Resource Why we dont have Origin anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

A very accurate picture of Origin in the AFL then.
My view is that the 'best of the best' concept is attractive now & the AFL must eye the financial bonanza Origin is for its closest rival the NRL.

i Agree. Origin or some sort of Allstar game is inevitable if they want to add value to rights

The big plus for Origin is the commitment of the players - the comparison with the all star model is arguably lazy & misleading.

The problem is the number of players that have to be released for a meaningful origin series. Allstar means the minimum and most likely to be supported by the clubs.

Having been around when the push for Origin footy became a reality (the 1977 post season (V v WA), I cant help but compare the role of the Samoa NRL players today, as a Samoa meets Australia in the Rugby League World Cup.

Meeting to decide whether Samoa, Tonga receive tier one status will impact Origin​

It is understood the ARL commission do not have a large appetite to change the eligibility rules surrounding Origin - which currently only stops those players wanting to represent New Zealand and England to be ineligible.

Cant see people being interested in an Allstar game.
Agreed, people need to have a vested interest, whilst many would interested in watching traditional SOO the players and the clubs just aren’t interested, firstly it would have to be played on a bye round (lots of players nip overseas that week) or at the end of the season during players off time (good luck with that), the appetite for football among the public would also be very low at that time of year.

Only possible way it could work is to play it on a bye week and pay the players a massive participation fee, a fee that would be to good to refuse, Vic v The Rest.

I think it’s a dead stick.

Last edited:
Would be awesome for the game to revive it but can’t see it happening sadly
Too much at stake with injury these days

A lot of the points in the report probably still hold true: what would be the appetite for an annual, one-game, national "city v. country" all-star game? Bush v. the Big Smoke?

It still gives an incentive for players in terms of representation, allows us to concentrate the national talent pool into one instead of several different games, and could be a good curtain raiser for a season in late Feb/early March.

It still gives an incentive for players in terms of representation, allows us to concentrate the national talent pool into one instead of several different games, and could be a good curtain raiser for a season in late Feb/early March.
Sadly, because the sport itself is now run by the league, they basically see the league itself as the sport. Hence the confusion with some people calling the sport itself "AFL"...
I think the magic round concept is the final straw probably because if any serious vision to have the elite level of sport by the state of origin found legs , it had to be done between the international cricket summer over and before the club footy season started and allow for one club practice match beforee official club season starts. Early March seemed the ideal time after players had been training seriously for months already. Now the AFL have introduced the 23 rd match in season for every club, that short sighted move for the sport I think robs the small window of opportunity in club pre-season that state of origin could have found it's rightful home for the sport to be the most elite level of the sport to happen.
I just cannot see the thinking by the people running the sport now to have any vision for it which is sad, but it the way of the corporate business types that forget they also now are running the sport itself, and not just a business with KPI's the level of their vision.

Last edited:
A lot of the points in the report probably still hold true: what would be the appetite for an annual, one-game, national "city v. country" all-star game? Bush v. the Big Smoke?

Nil - a game of footy without passion cannot be compared to Origin.

I accept that SOO for our game is probably dead, but why can't we at least select a team for each of the States?

Bit of harmless, cheap fun, creates discussion and would provide the AFL with more media coverage which it craves.

Put it on Fox Footy and / or free to air, a 2 hour show during GF week or during the pre finals bye. Half hour per team, an interview with the captain, the coach with a few highlights of the some of the selected players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I accept that SOO for our game is probably dead, but why can't we at least select a team for each of the States?

Bit of harmless, cheap fun, creates discussion and would provide the AFL with more media coverage which it craves.

Put it on Fox Footy and / or free to air, a 2 hour show during GF week or during the pre finals bye. Half hour per team, an interview with the captain, the coach with a few highlights of the some of the selected players.
Better than nothing I guess

Like it.

That might be interesting if it drove enough discussion and hype to get people to want to bring back SoO. But if it was just a media thing, I feel it'd just be a whole bunch of inferior rep team opinions and just more media junk. Even the AA team which is effectively a similar concept but superior teams cops enough heat and criticism every year. But I do like it if it drove enough talk for people to give playing it a shot again.

That might be interesting if it drove enough discussion and hype to get people to want to bring back SoO. But if it was just a media thing, I feel it'd just be a whole bunch of inferior rep team opinions and just more media junk. Even the AA team which is effectively a similar concept but superior teams cops enough heat and criticism every year. But I do like it if it drove enough talk for people to give playing it a shot again.

Maybe the highlights shown during the 2 hour "show" could be of old SOO games just to remind us all how good SOO was. Younger fans have never seen SOO before and these highlights might stir up some passion for SOO again.

