Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey all, Happy New Year!

Pamcake1 and I have started a music thread with an 80’s Indie focus. Feel free to drop in, watch the thread and join the conversation. It’s like this thread, but about music and art and fashion and gigs and things.

Lifestyle - "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

M Malice I found this when digging in the back garden... It's a plastic badge (pin long rusted away) and probably from the 1970s.

View attachment 1876405
I am not sure that would be from the 1970s Roy:think:, Valleys were at their absolute zenith in the 70s, won 5 Premierships and lost another couple of Grand Finals, I was there for all of them. I was even more fanatical on Valleys back then than I am now with the Lions, I have mellowed.

"Support the return of the Diehards" leads me to think that it could be from the mid 90s when they folded for a short time, maybe that phrase means something else though.

There is a pattern here. Until we start burying sides, every team is going to think they are a chance against us, irrespective of how far behind they are at half time. Where does the buck stop?

Last edited:
COACHING TIPS FROM THE UNDER 12’s - LISTEN UP FAGES!

IMG_6319.jpeg
#1.
There is nothing to be gained by taking one of your best defenders and turning them into your worst forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is my melancholy duty to advise that Ross Thornton has passed away at the age of 67. He wore No.4 and was an integral part of the Fitzroy teams that I loved as a boy. Recruited from Camperdown I believe.
RIP
Sad news. Fitzroy FC put out a statement today. Puts a game of football in perspective.

It is my melancholy duty to advise that Ross Thornton has passed away at the age of 67. He wore No.4 and was an integral part of the Fitzroy teams that I loved as a boy. Recruited from Camperdown I believe.
RIP
Oh no! Only 67! I loved Ross Thornton. He was from Camperdown. Video tribute coming this weekend.

Coaching Tips From The Under12’s
- Kane Cornes come on down!

“To hear Chris Fagan, he had no idea. Honestly, that was a coach who had no idea. Whether that’s because he sits on the interchange bench and didn’t have the stats in front of him or he wasn’t able to summarise what had gone on or whether he was just in shock, but that was as unimpressive a post-match media conference from a coach as I’ve heard all year,” Cornes remarked on AFL Nation.

“We can be critical at times but if you’re a Brisbane Lions supporter asking what’s going wrong, you got no answers from the coach, he’s got no idea what’s going on.

“That’s the biggest concern.”

Cornes did note a difficult draw as perhaps the only positive in Brisbane’s favour early in the season, but hit back at suggestions Fagan was asked unanswerable questions in the wake of a second consecutive disappointing loss.

“What was in the leadup, was it the wet game the week before, how did they review the previous week, what was training like, what was the intensity, was there any inkling there, what was the psyche of the players, how was the warmup? (Fagan) is the one that should know,” Cornes offered as what Fagan could have referred to.

“It was the most unimpressive post-match media conference I’ve heard. At least most coaches will give you some answer… there has to be a better answer than, ‘I have no idea’ and ‘we’ll watch the vision’.” https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/04...-media-conference-ive-heard-fagan-under-fire/

1714216467311.jpeg
Watch games and post match, be able to explain what happened and why. If you have no idea, try not to make that obvious to others.

View attachment 1972952
Watch games and post match, be able to explain what happened and why. If you have no idea, try not to make that obvious to others.
Wayne Bennett is regarded as one of, if not the best coach of Rugby League ever.

His pressers are legendary…because he hates them and he hates the journos.

He has never ever given or explained anything to anyone - everything is kept in house. Last I looked his 2nd year start up team were up the top of the NRL ladder.

I’ve never worried too much about what’s said in them. They serve a purpose but that’s about it.

View attachment 1972952
Just on this, what is apparent in the past six months and maybe even 18 months and happy to be told otherwise, but apart from Fish, Fagan seems to dine out on these junior reporters or no name reporters that are too scared to ask hard questions so we end getting benign PC after benign PC.

Even Fish is clearly too cautious these days because all these reporters are too sit scared to press testy Fagan’s buttons because the moment anyone comes near a tough question he gets his back up and shooting daggers. Even Fiah said on TRD this week that he feels he needs to settle Fagan with a non threatening question.

In other words, would Fages be willing to even be interviewed by a Cornes or someone that isnt intimidated by him because all I can tell from these PC and mid week interviews or a Friday India that Fages has turned into somewhat of a bully with these reporters. I mean why he is so defensive and I suspect Cornes, like Aka and Lloyd are right, he’s out of answers and refusing to admit it.

Under 12’s had another good win today. All tied up at 31 points apiece at three quarter time, but we started moving it out of the middle with ease and kicked 2.4 for the quarter while only conceding 2 behinds.

If Fages needs a hand with the midfield group, I am available.

Under 12’s had another good win today. All tied up at 31 points apiece at three quarter time, but we started moving it out of the middle with ease and kicked 2.4 for the quarter while only conceding 2 behinds.

If Fages needs a hand with the midfield group, I am available.
I look forward to the segment on Couch tomorrow night where they laud your "brutal" stoppage dominance but call into question your ability to score from turnovers.

"I'm not convinced it's sustainable in finals" I believe is what they're rolling with 🤔

Remove this Banner Ad

Back