FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was ok.
Curious why he only barely touched on him winning the Brownlow.

The thing I would have been interested in hearing is that he played for an incredibly dominant club that was absolutely star-studded. It then went 17 years without a flag and is now back with a vengeance.

What does he think when he looks at the Hawks of today? Which of the 2008-14 Hawks would have made the Hawks side of the 80s? Or vice versa.

Which player of today does he most closely identify with?

I only saw part of the episode but the reason those issues weren’t covered seemed to be because Mike seemed focussed on – you guessed it – money.

Went on and on about Platten’s money dealings with Carlton which was an interesting topic tbc but took an inordinate amount of the episode, especially for someone who had as terrific a career as Platten did.

Unless it was brought up in the first half (which I doubt), surprised Platten’s departure from Hawthorn wasn’t brought up; iirc he was basically pushed out reluctantly.

seemed like BS, he would have been the no.1 at Carlton too. Plus he supported Carlton.

He was tied to us on a form 4 which Carlton tried to scupper....The courts decided in our favor in the end, as the Blues attempts to snag him from under our noses, fell within the time constraints & confines of said prior contractual agreement.

Rats recollection was somewhat askew & hazy around those events at the time....His lawyer & agent could supply a more accurate summation.

He was tied to us on a form 4 which Carlton tried to scupper....The courts decided in our favor in the end, as the Blues attempts to snag him from under our noses, fell within the time constraints & confines of said prior contractual agreement.

Rats recollection was somewhat askew & hazy around those events at the time....His lawyer & agent could supply a more accurate summation.

in that case he should have just said that, seems fair enough. Carlton tried to break a contract with a financial incentive which didn't work.

I only saw part of the episode but the reason those issues weren’t covered seemed to be because Mike seemed focussed on – you guessed it – money.

Went on and on about Platten’s money dealings with Carlton which was an interesting topic tbc but took an inordinate amount of the episode, especially for someone who had as terrific a career as Platten did.

Unless it was brought up in the first half (which I doubt), surprised Platten’s departure from Hawthorn wasn’t brought up; iirc he was basically pushed out reluctantly.

He comes to Hawthorn and wins a flag in his first year; three in his first four.
Only plays in four finals after the 91 flag and they lose all four.

The only other premiership players left in Platten's last game were Langford and Pritchard and it was also their last game. Really was end of an era.

What was it like to play in an amazing side with the likes of Dipper, Dunstall, Ayres, Tuck, Brereton, etc,etc, etc and end up playing with the likes of Aaron Lord, Brendan Krummel and Jon Hassall??

The rat used to own a pub in the city called Xanis in the late 80's / early 90's. I used to go there when I had had a few.
He also used to either own or be part owner of the Prince Alfred Hotel (PA's) in Grattan Street Carlton in the mid to late 90s. Spent many a night there as a uni student. The Rat was there occasionally, some times helping out behind the bar and mingling with patrons. I never spoke with him, but he seemed like a good bloke at the time.

Really enjoyed the Rat's ep last night. Just reinforces to me that the eps with older players and footy figures have been the more enjoyable ones this year.

Great player and seems like a good bloke, confident in himself without being arrogant. I did lose a bit of respect for him though when he took Carlton's money on what appeared to be the expectation that he would play for them, and then didn't pay it back when he snubbed them. Not a good look for integrity and ethics.

Really enjoyed the Rat's ep last night. Just reinforces to me that the eps with older players and footy figures have been the more enjoyable ones this year.

Great player and seems like a good bloke, confident in himself without being arrogant. I did lose a bit of respect for him though when he took Carlton's money on what appeared to be the expectation that he would play for them, and then didn't pay it back when he snubbed them. Not a good look for integrity and ethics.

My memory is that this was settled out of court and his new employer might have paid the money back on his behalf.

Still a bit of a dog act though that he took their money and had no intention of paying it back himself. And clearly Carlton thought they were stiffed if they took him to court to get their money back.

Mate, you can't be serious.....It's Collins & Elliott we're talking about here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the Connors one last night. Fmd he's got a tongue like a gecko! Always licking his lips and flicking it out. Thought Mike was going to explode in his pants and get out the calculator with all the questions about how much whoever was getting paid he could ask.

So essentially just a 30 minute advertisement for his company. The only interesting story was the call he got from Gaz about Judd which was about 30 seconds and they'd already spoken about it on 360 anyway. Yawn.

The really interesting questions for Paul Connors would have been regarding lifestyle pressures for current day players. Player managers currently need good pastoral skills to deal with player depression, recreational and painkilling drug use, transition into retirement etc. Instead Mike's eyes light up when he gets to ask how much Luke Hodge made on his first contract (spoiler alert, Iron Mike - AFL players sign AFLPA-agreed game and retainer contracts when they're drafted, so it's never very interesting).

As an aside, Paul organised my work experience at Flying Start when I was at school. I was due to start on 13 September 1999, but when I got there he'd left and there was no one assigned to supervise my week. Consequently I never got to meet him. Now I know just how bitter the split was!

Watched the Connors one last night. Fmd he's got a tongue like a gecko! Always licking his lips and flicking it out. Thought Mike was going to explode in his pants and get out the calculator with all the questions about how much whoever was getting paid he could ask.

So essentially just a 30 minute advertisement for his company. The only interesting story was the call he got from Gaz about Judd which was about 30 seconds and they'd already spoken about it on 360 anyway. Yawn.

I didn't mind it, liked how he made mention the importance of his staff and the relationship they have with his clients.

Moneybags Sheehan unfortunately just wanted to focus on the money aspect and Danger, Hodgey & Judd.

For all the times we've bemoaned that an Open Mike episode only went for 30 minutes, that was an example of a good candidate for an Open Mike Short, where it could have been done in 10-15, or combined with another agent (besides Pickering and Nixon, who could command a full episode). Mike was just killing time with the Josh Kelly questions at the end, how are they going to yield anything interesting?

When it comes to agents, they're behind the scenes in ways many don't appreciate.
If a commentator, coach and player all have the same agent, what sort of impact does this have?
For instance I know of trades of player A to team B because team B coach and player A have the same agent.

In some ways it's not Essendon vs St Kilda vs Hawthorn as much as it's Agent 1 vs Agent 2 vs Agent 3.

I feel dirty, but I suddenly have a new found respect for agents, or at least one of them.

I enjoyed that Connors ep. Seems like a straight up guy, no nonsense. It's no wonder he and Nixon fell out.

Started his business from nothing, and now has 100 players on his books. Good on him.

I feel dirty, but I suddenly have a new found respect for agents, or at least one of them.

I enjoyed that Connors ep. Seems like a straight up guy, no nonsense. It's no wonder he and Nixon fell out.

Started his business from nothing, and now has 100 players on his books. Good on him.
100% this, finished watching it with a very different view on player managers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back