It's not that difficult. You have it like this for example.
Round 11 ( 5 games)
Bye weekend (origin)
Round 12 (4 games).

It means the top players get a bye either side of origin, players not selected get a 2 week break mid year.

Thursday: S.A v W.A (Adelaide oval)
Friday: Vic metro v Vic country (Marvel stadium)
Saturday afternoon: Tasmania v N.T (Darwin)
Saturday night: NSW V QLD (The Gabba).

Teams like Tassie and n.t can use state league players if their squad is stretched.

Great promotion of AFL as the true national code with strength in every state and the schedule can change each year. I actually think NSW could knock off S.A.

For example year 2 you could have W.A v Vic Metro at Optus stadium, Vic country v S.A at Geelong etc.

A very accurate picture of Origin in the AFL then.
My view is that the 'best of the best' concept is attractive now & the AFL must eye the financial bonanza Origin is for its closest rival the NRL.
Origin is huge in the NRL, how does this differ from the AFL?

1. Established rivalry and tradition

2. The number of states, only being NSW v Queensland means it’s always heavyweight v heavyweight

3. Origin has meaning to the players, they are playing for their state but also for their spot in the Kangaroos

2. The number of states, only being NSW v Queensland means it’s always heavyweight v heavyweight

3. Origin has meaning to the players, they are playing for their state but also for their spot in the Kangaroos

1. Do you honestly think that if given the chance there wouldn't be a rivalry between w.a and Vic, s.a and w.a, Vic country and metro and nsw and qld?

2. The number of states being higher makes it better, a true representation of the actual national code. The strength of Victoria gets spilt by putting then into metro and country, which adds more competitive games across the big 4 and more pride in the Vic jumper, especially for country.

3. Origin would have meaning as you are good enough to be selected for your state, you are seen as the best in the business playing in the best games in front of big crowds and getting paid more than those that don't get selected. Also it's a different experience, imagine a guy like coniglio getting to play for w.a against Vic metro at a full Optus stadium. It's a different experience for players which gives them something to look forward to, particularly if they are in a bottom team that season, with not much to play for.

4. It's a great promotion for the game in the expansion states. Nsw and qld have been told by their local media that nobody plays footy there, switch on the tv 'bloody hell I didn't know we had over 50 players in the AFL (nsw) and tex walker and Hawkins are actually from here'. It helps with brand recognition and player recognition, it's the only way anybody in the southern states knows any nrl players that don't follow the sport closely.

I really like this idea. The reason I've never understood the tribalism around State of Origin (in any code) is because to me the real divide in Australia isn't between states, it's between city and country. People living in Adelaide probably have more in common with Melburnians than they would with people living in Bordertown.

Origin the AFL had all of the rivalry of the NRL, but the national comp put paid to that. Many here do no know that there were interstate games played in Origin era that were not played under Origin rules.

Its interesting to see the challenge the Pacifika players are making to Origin NRL style.

Last edited:
Origin the AFL had all of the rivalry of the NRL, but the national comp put paid to that. Many here do no know that there were interstate games played in Origin era that were not played under Origin rules.

Its interesting to see the challenge the Pacifika players are making to Origin NRL style.
Yeah they use to be rep teams from each league then became state of origin. Aussie rules never had two evenly matched rivals like the NRL has

1. Do you honestly think that if given the chance there wouldn't be a rivalry between w.a and Vic, s.a and w.a, Vic country and metro and nsw and qld?

2. The number of states being higher makes it better, a true representation of the actual national code. The strength of Victoria gets spilt by putting then into metro and country, which adds more competitive games across the big 4 and more pride in the Vic jumper, especially for country.

3. Origin would have meaning as you are good enough to be selected for your state, you are seen as the best in the business playing in the best games in front of big crowds and getting paid more than those that don't get selected. Also it's a different experience, imagine a guy like coniglio getting to play for w.a against Vic metro at a full Optus stadium. It's a different experience for players which gives them something to look forward to, particularly if they are in a bottom team that season, with not much to play for.

4. It's a great promotion for the game in the expansion states. Nsw and qld have been told by their local media that nobody plays footy there, switch on the tv 'bloody hell I didn't know we had over 50 players in the AFL (nsw) and tex walker and Hawkins are actually from here'. It helps with brand recognition and player recognition, it's the only way anybody in the southern states knows any nrl players that don't follow the sport closely.
Vic Country v Vic Metro would be a flop. It’s not under 18s

Having more teams doesn’t make it better the beauty of Origin is it’s two sides every year

Ultimately for players in the NRL representing their state means more than winning the comp. It’s not the same in the AFL never will be.

Seeing NSW and Queensland get flogged each year will not be good for the game. Origin has helped RL grow in the rest of Aus while those sides having no participation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back