May 5, 2003
Oval, SW8, South London
Other Teams
WA state-of-origin
One round a year, after round 16

Very simple. You win, you move up the following year, you lose you go down one

SOO Championship: Last years winner Vs Game 2 winner
Game 2: Loser of last years championship Vs Game 3 winner

And so on. Loser of the bottom game stays there, or plays no one, if there are an odd number of teams.

- All states are represented, no allies bullshit.

- Home grounds alternate, Vic Vs Wa first time they play is at the G, next time Subi

- money from the TV rights is split among the participants, outside the cap. Champions get a bonus. How many players are going to turn down say 30 k for 1 game?

- fill the bottom teams up with lower level players, if NT only have 10 AFL players, then get the best guys from NT playing in the NTFL, the VFL, or wherever they are. Get them to strut their stuff on TV to try to earn AFL spots, give them a payday.

Advantages

- teams mostly play teams close to their level
- you can add teams, if ACT or New Zealand can eventually field teams, they can be added in
- there's an Origin champion
- short, one weekend only
- any team can win the whole thing

And so on. Loser of the bottom game stays there, or plays no one, if there are an odd number of teams.

- Home grounds alternate, Vic Vs Wa first time they play is at the G, next time Subi

- money from the TV rights is split among the participants, outside the cap. Champions get a bonus. How many players are going to turn down say 30 k for 1 game?

- fill the bottom teams up with lower level players, if NT only have 10 AFL players, then get the best guys from NT playing in the NTFL, the VFL, or wherever they are. Get them to strut their stuff on TV to try to earn AFL spots, give them a payday.

Advantages

- you can add teams, if ACT or New Zealand can eventually field teams, they can be added in
I would give up 6 rounds of the home and away season for 1 round of SOO

lol, me too, but the broadcasters wouldnt like that too much

1 week is the best we are going to get i think, and this way, we still have champions

with this plan, it would go like this

Vic v WA, SA v QLD, NSW v Tas, NT dont play

assuming the favourites win, the following year

Vic v SA, WA v NSW, Qld v NT, Tas dont play

and so on, with the winner of the first game crowned champions

if it went OK, i would bring in a NZ team pretty quickly to play a 4th game. ok they wouldnt be competitive really, but at least the guys who got selected would get a nice big payday, and it would support the grassroots in the country that way.

NT has more than enough players in the afl to field a team

NT has more than enough players in the afl to field a team
indeed, the problem is that there is only 7 teams, so each year the lowest team wouldnt play.

NT would play in the second year, and if they won would stay in the comp the following year and move up

they could perhaps play a new zealand exhibition side who could eventually be added to the actual rotation

Just do it like U18's

Vic Metro v Vic Country
WA v SA
NSW/ACT v Qld
NT v TAS

everyone gets to play good rivalries.....

I agree with zero's idea, but instead of holding it mid-season, why not hold it when the International Rules Series is held in the seasons in which it isn't played? Because if players are willing to play International Rules in Mid-October, than surely the would be more than happy to play Sate of Origin around then also? This also means that players and clubs wouldn't have to worry about injuries as it's not mid-season.

Have state of origin instead of the pre-season comp. Players not selected play practice matches. Players need games leading into the season regardless to get match fit so clubs would not be as reluctant to let their players play compared to during the season.

Have state of origin instead of the pre-season comp. Players not selected play practice matches. Players need games leading into the season regardless to get match fit so clubs would not be as reluctant to let their players play compared to during the season.

good idea

this idea is nice in theory.. but it wont work. who is gonna want to see / play in tas v nsw ? 5000 at most. and NT fielding a team is laughable, who here likes watching port lose by 150? i think it would be worst than that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this idea is nice in theory.. but it wont work. who is gonna want to see / play in tas v nsw ? 5000 at most. and NT fielding a team is laughable, who here likes watching port lose by 150? i think it would be worst than that
I think a Tasmanian SoO side would get a capacity crowd in Tasmania. NSW v Qld would also get attention in 2 states used to SoO as the pinnacle of NRL rugby. NT, although obvous underdogs, wouldn't be too terrible against these states, especially if played in Darwin.

It sounds to me like Tasmania is a state crying out for more footy, play matches down there. NSW/ACT v Tasmanina. Tassie doesn't have a team yet so a SoO match would be a good start.

if u play this instead of nab cup then the players will treat it as a practice match and not even try, how can u build state of origin concept (where players put everything on the line for their state) when players never try in pre season games? NSW and queensland would see this as a cheap copy of NRL and it would get embarrassing support over there. Also most games would be non-contest slaughters.

It would only work if in the future if the states were more evenly matched and u somehow found a way to get players passionate about it, as well as the fans.

Advantages

sounds good but clubs simply dont want origin

4 teams:
Vic
WA
SA
The rest

Vic slaughers SA and the rest

Vic easy over WA

WA easy over SA, and slaughter the rest...

not a very good comp, not even at all. and how do u expect the players playing for "the rest" to feel proud and their supports to get behind it.

sounds good but clubs simply dont want origin
**** the clubs, we'll go around them

the AFL will run if for the financial benefit of the players and the AFLPA

considering our H+A games are worth more than a million each to the broadcasters, i would think that a SOO championship game, and other games leading up to it, would be worth more. split whatever it makes up to the players

the AFL can use the gate to run it, and promotion can be done by the broadcasters as contra.

and there are not many players who can turn down say 30k for a single game, or 60k if they actually win the championship.

I like the idea. I am from NSW and to tell the truth I would not care If NSW got pumped by Victoria in a SoO game. Just having a SoO would be something to get excited about.
how good would it be to watch NSW play SA at ANZ stadium, for a chance to play Victoria in a SOO championship game the following year?

one upset and your through

Remove this Banner Ad

Back