FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't get the satisfied clients before the self promotion so it's not a key pillar. That's an outcome.
He doesn't need the self promotion so much any more when he's grown his client list from 0 to 100 and increasing. Keeping his existing clients happy has led to more business. Word of mouth. Sales though Delivery. i.e Delivering well leads to increased sales.

And if you think customer satisfaction is not key pillar for a successful business then I would advise you not to go into business as it won't last long.

Well I've never considered player agents to be the complete scumbags that others seem to, so I guess my opinion of people like Connors hasn't changed.

Although it's not news, I guess it's kind of interesting to consider that someone like Dawson Simpson even has an agent. I mean, with all due respect, when he doesn't have a contract to negotiate what use does he (or probably 400 other AFL listed players) have with an agent? Now that would be an interesting discussion: what an agent, employed by the Dawson Simpsons of the AFL actually has to do.

You don't get the satisfied clients before the self promotion so it's not a key pillar. That's an outcome.

Self-Promotion is just the start. If you can't deliver it isn't worth much, especially in a small industry where players are bound to talk to each other. A high degree of satisfaction in that case probably negates the need for much promotion at all.

Well I've never considered player agents to be the complete scumbags that others seem to, so I guess my opinion of people like Connors hasn't changed.

Although it's not news, I guess it's kind of interesting to consider that someone like Dawson Simpson even has an agent. I mean, with all due respect, when he doesn't have a contract to negotiate what use does he (or probably 400 other AFL listed players) have with an agent? Now that would be an interesting discussion: what an agent, employed by the Dawson Simpsons of the AFL actually has to do.
He did say that different players have different needs. Simpson has less needs than a Dangerfield. Which probably makes you question his flat fee structure, if he indeed sticks to it.

I guess he would have signed with one upon being drafted and has viewed it as a necessity ever since. Not that I have any idea of what goes on behind closed doors, but who knows how much having that professional relationship helped him get the gig at GWS and how his off field life has benefited from assistance. Have heard that some agents are excellent life mentors who can provide financial guidance & help open pathways in other areas, others I guess focus more on the footy. But doubt any can afford the kind of reputation of ignoring their "lower value" players or lack personal touch as draftees and those in the industry would no doubt hear of any discontent and would quickly find themselves on the outer.

If anyone listens to podcasts, the new Talking Footy podcasts are superb. Kind of like an Open Mike interview, except without all the money talk or just focusing on controversial things for 20 mins etc.

Always have a different interviewer each week as well which keeps it from getting stale imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you took out the questions about Dustin Martin, the Benny Gale one would have lasted three minutes :/
There is what to ask him - how his experiences as a player impact his decisions he makes now.
How going in to bat as the CEO differs to being a player.
Etc, etc.

Found the questions about his dad just unnecessary, crass and tactless.

If you took out the questions about Dustin Martin, the Benny Gale one would have lasted three minutes :/
There is what to ask him - how his experiences as a player impact his decisions he makes now.
Etc, etc.

Mike gets by on his rep as a distinguished footy journo.....However....An adept interviewer he is not.

You can't really expect a footy journo to have a cultivated sense & depth of feeling for human insight.

Etc, etc.

Yeah, the dad question was random.

Big fan of Gale though, he speaks very well and had obviously done a good job.

Gale ep was the first Open Mike I’ve watched for a while in full and it had all the same issues that’s turned me off the series in the first place.

Biggest problem I had with this ep was lack of in-depth discussion about his Richmond career. Why did Richmond fall away after their 1995 prelim? How did he rate coaches like Walls and Geischen? Would things have been different had Northey not left? His reflections on the culture of the club while played there? None of this was even touched.

Instead, we got yawnworthy questions about Martin that Gale was inevitably going to give diplomatic non-answers to that are now already redundant that he’s staying with the club. That’s one of the biggest problems with the show; how Mike asks questions as if it’s a current topical news interview and not an overview of someone’s career.

As for Gale’s music career, an amusing anecdote but took up far too much time in the episode.

There were a couple of interesting bits; I didn’t realise Gale actually wanted to play on in 2002 (cue Mike drooling over money issues) but this was again a missed opportunity.

Mike continually asks the wrong questions. If I was running a show like this, I'd ask the viewers to send me in their questions and get the answers that the people want, not what Mike thinks they want.

As for Gale’s music career, an amusing anecdote but took up far too much time in the episode.
Maybe it's the muso in me but I didn't mind that bit. Made him more "human". Some good trivia to know that he played in front of the 4th largest crowd ever at the MCG, and they had gigs at the Tunnel. I didn't know that.

If anyone listens to podcasts, the new Talking Footy podcasts are superb. Kind of like an Open Mike interview, except without all the money talk or just focusing on controversial things for 20 mins etc.

Always have a different interviewer each week as well which keeps it from getting stale imo.
Cheers. Only 2 of them on soundcloud, but they are all on PlayerFM

Don't have another player agent on Mike. Leeches and coat tuggers, all of them.

Agree that the show should not focus on current events (the Martin contract), but should be a historical overview of the player's career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back