Oppo Camp Opposition Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

I was told by someone very much in the know at Lions that they were quite happy for him to go and that he's a self absorbed narcissist who many found very annoying.
Just what l was told.

If you’ve watched the lions player videos you can see that both he and Zorko have that kind of personality, very jokey but assured smart arsery .some younger players would idolise but others who are a bit more mature get real sick of it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Leapfrogging a couple of weeks here but West Coast were terrible last night, hopefully they bring that sort of attitude when we play them

Leapfrogging a couple of weeks here but West Coast were terrible last night, hopefully they bring that sort of attitude when we play them

With the pressure and intensity we have shown to bring this year and our ability to bring the opposition down to our level and off their game we are going to always be in with a sniff of causing an upset. We will no doubt start to slow down though at some point which is where the big test will be. Hopefully we still have troops able to come in and give us a spark at that point.

With the pressure and intensity we have shown to bring this year and our ability to bring the opposition down to our level and off their game we are going to always be in with a sniff of causing an upset. We will no doubt start to slow down though at some point which is where the big test will be. Hopefully we still have troops able to come in and give us a spark at that point.
Ill be at the game so ill be definitely making my voice heard and cheering the boys on hoping for the upset!

Yep another one that needed to return for ‘family reasons’ BUT it had to be to Collingwood. His family not welcome at the other 10 Vic clubs?

He addressed that saying it’s fair that he could have gone to any club but he only considered Collingwood because it’s the club that drafted him. He never wanted to leave in the first place, and he spent 6 years there so he could not have imagined going anywhere else.

He addressed that saying it’s fair that he could have gone to any club but he only considered Collingwood because it’s the club that drafted him. He never wanted to leave in the first place, and he spent 6 years there so he could not have imagined going anywhere else.

He only considered Collingwood... Isn’t that my point?

Sorry Jen I can't agree with you on this one. He's a Professional footballer but he went home for family reasons and he "only considered Collingwood".

So if his employer at the time said that the deal with C'wood didn't suit them, and no deal could be done, then he would have stayed at Brisbane. I think I've got that right.

So what would have happened to his "family reasons" then. This is one of the problems right now with the AFL. The players, not just Beams, have too much say and can hold their respective Clubs to ransom.

If you're in a Professional sport getting paid big wads of cash, and you want out of a Club, then be professional about it and go to the Club that gives your current employer the best deal.
The Clubs are getting screwed over and over and over.

Sorry Jen I can't agree with you on this one. He's a Professional footballer but he went home for family reasons and he "only considered Collingwood".

So if his employer at the time said that the deal with C'wood didn't suit them, and no deal could be done, then he would have stayed at Brisbane. I think I've got that right.

So what would have happened to his "family reasons" then. This is one of the problems right now with the AFL. The players, not just Beams, have too much say and can hold their respective Clubs to ransom.

If you're in a Professional sport getting paid big wads of cash, and you want out of a Club, then be professional about it and go to the Club that gives your current employer the best deal.
The Clubs are getting screwed over and over and over.

Oh I know. I’m not disagreeing the way it’s done in the AFL. Beams did say that he would have stayed in Brisbane if a deal could not have been made, and would have came back next year. But both clubs did come to an agreement.
I think it comes down to his personal POV. He couldn’t imagine going anywhere else.

Players do have a lot more say than maybe they should have. The players association had a hand in that over the last few years, when they started free agency.

Maybe I am biased because he always felt like a Collingwood player to me whether or not he was in Brisbane, so coming back seems right. He has connections to this club.

Bit different than Tim Kelly waiting to go back to Perth and only nominating eagles. He has no connections to either club but he only said them for whatever reason. Success maybe. Even though the deal didn’t get done.

You're allowed to be biased Jen, that's not a fault. But if he said he'd stay at Brissy if a deal couldn't be done, then using "family reasons" to go back was total BS. If he was genuine in his "family reasons" claim, then any Melbourne Club would have sufficed. But like a lot of players who "want to go back" they use 'family reasons" as a means to get what they want, at the expense of their Employer. Sorry, but I have no time for those mercenary type of players. Ablett is another one.

I actually have to agree with Jen

Beams only went to Brisbane for one reason - to be with his father while he battled cancer. After he passed it would have been very hard given how close they obviously were.

Could he have said ‘trade me to any Victorian club?’ - sure - but Beams isn’t from Victoria, he just loves the club he was drafted to.
I’d think that if Touk did the same to us right now, and had to go back to Victoria because his mother was sick, I’m sure the club and most of us would understand. I don’t think we would be as forgiving if he in a few years under the same circumstance was like, yeah I just want to go to any of the northern clubs, whoever gets you the best deal because we were further up the ladder and couldn’t offer as much to get him back.

Collingwood drafted him, developed him, and he had close relationships with a lot of the current players. I actually think it was very acceptable for him to say i’ll either stay or go to collingwood. The only negative part imo was that he made that stupid speech, which he has said in hindsight he wouldn’t have made had he not recently been told that he would be staying in Brisbane.

Beams only went to Brisbane for one reason - to be with his father while he battled cancer. After he passed it would have been very hard given how close they obviously were.

Could he have said ‘trade me to any Victorian club?’ - sure - but Beams isn’t from Victoria, he just loves the club he was drafted to.
I’d think that if Touk did the same to us right now, and had to go back to Victoria because his mother was sick, I’m sure the club and most of us would understand. I don’t think we would be as forgiving if he in a few years under the same circumstance was like, yeah I just want to go to any of the northern clubs, whoever gets you the best deal because we were further up the ladder and couldn’t offer as much to get him back.

Collingwood drafted him, developed him, and he had close relationships with a lot of the current players. I actually think it was very acceptable for him to say i’ll either stay or go to collingwood. The only negative part imo was that he made that stupid speech, which he has said in hindsight he wouldn’t have made had he not recently been told that he would be staying in Brisbane.

It was his Parents, Mudgeeraba Saints, Southport Sharks and PBC that developed him.
It’s the speech for sure that gets under people’s claw and I can’t stand the Lions.

Fair enough but we'll just have to agree to disagree. If he said I want to go to Collingwood, can we get a deal done. And he went or stayed depending, that's fair enough but to play the "family reasons" card and I'll only consider Collingwood, that's what gets in my craw. That takes away Brisbane's chance of getting fair value. Keep a player who doesn't want to be there or take whatever Collingwood is prepared to pay, so he can get to the Club of his choice. It all favours the player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne now hitting the depths of the ladder. I don't mind at all. Poor Steven May cant escape the bottom 4 :p

They gave away a forward and recruited a defender 🤦‍♀️ they needed someone to replace hogan.

Jen he came back to the GC not Brisbane He was raised on the GC. Played Juniors at Sharks and Saints.
The only reason he went to Collingwood is because the Lions picked Rich and Redden before him in the 2008 draft. He wanted to stay in Queensland.
I don't believe this is true. He could have been a zone selection, but chose to go in to the open draft pool.

I don't believe this is true. He could have been a zone selection, but chose to go in to the open draft pool.

Pretty sure he chose the draft as he wanted the extra year in the AFL rather having to wait another year if he chose the zone selection path as he would of played with the suns 17year olds in the VFL for a year before we came in the AFL.

Crazy to see the Saints are on top of the ladder for the first time since 2010, they are the only team to defeat us which is encouraging given their form so far this year, if we beat Adelaide tomorrow we will be tied 1st position with St Kilda. Crazy!
You confident vs Adelaide , I am not , but don't mind if they play badly and GC win .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back