Oppo Camp Opposition Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit annoyed at Harley for throwing it all away like this after working so hard to make it back. Was always one of my favourite Suns. Gets what he deserves from making such a dumbarse decision. Obviously wasn’t thinking about his young family at all. Good luck supporting them now in the real world.

This gets worse..

Harley Bennell’s football career at Melbourne is almost certainly over as the Demons continue to make attempts to support the midfielder.
Bennell early on Monday had refused to return from Gold Coast to Maroochydore where his partner Amy and his one-year-old daughter Carter were along with his Melbourne teammates.

The No. 2 draft pick left the club’s hub on Saturday – breaking the league’s COVID -19 protocols – after a long session drinking with others until the early hours of Saturday morning.

The club had engaged staff to be with Bennell on Saturday but contact between the fringe midfielder and key officials has been on and off since then.

Bennell was told on Sunday unless he quickly returned to Maroochydore his family could try to fly back home to Western Australia under a special exemption without him.

Bennell’s partner Amy last month announced she was pregnant with their second child.

The Herald Sun understands Bennell’s father, John, has also recently been diagnosed with a serious health issue over the past week which may have impacted the midfielder’s decision-making.

The Demons are concerned by Bennell’s erratic and unpredictable behaviour since Saturday morning when he told friends he had left the club’s hub to swap a vehicle for a post-season holiday

Bennell ran out of petrol after leaving the hub and was assisted by police to help him fill up his car. He completed a breath test but was not over the limit.

While the Demons were keen to keep Bennell at the club for next season, his behaviour over the past three days has effectively torched any chances of a contract extension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is it even possible? I would expect contract commitments from both clubs would be part of the trade. AFL is really a joke.

The Western Bulldogs, Treloar's new AFL club, and Collingwood, his old one, are at loggerheads over the breakdown of the $4.5 million owed to the 27-year-old in his new five-year deal from 2021-25.

Clubs interested in Treloar, one of four players off-loaded by Collingwood in the Trade Period as part of a drastic salary dump, were of the belief the Pies were prepared to cover about $300,000 a year of the $900,000 a year total for Treloar.

The Bulldogs negotiated internally to those figures but, since lodging the intent of trade with the AFL, have not been able to get even near finalising the contract.

The Magpies are playing hard-ball on the amount to which they will commit, and are taking the view that this is not their problem.

It is believed the clubs are as far apart as $200,000 a year on at least one season of the five-season deal.

We need high pressure and fast play against the crows next week they don’t like it from the swans
They are definitely struggling to keep up with the Swans. I was really worried next week's game until I saw the Crows fall apart in this game. Now I think it's closer to a 50/50, assuming we comfortably beat North tonight.

Eagles played great 3rd quarter. Unstoppable Ryan. I now really appreciate a job Lemmens did on him. I still can't believe we were not far off to win the game in Perth.
Yeah looking at how West Coast are going against what some people consider a premiership contender really makes me proud of the effort we made last week and that we took it right up to west coast in it until the final five or so minutes.

Yeah looking at how West Coast are going against what some people consider a premiership contender really makes me proud of the effort we made last week and that we took it right up to west coast in it until the final five or so minutes.
Those 3 tall forwards will trouble a lot of teams with the rule changes. Another 9 goals from them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back