Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

At this one too. I had to
move after directing some rowdy Collingwood supporters to the scoreboard late in the piece. I ended up with about 20 blokes swearing and threatening me. Discretion was the better part of valour.

Beating Collingwood is so much fun. Bernie kicks his ton with a ball burster. I was at the Junction Oval for this moment in history. Bernie Quinlan was the most prodigiously talented footballer I have ever seen. I would rank him above Voss, Akermanis and Black because of his versatility. In 1981 he won a Brownlow playing at Centre Half Forward and then later in his career he played as a highly mobile full forward, kicking 116 goals in 1983 and 105 goals in 1984. During his nine years at Fitzroy he kicked 576 goals at an average of 64 goals a season, a figure made all the more remarkable by the number of games he missed in his first and his last season at Fitzroy. Amazingly Quinlan didn’t taper off as he got older, he actually got better. There was no slow decline for him. In his last four seasons he kicked 357 goals at an average of just over 89 per season. In those last four seasons he averaged just over 4 goals a game over an 86 game run. Superboot was a superstar and a modest one at that.

Last edited:
Additional footage from the 1981 Elimination Final win over Essendon. I’ve kept the Footy Record from this one. The 1981 side should have, could have, might have won a flag if we weren’t bundled out by Collingwood the next week by a single point, having hit the front and looked like we could pinch it.

Do I have to remind members that we currently have a ban on phoning into talk back radio. I’m fairly sure this is DERRINALPHIL on the phone to Rex, despite his clever use of the alias “Norm”. I will be inviting him to appear before the Rules Committee to give him a chance to clear his name.

I went to Holy Rosary Heathcote

Beating Collingwood is so much fun. Bernie kicks his ton with a ball burster. I was at the Junction Oval for this moment in history. Bernie Quinlan was the most prodigiously talented footballer I have ever seen. I would rank him above Voss, Akermanis and Black because of his versatility. In 1981 he won a Brownlow playing at Centre Half Forward and then later in his career he played as a highly mobile full forward, kicking 116 goals in 1983 and 105 goals in 1984. During his nine years at Fitzroy he kicked 576 goals at an average of 64 goals a season, a figure made all the more remarkable by the number of games he missed in his first and his last season at Fitzroy. Amazingly Quinlan didn’t taper off as he got older, he actually got better. There was no slow decline for him. In his last four seasons he kicked 357 goals at an average of just over 89 per season. In those last four seasons he averaged just over 4 goals a game over an 86 game run. Superboot was a superstar and a modest one at that.

What a joy to listen to Doug Heywood calling a game of football.

What a joy to listen to Doug Heywood calling a game of football.
He was fantastic! On the “Showbiz”
end of the spectrum, Lou Richards wasn’t bad either. I grew up with Michael Williamson, Butch Gale, Peter Booth, Geoff Leek, Doug Heywood, Drew Morphett, Doug Bigelo, Jack Edwards, Lou Richards, Bob Skilton, Jack Dyer, Peter Landy and Sandy Roberts. Hearing their voices as they call or discuss a Fitzroy win is the sound that is made in heaven.

Last edited:
Special mention to Peter McKenna, Don Scott and Bernie Quinlan, who in the late 80’s and early 90’s were the best ‘special comments’ callers in the business. Before football callers became fully corporate and supine mouth pieces for the AFL line, they would provide commentary that reflected the reality of what viewers were seeing and they weren’t afraid to give it to the umpires when they made mistakes. Listen to Peter McKenna in this call. It is gold. At one point he basically calls it correctly when he says that one umpire is murdering Fitzroy. When Paul Roos starts abusing the umpire, McKenna says something like “I don’t blame him.” The interactions between McKenna and Bernie Quinlan are GOLD. It is so real and in touch with the reality of viewers…not like the rubbish we get today.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yesterday was a sad day, with the passing of Ron Peno, lead singer of Died Pretty after a battle with cancer.

Died Pretty were a truly amazing band and Ron Peno was one of Australia’s greatest rock vocalists. Died Pretty and Ron Peno produced some of the most magisterial music and live performances ever. I first saw them at the Seaview Ballroom in Melbourne in 1984 and in countless other pub venues in the 80’s. I was proud to see them supporting REM, where they delivered a short, sharp killer set and most recently at the Croxton when they reformed for a tour in 2021.

Yesterday was a sad day, with the passing of Ron Peno, lead singer of Died Pretty after a battle with cancer.

Died Pretty were a truly amazing band and Ron Peno was one of Australia’s greatest rock vocalists. Died Pretty and Ron Peno produced some of the most magisterial music and live performances ever. I first saw them at the Seaview Ballroom in Melbourne in 1984 and in countless other pub venues in the 80’s. I was proud to see them supporting REM, where they delivered a short, sharp killer set and most recently at the Croxton when they reformed for a tour in 2021.

RIP Ron, one of my favourites. So sad

The youngest of my grandchildren turns 13 tomorrow, we are going to a Matinee performance of Mamma Mia the musical at QPAC and then having Uber Nando's(her choice) as an early dinner.

Can not believe how fast the time has gone, grandchildren all now teenagers:eek:, 13 tomorrow, boy turns 16 in 3 weeks and another boy who turned 18 in May.

🎉🎂🎉🥳

OVER 50’s CLIQUE FINALS SERIES ANNOUNCEMENT.

Today the Over 50’s Clique have undertaken to officially and publicly endorse the following players for the 2023 PREMIERSHIP TILT.

Jarryd Lyons
Callum Ah Chee
Ryan Lester
Deven Robertson

All players have the distinction of having been dropped by Chris Fagan this season, which is a key criteria considered by the Over 50’s Clique Selection Panel. Each ENDORSED PLAYER has been subsequently recognised as an ABSOLUTE GUN FOOTBALLER and Official Over 50’s Clique “Pet”.

#Lester200
#FrogMarch
#LesterArmy

Further hashtags to follow.

Last edited:
OVER 50’s CLIQUE FINALS SERIES ANNOUNCEMENT.

Today the Over 50’s Clique have undertaken to officially and publicly endorse the following players for the 2023 PREMIERSHIP TILT.

Jarryd Lyons
Callum Ah Chee
Ryan Lester
Deven Robertson

All players have the distinction of having been dropped by Chris Fagan this season, which is a key criteria considered by the Over 50’s Clique Selection Panel. Each ENDORSED PLAYER has been subsequently recognised as an ABSOLUTE GUN FOOTBALLER and Official Over 50’s Clique “Pet”.

#Lester200
#FrogMarch
#LesterArmy

Further hashtags to follow.
What does a hash tag do?

I love this Over 50’s Clique question. This is why you are on the Executive Committee of the Clique DERRINALPHIL. The hashtag collates all posts that use the hashtag and if you ‘click on’ the hashtag, you see them. #GrouseQuestions
So how is it used?

Do I click on it first and then post?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back