Past Players Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 24 - Mark Coughlan

I hope he can get back to his best!!!!!!
He was a champion at his best.
icon10.gif

Re: 24 - Mark Coughlan

i dont see why he cant get back. he was in pretty good form at coburg towards the end of the year, if we had made the 8 it would have been interesting to see if he would have gotten a game. if he fires, and if cuz does too we will have one of the best midfields of recent years.

Re: 7 - Nathan G. Brown

its great to have so many options up forward, and forwards who can take a turn in the middle. this guy is pure class, and if he has a big season then we are almost unstoppable. i remember watching him when he was a bulldog and he is the one player that you dont want getting it when he plays for the other team. he will hurt you. big time. is capable of destroying ANY defender when he is on. is capable of destroying ANY team when he is on.

Re: 2009 Expectations: Jay Schulz

I still feel he is our best bet at full forward this year. Cleve hasn't shown me enough and with Schulz at 24 this year I think he deserves first crack.

If Rance comes on and McGuane, Moore and Thursty all hold up we don't need him in the backline.

I think he suffered from our Richo dominated mindset ( and lack of midfield skill) to forward line delivery in the past.

We are past that now and He might just prove himself.

Geez, Ive heard we have been Using Patto as a forward at training. Surely he gets the nod before Patto.

Re: 2009 Expectations: Jay Schulz

Schultz used to be a deadly kick for goal but now he's forgotten how to kick for goal after spending a bit of time down back. As a forward he was a good lead and mark with a nice kick, but he wasn't going to get many oppurtunities with Richo down there. He had countless injuries during his first 3 or 4 years, so he has only been able to play regular footy over the last 2 years. I'd keep him at CHB and he should become a pretty good player with further experience and a good run with injury

Raines Is Flying

By all reports Raines is flying this pre-season and he will be back at his best. He was one of our better youngsters before 2007, and as soon as he dislocates his knee-cap he is now useless and will be gone by seasons end?..... give me a break. He will be one of our better players, just you wait and see. King, Tambo, and himself will be mid-sized to small defenders. He is a crucial part to the small defender position in our backline.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsid=71231

Re: Raines Is Flying

I'm ashamed to see all the Richmond faithful calling for his head. He was one of our better players till he got injured. He's better then Tambling and King when on song.

Good to hear. Like most I was a little concerned with his 07 form, mainly his disposal and decision making but by no means have I given up hope with him.

He's a determined bugger, I look forward to see what he can produce this year.

With a full pre season and an injury left behind him, he can prove his doubters wrong.
I thought prior to his injury, he had a superb 2006, being one of our leading lights in a pretty dark season. Puts pressure on players like King to lift there own performance levels ,otherwise they will be the ones on the outer with an in form Raines pushing for a permanent recall in our backline

Hope he gets back to being a regular

Great to see that there is a fair bit of competition to break into our team.

I too cant beleive the tigers fans writing him off, surely they missed the impact he had at only 19/20 years of age. More so than most I would say. He has bulked up alot and has alot of versatility, will be our lock down small defender.

Yeah go get em Raines. Show madtiger and all the other idiots that dont think your any good just how good of a football player you are.

Madtiger take note.

Raines >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hughes, Graham, Pettifer and all the other hacks u like lol :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO our best small defender. We were smashed by small forwards last season Jones, Milne etc. King needs to work on his defensive game, he played more as a rebounding defender last year. So atm Raines is in our best 22.

By all reports Raines is flying this pre-season and he will be back at his best. He was one of our better youngsters before 2007, and as soon as he dislocates his knee-cap he is now useless and will be gone by seasons end?

Hang on a minute TP, he was fit for the whole 2007 season, but when asked to go from playing 3rd small defender on nobody in 2006 to taking responsibility for the 1st-2nd best small forward in 2007, he stumbled badly. In his defence, he did suffer the same fate as King - asked to play on the small forwards Newman can't compete with (which is a very long list of mostly average players).

In 2007 his defensive efforts were occasionally acceptable at best, while his disposal and decision making were downright horrible. You can just get away these days with a great defender who has disposal flaws (Kellaway type), you can just get away with a lousy defender who has good run and disposal (McMahon/Newman type), but Raines displayed ALL these flaws constantly in '07 and you can't even dream of getting away with that.

There's a long list of players who look good when played in easy junior development roles which give them the freedom to play with flair, then fail miserably when they're asked to move to a more responsible, senior role. I sincerely hope Raines doesn't join them, but I honestly don't think he has the tools to avoid ending up on that list - and off our list if anyone else will have him.

By all reports Raines is flying this pre-season and he will be back at his best. He was one of our better youngsters before 2007, and as soon as he dislocates his knee-cap he is now useless and will be gone by seasons end?..... give me a break. He will be one of our better players, just you wait and see. King, Tambo, and himself will be mid-sized to small defenders. He is a crucial part to the small defender position in our backline.

It's just a shame he has the decison making skills of Richard Tambling and the finishing skills of David Swallow.

All heart, no skill. His name has carried him this far.

You are wrong!

To say his name has carried him this far proves you really know little about him. His hard working, never say die attitude ia what has carried him this far, combined with his unquestionable bravery.

His skills are not great, but not as bad as many think, his decision making will be better this year purely by the fact he will have more support.

Hang on a minute TP, he was fit for the whole 2007 season, but when asked to go from playing 3rd small defender on nobody in 2006 to taking responsibility for the 1st-2nd best small forward in 2007, he stumbled badly. In his defence, he did suffer the same fate as King - asked to play on the small forwards Newman can't compete with (which is a very long list of mostly average players).

In 2007 his defensive efforts were occasionally acceptable at best, while his disposal and decision making were downright horrible. You can just get away these days with a great defender who has disposal flaws (Kellaway type), you can just get away with a lousy defender who has good run and disposal (McMahon/Newman type), but Raines displayed ALL these flaws constantly in '07 and you can't even dream of getting away with that.

There's a long list of players who look good when played in easy junior development roles which give them the freedom to play with flair, then fail miserably when they're asked to move to a more responsible, senior role. I sincerely hope Raines doesn't join them, but I honestly don't think he has the tools to avoid ending up on that list - and off our list if anyone else will have him.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I agree with Razor. Your summary of Raines and his weaknesess is spot on. I was always very critical of his lack of awreness and wanting to kick the ball at all costs. Also, tries to take them on ...every time.
It does amaze me , however, that you can see all this with Raines but fail to see the very same problems with JON.

By the way, you did mention tackling!!

man you must be the biggest nimrod to walk this earth. Where the **** did anyone suggest he was useless after he dislocated his knee cap. He was in dudsville well before doing it and his dudness and benny hill like plays were the topic of discussion well before it, in fact, his injury gave him some respite, purely out of respect for an injured tiger.
Some of you ****ing meatheads need to grow a brain, I am convinced. ;)

Kel Moore's improvement will really help Raines. He was playing quasi KPD at times, but can now focus on his strengths opposed to smaller players.

Not convinced he's the perfect matchup for the likes of Leon Davis or other nippy forwards, but I reckon he'd spank a Medhurst.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back