FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Enjoyed tonight. Love the rat as a player, enjoyed listening to him speak.

One thing I've noticed, and actually enjoy about the interstaters, is the fact most wanted to play 100games at their respective sanfl/wafl teams before coming to Victoria.
Now I may well be out of place and it may well be loyalty to their club but there was also the SA Retention Scheme that paid out for xx amount of games played in SA

20ca929f04782a29cdb775090126e7f2.jpg

What’s with the get up on the Fitzroy bloke?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Michael Reeves is the Fitzroy players name. Apparently he was prone to severe bruising on his legs, so wore padding under the knee length shorts.
Reeves is also known for having been knocked out by Dipper in the 1986 Prelim Final, which was also his wedding day! Fitzroy getting that far was a big surprise to most, including Reeves who apparently assumed their season would be over by then.

Michael Reeves. He had an issue with chronic corkies due to bruising easily. The pants were approved by the VFL on medical advice, and they are a pair of cut down official VFL team trackie dacks.

Michael Reeves is the Fitzroy players name. Apparently he was prone to severe bruising on his legs, so wore padding under the knee length shorts.
Reeves is also known for having been knocked out by Dipper in the 1986 Prelim Final, which was also his wedding day! Fitzroy getting that far was a big surprise to most, including Reeves who apparently assumed their season would be over by then.

Even in the 1980s Essendon couldn't win in the rain (it lost the Elimination Final to Fitzroy in the wet)

Rat was one of my favorite non-Essendon players, he was just a brilliant ball player that never stopped running and lovely disposal which played a big part in Jason's 1254 or so goal tally.

Skimmed over his central district days, how he went back there in 99, how big the crows cheque book was when knuckles and cornesy came knocking - rats thoughts after crows pumped Hawks in their first game. Plus more on Hawks post 91 and how it nearly got to a demons merger despite the 4 premierships in his first 6 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That , plugger, ablett snr would be the 3 big ones, wont ever get them i suspect,

Oh and carey but he seems clear he wont ever

i think carey is a possibility. it would seem like they can tell mike what they will and won't discuss. Carey might do it to rehabilitate his image too. I think it will happen eventually.

From what i've heard Ablett Snr wouldn't be that good to interview anyway.

Ie: Platten from last night had a kid who was born outside his marriage that wasn't even touched on.

After what he did to Carlton, id say its more this

$20 in what? 1980 isn't exactly small change. Basically close to 100k in todays money that Platten just pocketed. I mean sure if you can get away with it but pretty dodgy.

was interesting he said he supported Carlton but then absolutely dogged them because he thought the Hawks were a better opportunity. I can only assume they were paying him more $$$.

$20 in what? 1980 isn't exactly small change. Basically close to 100k in todays money that Platten just pocketed. I mean sure if you can get away with it but pretty dodgy.

was interesting he said he supported Carlton but then absolutely dogged them because he thought the Hawks were a better opportunity. I can only assume they were paying him more $$$.

Was under contract at hawthorn when Carlton signed him. The story goes carlton told him his contract with hawthorn had expired. Hawthorn obviously disagreed and took it to court. The judge found in hawthorns favour

Libba loved scratching guys platten was a champ
The rat used to own a pub in the city called Xanis in the late 80's / early 90's. I used to go there when I had had a few. I asked him who the toughest opponent he had played on and he said "Tony Liberatore, he never knew when he was beaten. " Platten was a star. Liberatore was a battler who gave it and he copped it back just as good. Give him some credit.

The rat used to own a pub in the city called Xanis in the late 80's / early 90's. I used to go there when I had had a few. I asked him who the toughest opponent he had played on and he said "Tony Liberatore, he never knew when he was beaten. " Platten was a star. Liberatore was a battler who gave it and he copped it back just as good. Give him some credit.[/QUOTE he got the most out of himself libba he wasn't the most skilful

A Peter Brock Commodore would be the SS of today etc.

I have heard of other SA footballers pocketing ''signing bonus'' money with no intention of ever going across.

If you listened he said Matthews had retired which meant he could be the #1 rover at Hawthorn.

I thought it was ok.
Curious why he only barely touched on him winning the Brownlow.

The thing I would have been interested in hearing is that he played for an incredibly dominant club that was absolutely star-studded. It then went 17 years without a flag and is now back with a vengeance.

What does he think when he looks at the Hawks of today? Which of the 2008-14 Hawks would have made the Hawks side of the 80s? Or vice versa.

Which player of today does he most closely identify with?

If you listened he said Matthews had retired which meant he could be the #1 rover at Hawthorn.
Matthews had been more a permanent forward than rover from about '82 onwards; Richard Loveridge was Hawthorn's first rover when Platten was lured across.
Him and Naley would have been behind Williams? Was he still at Carlton then?
Williams didn't join Carlton until 1992. If Platten had gone to Carlton he would have been battling Rod Ashman, who was on his last legs, and the likes of Alex Marcou, Jim Buckley, Ken Sheldon and Fraser Murphy. Mark Naley came over to Victoria the following year (1987).

Surprised to see that John Platten was never made South Australian captain despite his long record when playing for SA in State of Origin football during the 1980s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back