Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not defending him or the coaches really because he is having a very underwhelming year.
But I assume the coaches have given him a specific set of instructions for the week and he met them which is why they gave him a vote as encouragement??
Exactly. It looked like a keep your chin up mate you're doing your best to do what we want.

Rayner got a coaches vote on Saturday.

He was poor and got gifted 2 of his 3 goals , the rest of the time he overran the ball and generally jogged along out of the play.

I'm actually getting a little concerned about this irrational obsession the coach(s) have that Rayner needs to be a good player.
Seems like one of those coaches votes similar to the ones that coaches give out to junior players as encouragement awards for players that aren’t that good but give good effort.

Martinson, I know you don’t like me comparing pick ones but I think I said after about round three that Harley Reid is already a better player than Cam. I know I copped some heat on here for daring to say as much but surely after ten rounds we can all put it to bed that Harley Reid is way better a player after nine games and showed significantly more than Cam ever has after 130 odd games or at any stage of his career.

What I can’t understand is that Cam actually has some of the tools Reid does but just can’t seem to replicate anything like it.

He was poor and got gifted 2 of his 3 goals , the rest of the time he overran the ball and generally jogged along out of the play.

I'm actually getting a little concerned about this irrational obsession the coach(s) have that Rayner needs to be a good player.
As a Fitzroy supporter from a very young age - it was a thrill to play under a former Royboy for a season in the early 90’s.

That Royboy was Brett Grimley a tough as nails hard man originally from Qld.

Grimley received best on ground votes one day in the B&F from then coach Robert Walls. I believe his stats were 2 kicks and 3 handballs.

He played forward pocket. His job was to crash into Peter McCormick every time Bernie Quinlan made a lead - Bernie kicked ten at the Junction and we smashed the 🥧.

Grimmers had a bad back when he coached us and I believe we finished him in terms of active involvement in the game. But of the few games he played that year…he certainly straightened us up as a side and as a quick ish sort of rover he certainly cleared a few paths for me.

My younger brother accidentally finished his coaching career one night at Camberwell Sports Ground

As a Fitzroy supporter from a very young age - it was a thrill to play under a former Royboy for a season in the early 90’s.

Grimley received best on ground votes one day in the B&F from then coach Robert Walls. I believe his stats were 2 kicks and 3 handballs.

He played forward pocket. His job was to crash into Peter McCormick every time Bernie Quinlan made a lead - Bernie kicked ten at the Junction and we smashed the 🥧.

Grimmers had a bad back when he coached us and I believe we finished him in terms of active involvement in the game. But of the few games he played that year…he certainly straightened us up as a side and as a quick ish sort of rover he certainly cleared a few paths for me.

My younger brother accidentally finished his coaching career one night at Camberwell Sports Ground
If Cam had the ticker and tried to play like Brett he'd be a champ.

Seems like one of those coaches votes similar to the ones that coaches give out to junior players as encouragement awards for players that aren’t that good but give good effort.

Martinson, I know you don’t like me comparing pick ones but I think I said after about round three that Harley Reid is already a better player than Cam. I know I copped some heat on here for daring to say as much but surely after ten rounds we can all put it to bed that Harley Reid is way better a player after nine games and showed significantly more than Cam ever has after 130 odd games or at any stage of his career.

What I can’t understand is that Cam actually has some of the tools Reid does but just can’t seem to replicate anything like it.
Well there's no comparison between Cam and Harley. But it's unfair because Harley is a bit of a freak at his age.

Cam doesn't have the tools people seem to think he has.

His biggest issue is ordinary skills followed by no tank.

If everyone just accepted he's an average player and ordinary on the days when things don't go his way then we could just let natural selection processes take their course.

Heh. Grimmer unaware at the time that afltables dot com would become a thing.

Now a very successful business man I believe

Anyone care to convince me otherwise that Rayner does give a sh!t about his career, the Lions etc. or that Fagan has served him well throughout his career by not dropping him. He’s a deadset embarrassment and even more so as a number one or first round pick.

Anyone care to convince me otherwise that Rayner does give a sh!t about his career, the Lions etc. or that Fagan has served him well throughout his career by not dropping him. He’s a deadset embarrassment and even more so as a number one or first round pick.

I am not as down on him as some others but he seems to be at a loss at the moment on how to improve - both the coaches and his problem IMO. He is trying hard but if often just not in the right places / making the right decisions.

Look at Kai Lohman, who had to play in the VFL for 2 years to improve aspects of his game. It wouldn't hurt Rayner to have at least 1 week in the VFL.

I am not as down on him as some others but he seems to be at a loss at the moment on how to improve - both the coaches and his problem IMO. He is trying hard but if often just not in the right places / making the right decisions.

Look at Kai Lohman, who had to play in the VFL for 2 years to improve aspects of his game. It wouldn't hurt Rayner to have at least 1 week in the VFL.
Rayner is total crap. Doesn't chase, doesn't go in near hard enough most of the time and his skills are terrible for someone who's been in the system as long as he has. Yet to see any desperation or knock em over passion in his game which is what we need from someone built like him.

