Health Organ donation

Remove this Banner Ad

Over the past week this topic has come very much to mind for my family.

I was wondering if many Bigfootyites are organ donors?

Plus I was wondering if many have created wills, & if so have they stipulated a "do not resuscitate" clause as part of their wishes?

This week I have found out that being one excludes the possibility of the second.

Over the past week this topic has come very much to mind for my family.

I was wondering if many Bigfootyites are organ donors?

Plus I was wondering if many have created wills, & if so have they stipulated a "do not resuscitate" clause as part of their wishes?

This week I have found out that being one excludes the possibility of the second.

We have an 8 month old son so only just decided to set-up our wills a little while ago. I was never asked anything about whether I would want to be resuscitated. It doesn't sound like a box I'd be checking though. People get revived all the time.

Over here, you get an organ donors sign on your licence. I haven't done it yet but my wife recently renewed hers and set it up. Seems like a logical thing to do.

We have an 8 month old son so only just decided to set-up our wills a little while ago. I was never asked anything about whether I would want to be resuscitated. It doesn't sound like a box I'd be checking though. People get revived all the time.

Over here, you get an organ donors sign on your licence. I haven't done it yet but my wife recently renewed hers and set it up. Seems like a logical thing to do.

The organ donor thing on the Driver's License doesn't carry much weight I've found out this week.

My sister-in-law was pronounced brain dead on Sunday night, she was an organ donor, however her elder sister tried to put a stop to it, she would have succeeded except for my wife talking her around.

The organ donor thing on the Driver's License doesn't carry much weight I've found out this week.

My sister-in-law was pronounced brain dead on Sunday night, she was an organ donor, however her elder sister tried to put a stop to it, she would have succeeded except for my wife talking her around.

I'm very sorry to hear that. I am happy that your wife was able to talk her around. I can't see a reason why you'd want to go against a persons final wishes.

I'm very sorry to hear that. I am happy that your wife was able to talk her around. I can't see a reason why you'd want to go against a persons final wishes.

She suddenly became paranoid, thinking the doctors were rushing things to gain access to her organs.

I am personally, once I'm dead go nuts for all I'd care. Yet I'm not convinced more organs harvested from dead people is this medical panacea it is marketed to be. Brings a lot of problems in itself. Powerful immune suppressant drugs are needed so the body doesn't reject a foreign organ.

By all means receiving an organ is the only option in 99.9% of cases but money needs to be diverted to actually finding cures and better treatment options.

Personally if my body was diseased to such an extent it needed a new organ I'm not convinced I'd accept another. Would bring a lot of complications on top of already fragile health. Easy for me to say now thou and it is up to each persons own choice.

I'm a donor and carry the card they gave me in my wallet.

This 'do not resuscitate' thing sounds a bit dodgy though - I want them to at least have a crack at bringing me back before they start farming me!

sorry about your loss

I did a PR campaign a few years ago with Donate Life. It's really worth talking to your loved ones about your wishes.

I do have a will. You really need to update them when needed as well.

Having a child it's also good to have life insurance.

Pretty sure DNR and organ donars are mutually exclusive

Do not resuscitate is just for hippies that are afraid they'll come back to life not 100%

I am an organ donor and have made it clear to my family my intentions. I also let them know I don't want to be on life support. I guess the problem comes when emotions take over and loved ones don't want to let go. I read an article somewhere that said terminally ill patients are happy to go, but the family don't want to let go of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been an organ donor for a long, long time. Have had a will for just as long. Hadn't really thought about DNR. Donation status should be on your driver's licence / ID card. I have CAR and R (motorcycle rider). They should add a D for Donor.

If they aren't going to have a (common sense) opt-out system then you shouldn't be able to receive an organ unless you are a donor. Obviously blanket statement and there are kids etc, but if you are an adult, you should be a donor. Obligatory religion comment: If religion stops you from donating, then it should stop you from receiving.

Such a stupid system that a family member is allowed to stop the legal wishes of a deceased relative. WHY?

@Asgardian, sorry for your loss.

If they aren't going to have a (common sense) opt-out system then you shouldn't be able to receive an organ unless you are a donor. Obviously blanket statement and there are kids etc, but if you are an adult, you should be a donor.

Hard to argue with that. If you're too selfish to donate you don't deserve to benefit from the donor system.

I would assume most religions that forbid donating wouldn't accept receiving a donor organ anyway. Don't some religions not even allow blood transfusions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back