Pace through the middle

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with J-lo that we need speed through the middle, I've been banging on about building our closing speed across the ground for ages as I always thought it might help create turnovers, either through creating referred pressure, or making an opposing players believe there's more space around a player down-field then there actually is (if you've got good closing speed that can invite a pass into space you can then quickly close down.)

I'm all for drafting faster players like Western as a way of building this - but I also reckon the coaching panel could be doing more to build on the closing speed of the players we already have.

My partner loves athletics and is currently receiving coaching from a known and respected local sprinting coach. Watching him coach her in proper running technique and strength / conditioning drills, it makes me realise just how s**t the running technique of the average AFL player actually Is.

At time of writing I'm down at the running track, watching dozens of kids being taught athletics by professional coaches... and Christ it's like I'm surrounded by a dozen or so teenage Stephen Hills!! I doubt any of them are a good kick of the footy, but by God they all move so much like he did.

Hilly had this fluid, effortless running style... He would glide over the ground like an airborne, string-less kite made of Purple and ebony silk. It was wonderful to watch him run, and it was impossible to catch him if he had a six foot head start.

I've counted at least five or six teenagers here that run like Hilly this morning... Gliding effortlessly across the ground - no wasted energy, Heads up, trunks straight, eyes front, legs and arms pumping in perfect unison and helping maintaining their momentum, the balls of their feet barely kiss the ground with each step. Some of these kids could run in kleats on a track made of rice paper... and still not leave a single mark.

In comparison to these guys, the average AFL midfielder runs like they're trying to tear a ditch across the field using only their heels... Their heads are down or forwards, Upper back arched as they run, arms out of sync with their legs or else swinging across their bodies slightly instead of swinging straight and parallel to their trunk,... Legs pushing into the ground...The difference is staggering.

Yes, AFL players need to keep their arms free to receive a ball in play, and they need to look sideways at a team-mate and match their team-mates speed to make a receive...but that's all forwards movement towards goal. On the defensive transition, when they're caught behind the ball and trying to get back to the D50 and fill space, all that matters is speed... but so many of them still run like their feet are shovels, with legs pounding downwards INTO the earth, focussing their energy down into the ground instead of pushing them smoothly ALONG the top of its surface.

I'm not a coach's rectum frankly, in either running or footy, and can't run, or play footy or coach somebody for s**t. But I do have eyes, and I can describe what I see. Running across the field like these young kids do saves energy, while running like a footballer does can waste it.

If J-Lo is serious about getting midfield speed, maybe our next coaching position should be a professional sprinting and middle distance running coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back