FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the poorer episodes in the series - It was more like a fire-side chat with two guys having a few beers.
Was worse than that. It was more of a circle jerk, particularly when they started talking about Bob's show.
The only part I found interesting was the Paul Roos tattoo story. Apart from that 30 seconds, the rest was crap. One of the worst ever.

Dale Weightman was asked about the 2017 flag and spent 90 percent of the answer talking about Neil Balme.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dale Weightman was asked about the 2017 flag and spent 90 percent of the answer talking about Neil Balme.
Balme was a great pick up our club was in shambles in 2016

Sure, but I suppose I was hoping he would talk about about how the club had been so low for 30 odd years etc. and what it meant to him.
He usually always talks about it. Only caught the end so not sure about what mike asked for the most part

Having Weightman on may make me interested in actually watching an Open Mike this year, although the above doesn't sound promising. Weightman's autobiography was pretty interesting, was explicit on how much he disliked Francis Bourke and actually signed for St Kilda during the 1983 season.

Also, Open Mike failed to get in the Top 20 Pay-TV shows last night (i.e. sub-30K). Even factoring in the Commonwealth Games diversion, interest in it has totally fallen off a cliff this year.

Was hoping this would be the first half decent one this year. The above posts have somewhat deflated that hope.
If you are an older person it is an enjoyable chat.

Its why I call for older players. The discussion on the Diabetes was interesting and it makes it easier to understand the issues McCartin is having as he tries to adjust his body for different playing times. ie Weightman knew every Saturday at 2.20 he had to be ready

As a Grumpy Old Man myself Weightman came across as a hard uncompromising footballer that thinks the modern game is a bit soft and he would love a return to the 'old days'

I enjoyed it.

Stevi_Tigers :D Mike even said something about not liking Richmond and Dale jumped on him straight away :D

The show has jumped the shark. Weightman should have had some ripping stories from his days from the 80s Tigers and playing as much for the Big V. But no. Mike asked the standard questions - what were you offered to play elsewhere? What was your contract? How about the time you were knocked out/knocked someone out/got reported. Then half the show talking about Neil Balme and Dustin Martin. There hasn't been a good episode yet this year.

If you are an older person it is an enjoyable chat.

Its why I call for older players. The discussion on the Diabetes was interesting and it makes it easier to understand the issues McCartin is having as he tries to adjust his body for different playing times. ie Weightman knew every Saturday at 2.20 he had to be ready

As a Grumpy Old Man myself Weightman came across as a hard uncompromising footballer that thinks the modern game is a bit soft and he would love a return to the 'old days'

I enjoyed it.

Stevi_Tigers :D Mike even said something about not liking Richmond and Dale jumped on him straight away :D
He hates us there is a running gag that Graeme Richmond porked his mrs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back