Fagan's done too . His post match today was completely delusional and he spoke as if we're a bottom of the list struggling team who's doing ok all things considered when barely a few weeks ago we were ready to take the next step for a flag. He's out of answers .Times up. But like all clubs we'll fiddle fart around and he'll keep talking the talk for another year or two.

We need to rejuvenate the list ,the players in it and the coaching group otherwise the window is done.

Just my honest thoughts. Seen the same thing unfold more times than I've had hot dinners.

We don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater as long as Fagan goes along with the process , he can stay there for another year as long as we get a process in place.

Rayner is total crap. Doesn't chase, doesn't go in near hard enough most of the time and his skills are terrible for someone who's been in the system as long as he has. Yet to see any desperation or knock em over passion in his game which is what we need from someone built like him.

Fagan's done too . His post match today was completely delusional and he spoke as if we're a bottom of the list struggling team who's doing ok all things considered when barely a few weeks ago we were ready to take the next step for a flag. He's out of answers .Times up. But like all clubs we'll fiddle fart around and he'll keep talking the talk for another year or two.

We need to rejuvenate the list ,the players in it and the coaching group otherwise the window is done.

Just my honest thoughts. Seen the same thing unfold more times than I've had hot dinners.

We don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater as long as Fagan goes along with the process , he can stay there for another year as long as we get a process in place.

Agree. He was not watching the same games as us if he thinks that the side's performance today was acceptable for a team aiming for the top 4.

Agree. He was not watching the same games as us if he thinks that the side's performance today was acceptable for a team aiming for the top 4.
The softly softly approach with the players has at this stage led to some of them just turning up for the pay cheque.

We just go missing for portions of games and it's been happening in nearly every game this year.

You could see the enthusiasm of the Hawks far outweighed ours today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The softly softly approach with the players has at this stage led to some of them just turning up for the pay cheque.

We just go missing for portions of games and it's been happening in nearly every game this year.

You could see the enthusiasm of the Hawks far outweighed ours today.
You either clear out players or coaches - it has to be one or the other - if you stand still you’ll get left behind and right now where heading south

You either clear out players or coaches - it has to be one or the other - if you stand still you’ll get left behind and right now where heading south
I know. Everyone within the club won't recognise the issue. But our efforts show something's on the nose.

There was just blase resignation in Fagan's presser today and whilst I know he just wants it over and done with there was something about it that really put me off.

Agree 100%. As I said a few weeks ago, when a coach loses control of a player empowered team then it's difficult to get back. Jason Demetriou lost his job at South Sydney for this (interestingly he modelled his coaching philosophy on Richmond - amazing they stayed up for so long but the crash was hard).

I know. Everyone within the club won't recognise the issue. But our efforts show something's on the nose.

There was just blase resignation in Fagan's presser today and whilst I know he just wants it over and done with there was something about it that really put me off.
The problem I have is that this isn’t the first time this year that his PCs reek of delusion.

I know people will say that you can’t take anything from them or that how he reacts is nothing on what the messaging would be to the players but how is the same thing happening over and over again this year and yet nothing is changing or in the very least, the players aren’t reacting anymore.

That to me says that either Fagan has lost the dressing room or the players aren’t buying that this group can win a flag and have lost faith in one another. IMO, the only way this changes with this group is for a new coach in 25 otherwise that will be this window done and unless the club do’s something quick, we could easily be back in the mess of being rubbish in the era of compromised drafts just like we were during the Suns/Giants period.

This end of season is really a line in the sand period that will either make or break the club for the next 10 years.

The problem I have is that this isn’t the first time this year that his PCs reek of delusion.

I know people will say that you can’t take anything from them or that how he reacts is nothing on what the messaging would be to the players but how is the same thing happening over and over again this year and yet nothing is changing or in the very least, the players aren’t reacting anymore.

That to me says that either Fagan has lost the dressing room or the players aren’t buying that this group can win a flag and have lost faith in one another. IMO, the only way this changes with this group is for a new coach in 25 otherwise that will be this window done and unless the club do’s something quick, we could easily be back in the mess of being rubbish in the era of compromised drafts just like we were during the Suns/Giants period.

This end of season is really a line in the sand period that will either make or break the club for the next 10 years.
Fages has been done since the Hawthorn saga broke but he's a pugnacious little guy and will never give up.

Nonetheless his style had a shelf life and too many players who've had the same message for 6 or 7 years are now well paid and don't seem to have assumed any on field leadership or desperation for success

He's done. I know that's very harsh. And there's no guarantee we could get anyone better. But if something drastic doesn't change in the next off season I'd say that's us done as well for a while with half a dozen key players getting near the end.

He certainly wouldn’t have got one today. He was putrid. In the first half he had 2 disposals and in the second he had 5. They are Sam Sheldon numbers.

Absolutely terrible and after the game he’s chatting to the Worpal and laughing as if we’d won. Rayner is lazy and complacent. Just embarrassing.

I see the Publicity Department have conceded. When opening the Lions application on their phones up until the weekend fans were met with a full screen image announcing “OUR TIME IS NOW!” After the weekend that has been replaced with the fairly nonsensical “FEEL OUR ROAR!” Perhaps by the end of the year we will get “SMELL OUR FAILURE!”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back