a century, including a 27 year stint as a senior coach, it's still easy to think his contributions to the game are still somehow understated.

I think it was good but to be honest was more This is Your Life

Would he have asked about Derek Kickett? The Grand Final losses(especially 1990)? The one point losses in finals?
It seemed a bit too gushing, celebratory and fanboy for that.
They spoke about him potentially going to the Tigers but what about him going to the Swans? Didn't the Doctor throw some serious bitcoin his way?

Maybe if they had made it 3-4 parts they could have gone through it all, the good, the bad and the ugly.

I know this has been brought up before, but what is with Sheehan's obession with bringing up the Abletts at every oppurtunity. Particularlly with players who had next to nothing to do with either of them.

The other thing Sheedy would be just about the best person to answer is how the game has changed from being a suburban amateur sport to being a professional hundred million dollar industry.
Also would have liked some insight from him about the 1995 final against Richmond.

Sorry to be a broken record here but thinking about it more, find it strange he wouldn't have asked Sheedy what it was like to coach against Tom Hafey. Ask him about Leigh Matthews!!! All of his Grand Final losses as a coach were against Leigh Matthews as a player or coach...

I know this has been brought up before, but what is with Sheehan's obession with bringing up the Abletts at every oppurtunity. Particularlly with players who had next to nothing to do with either of them.
Sometimes he even does it multiple times in the same interview. Think he did this in the Fletcher one and didn't realise until Fletch gave him pretty much exactly the same answer.

Mike has such a weird obsession with money and how much players were earning back in the day.

Yep. Just re watched the Dennis Pagan one. He asked him how much he got at both North and Carlton and Pagan just said none of your business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, want a Legend or 2 in the SANFL to get on there Such as Dave Granger, Gary McIntosh or Barry Robran

McIntosh and Robran would be something I'd watch as I know nothing about them other than fragments of what I've seen, heard and read.

Grave Danger, it depends if he's breaking the law or not.

I wonder if Max Basheer would get a go.

McIntosh and Robran would be something I'd watch as I know nothing about them other than fragments of what I've seen, heard and read.

Grave Danger, it depends if he's breaking the law or not.

I wonder if Max Basheer would get a go.

"So Garry/Barrie/Max, why didn't you ever come to Victoria?"
"So David, why did you leave Victoria?"

Max Basheer would be one for Whateley to do instead of Sheahan, unless it was a one hour show. Max has most of the inside goss on the SANFL and the bids to get an SA team in

Max also could talk about the fight to keep SA out of the expanded VFL, but is his audience mature enough to appreciate anything but Victorian footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back